2004 Nissan Altima Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Altima model:
185K and going strong
By deanriley on 10/14/12 11:44 AM (PDT)

2004 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 SL 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

After 185,000 miles, this car still runs and rides like new. The 2.5 L, 4 sp automatic has plenty of pep and delivers an average of 27 mpg for this daily commuter. The ride is smooth and handling is above average. There is plenty of head and leg room front and back, the seats are comfortable, and the Bose sound system is fantastic. Maintenance has been minimal, replacing the front right wheel bearing at 90K, crankshaft position sensor at 102K, upper motor mount and idler pulley at 135K and rear wheel bearings at 175K. The road noise is the only thing that I can say bad about this car. This car has given us great service.

2004 Altima 2.5L SL
By Bugeye on 08/02/10 18:13 PM (PDT)

2004 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 SL 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

After 150,000 miles, this car still runs and rides like new. The 2.5 L, 4 sp automatic has plenty of pep and delivers an average of 27 mpg for this daily commuter. The ride is smooth and handling is above average. There is plenty of head and leg room front and back, the seats are comfortable, and the Bose sound system is fantastic. Maintenance has been minimal, replacing the front right wheel bearing at 90,000 (extended warranty work) and the crankshaft position sensor at 102,000 ($120 parts and labor). I replaced the upper motor mount and idler pulley at 135K in 1 hour for less than $100. The road noise is the only thing that I can say bad about this car. This car has given us great service.

Lemon!!
By Fred on 12/01/08 14:35 PM (PST)

2004 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 SL 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

For the first year or so, this car was the best thing I had ever driven. It looks great inside & out, it's very powerful for a 4-cylinder, and it's pretty good on gas. Then the problems started happening... having to replace a steering joint, numerous brake work, engine cover coming undone, sensors out of whack, you name it. I am extremely meticulous when it comes to servicing my car, which is why I don't understand why all these problems kept coming up. And the car just turned 5 years old, with just about 100,000 kms only. This car has become a nuisance - I will never buy another Nissan, and I'm now hoping I can sell it or that it gets stolen. Seriously.

GREAT CAR
By Tim on 11/06/08 10:01 AM (PST)

2004 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 SL 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my 2004 Nissan 2.5Sl new, and have loved driving this car. Only issues I've EVER had are typical brakes, tires, battery, etc. I now have 105,000, and it still runs like new.

2004 Altima 2.5L SL
By Bugeye on 07/08/08 11:18 AM (PDT)

2004 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 SL 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

After 104,000 miles, this car still runs and rides like new. The 2.5L, 4sp automatic has plenty of pep and delivers an average of 27 mpg for this daily commuter. The ride is smooth and handling is above average. There is plenty of head and leg room front and back, the seats are comfortable, and the Bose sound system is fantastic. Maintenance has been minimal, replacing the front right wheel bearing at 90,000 (extended warranty work)and the crankshaft position sensor at 102,000 ($120 parts and labor). The road noise is the only thing that I can say bad about this car. For the money, you can't find a better equipped vehicle.

Great Style and Bose sound system
By Rusty on 06/26/08 11:16 AM (PDT)

2004 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 SL 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I bought the Altima new and have all the features of leather, sun roof, Bose sound (which is the best) ABS, side air bags, etc. I use it mostly for commuting and now have 105,000 miles on it. The mileage is great (28-30 mpg) for work and 32 mpg on longer trips. I've only had one problem about 6 months ago it wouldn't start once in a while and would quit while slowing down for a light. Nissan sent out recall at the same time which fixed the problem. My only complaint would be the poor quality material of the seat which started cracking about a year after the warranty expired. Also the automatic shifting is like working a rubic cube.

Wish I bought a Honda
By Shea on 05/31/08 18:44 PM (PDT)

2004 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 SL 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

This is the first car I have ever bought by myself and needless to say I am not impressed. I did buy it used, but the dealership insisted it was in great condition. There is a rattle in the door that after 3 trys from the dealership isn't fixed. Within 2 weeks of owning it my battery exploded. I have spent 1200 on the front and they then told me my engine mount was broke, the belts are all cracking, the radiator house is leaking etc. The finishing on the woodgrain has peeled. When my brake pads got low there was no warning went straight to grinding which resulted in more damage. Now I'm without a car again because the fuel pump. I'm a college student without money & now a unreliable vehicle.

Best Of All of Them
By john on 05/03/07 10:47 AM (PDT)

2004 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 SL 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I'm in my 60s and for all the cars I have bought and driven over the years from Chevys, Fords and other imports, this car is the best of the breed. It's comfortable, it's fun to drive and very very reliable. If I had enough money I would buy one for every day of the week.

fuel mileage poor 4 cyl like v6
By d gussie on 02/06/07 17:05 PM (PST)

2004 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 SL 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

just got car, has 25000 miles. drove 1000 got 22.5 mpg city &29 hwy. my 95 avalon v6 gets better at 24/31mpg. like style, sound, hot seats and all the toys. watch the gear shift, its tricky to work. also, don't lose your keys, they are dealer only item @ 128.00 ouch. two recalls cost 775.00 paid by nissan. so far so good. got agreat price 12.5m good value hope i don't have too much mechanical problems

Love/Hate this car
By Suzy04 on 07/18/06 14:57 PM (PDT)

2004 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 SL 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

For the most part, I love this car. I have owned it for about 18 months. I use my '94 Camry for the daily drive to work. This car is used on weekends and traveling. In town, the road noise is okay. On the interstate, sometimes it is terrible. My sister and I were shouting at one another on one stretch of Interstate. It is a beautiful car. I get lots of compliments on it. It is a comfortable ride--much more so than the Camry. It is also fun to drive but sometimes seems "big" to turn and park. Only maintenance so far. The one problem I have had is when I have a passenger. Two different people have knocked the shift out of drive--both times it was pretty scarey.