2004 Nissan Altima - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Altima model:
Good car, but beware of a few issues
By Jersey on 07/14/09 09:16 AM (PDT)

2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I am the original owner of a 2004 Altima I purchased in 2003. It's a fun to drive car and has adequate head/legroom for tall drivers (as long as there is no sunroof). Acceleration and handling are very good and I generally get 23 mpg from daily driving. My biggest issues have been the following: Nissan dealerships are not good at diagnosing/fixing problems (I've used several dealerships with similar results), car won't start after you turn car on/off quickly in cold weather (This is a known "cold start" issue that, based on my experience, Nissan generally does not acknowledge/fix), parts can be expensive. While I enjoy driving the car, my experiences with Nissan are often disappointing.

Death Trap
By Altima_Death_Trap on 05/22/09 20:33 PM (PDT)

2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Don't buy this or any other Nissan. Nissan is not standing behind it's product and charging for repairs on a recall. My car stalls and Nissan knows why but refuses to fix their faulty product. Cam and crank sensor need to be replaced or your car will stall. Nissan refuses to fix this at their cost stating that it reprogramming the ECM fixes this. Well it does not and they know it. I am never buying a Nissan again and I suggest that you don't either....unless... you have a death wish. FYI it stall on turns. No ABS, power brakes, power steering and all that good stuff that you need to control your car.

Lemon!!
By Fred on 12/01/08 14:35 PM (PST)

2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

For the first year or so, this car was the best thing I had ever driven. It looks great inside & out, it's very powerful for a 4-cylinder, and it's pretty good on gas. Then the problems started happening... having to replace a steering joint, numerous brake work, engine cover coming undone, sensors out of whack, you name it. I am extremely meticulous when it comes to servicing my car, which is why I don't understand why all these problems kept coming up. And the car just turned 5 years old, with just about 100,000 kms only. This car has become a nuisance - I will never buy another Nissan, and I'm now hoping I can sell it or that it gets stolen. Seriously.

GREAT CAR
By Tim on 11/06/08 10:01 AM (PST)

2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my 2004 Nissan 2.5Sl new, and have loved driving this car. Only issues I've EVER had are typical brakes, tires, battery, etc. I now have 105,000, and it still runs like new.

Great Car, Buy a Camry !
By MikeB on 09/20/08 21:56 PM (PDT)

2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

My wife and I have an 04 and an 05, both 2.5S models. The 05 has held up pretty good so far, only having to replace an O2 sensor but the 04 is rubbish. Brakes are bad and need replaced often, had an O2 replaced, radiator/AC fans, rotors, rattles and noises. There is a rattle coming from the engine compartment. Check engine just came back on, again. Code P0420, catalytic converter. Warranty goes out after 80K on cat convts and after that you're on your own. $950 to fix +engine may be compromised. I really like the car when it's parked. I'm scared to drive it. Lucky me I own an 03 Corolla which never lets me down. Absolutely no problems. If you like having car problems a lot get an Altima !

2004 Altima 2.5L SL
By Bugeye on 07/08/08 11:18 AM (PDT)

2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

After 104,000 miles, this car still runs and rides like new. The 2.5L, 4sp automatic has plenty of pep and delivers an average of 27 mpg for this daily commuter. The ride is smooth and handling is above average. There is plenty of head and leg room front and back, the seats are comfortable, and the Bose sound system is fantastic. Maintenance has been minimal, replacing the front right wheel bearing at 90,000 (extended warranty work)and the crankshaft position sensor at 102,000 ($120 parts and labor). The road noise is the only thing that I can say bad about this car. For the money, you can't find a better equipped vehicle.

Great Style and Bose sound system
By Rusty on 06/26/08 11:16 AM (PDT)

2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I bought the Altima new and have all the features of leather, sun roof, Bose sound (which is the best) ABS, side air bags, etc. I use it mostly for commuting and now have 105,000 miles on it. The mileage is great (28-30 mpg) for work and 32 mpg on longer trips. I've only had one problem about 6 months ago it wouldn't start once in a while and would quit while slowing down for a light. Nissan sent out recall at the same time which fixed the problem. My only complaint would be the poor quality material of the seat which started cracking about a year after the warranty expired. Also the automatic shifting is like working a rubic cube.

Wish I bought a Honda
By Shea on 05/31/08 18:44 PM (PDT)

2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

This is the first car I have ever bought by myself and needless to say I am not impressed. I did buy it used, but the dealership insisted it was in great condition. There is a rattle in the door that after 3 trys from the dealership isn't fixed. Within 2 weeks of owning it my battery exploded. I have spent 1200 on the front and they then told me my engine mount was broke, the belts are all cracking, the radiator house is leaking etc. The finishing on the woodgrain has peeled. When my brake pads got low there was no warning went straight to grinding which resulted in more damage. Now I'm without a car again because the fuel pump. I'm a college student without money & now a unreliable vehicle.

Too many repairs
By pdupuy on 05/02/08 06:51 AM (PDT)

2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I have had to bring this car back to the dealership numerous times. I've always had to bring it back more than once for the same repair. Now I keep having sensors go out, it's out of warranty and I'm spending a small fortune in repairs. Want to trade it in, not sure at this point if i ever want another Nissan. I love the design but the reliability is extremely disappointing. No way I should be having this much trouble, this car should last 200,000 miles easily.

Disappointment compared to 1994 Altima
By nissandriver9408 on 02/26/08 14:07 PM (PST)

2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased this car in new 2004, after driving a 1994 Altima into the ground and loving every mile. This car has cost me quite a bit in maintenance (religious about that) and repairs, and I have a clutch waiting to go (drove 250K miles on last clutch so don't blame the driver). The interior is chintzy, the cup holder broke just out of warranty and will cost a mint to fix, the glove compartment barely opens, the list goes on with inconveniences. I will keep this car until it dies because it is relatively fun to drive & somewhat reliable. Yet, compared to the 1994 Altima it is a disappointment... the pretty boy of Altimas. Nissan cheaped on value to deliver a good looking car.