Used 2004 Nissan Altima Consumer Reviews - 179 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Nissan Altima - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Altima model:

DO NOT BUY!!
By johna_tigner94

2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I have nothing but trouble since buying this car. I am only getting about 18 miles to the gallon. I drive only back and forth to school (15 min from home) and I go through $80.00 a week in gas. Nobody can figure out what is wrong with it. My alignment goes out a week after getting it fixed, it makes weird noises going over bumps. When I shut off my car after drving it smells like sulfur. The steering wheel shakes on a regular basis. This is a car that is just going to nickle and dime you to death.
DO NOT BUY! It is a waste of moneyyy!!

The only thing good about this car is the sound system.

Worthless!
By Stranded

2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Nobody can fix this car. Was told it was crank/cam sensors. No! Timing. No! New computer. No! The thing won't start. The dealer has no idea and neither do two reputable mechanics. I'm a real estate agent with no (running) car in a market that makes it tough to buy a new car!

Create a product that works!

2004 Altima with 225,000 miles
By Bob S

2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Can't beat this car. I bought it in 2005 and it had 19,000 miles. Now it has 225,000 miles and still going strong. I have replaced the alternator, crank shaft position sensor (car was stalling a lot), and A/C expansion valve. I live in FL so A/C is a must. A/C repair was the most expensive at $375. Overall it gets 5 stars. I am hoping to get to 400,000 miles before giving it up.

2004 Altima 2.5L SL
By Bugeye

2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

After 150,000 miles, this car still runs and rides like new. The 2.5 L, 4 sp automatic has plenty of pep and delivers an average of 27 mpg for this daily commuter. The ride is smooth and handling is above average. There is plenty of head and leg room front and back, the seats are comfortable, and the Bose sound system is fantastic. Maintenance has been minimal, replacing the front right wheel bearing at 90,000 (extended warranty work) and the crankshaft position sensor at 102,000 ($120 parts and labor). I replaced the upper motor mount and idler pulley at 135K in 1 hour for less than $100. The road noise is the only thing that I can say bad about this car. This car has given us great service.

Bose sound system, leather seats

Better under carriage soundproofing.

Not Too Shabby
By PJ

2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Bought the car slightly used, and I've only had two minor problems with it, both outside of warranty. First, the radio, which Nissan replaced, rather gave me a gift certificate to Circuit City, which turned out to be a better deal. Second was the CPI, which Nissan fixed at a highly discounted rate. The car has been a true workhorse for me. Multiple trips almost the length of the East Coast and one cross country trip. I've put a little aver 80,000 miles on the car in less than 4 years. Other than the radio and CPI, I have yet to do more than just regular upkeep on the car, and I am very hard on cars. I'd definitely recommend the Altima to a friend, and would definitely buy another.

Comfort, ergonomics, responsive, fun to drive, over all look of the car.