Used 2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Nissan Altima Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Altima model:

185K and going strong
By deanriley

2004 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 SL 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

After 185,000 miles, this car still runs and rides like new. The 2.5 L, 4 sp automatic has plenty of pep and delivers an average of 27 mpg for this daily commuter. The ride is smooth and handling is above average. There is plenty of head and leg room front and back, the seats are comfortable, and the Bose sound system is fantastic. Maintenance has been minimal, replacing the front right wheel bearing at 90K, crankshaft position sensor at 102K, upper motor mount and idler pulley at 135K and rear wheel bearings at 175K. The road noise is the only thing that I can say bad about this car. This car has given us great service.

2004 Altima 2.5L SL
By Bugeye

2004 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 SL 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

After 150,000 miles, this car still runs and rides like new. The 2.5 L, 4 sp automatic has plenty of pep and delivers an average of 27 mpg for this daily commuter. The ride is smooth and handling is above average. There is plenty of head and leg room front and back, the seats are comfortable, and the Bose sound system is fantastic. Maintenance has been minimal, replacing the front right wheel bearing at 90,000 (extended warranty work) and the crankshaft position sensor at 102,000 ($120 parts and labor). I replaced the upper motor mount and idler pulley at 135K in 1 hour for less than $100. The road noise is the only thing that I can say bad about this car. This car has given us great service.

Bose sound system, leather seats

Better under carriage soundproofing.

Lemon!!
By Fred

2004 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 SL 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

For the first year or so, this car was the best thing I had ever driven. It looks great inside & out, it's very powerful for a 4-cylinder, and it's pretty good on gas. Then the problems started happening... having to replace a steering joint, numerous brake work, engine cover coming undone, sensors out of whack, you name it. I am extremely meticulous when it comes to servicing my car, which is why I don't understand why all these problems kept coming up. And the car just turned 5 years old, with just about 100,000 kms only. This car has become a nuisance - I will never buy another Nissan, and I'm now hoping I can sell it or that it gets stolen. Seriously.

Sound system & heated seats.

Build a better car rather than focusing on looks & style.

GREAT CAR
By Tim

2004 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 SL 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my 2004 Nissan 2.5Sl new, and have loved driving this car. Only issues I've EVER had are typical brakes, tires, battery, etc. I now have 105,000, and it still runs like new.

Appearance, interior comfort and fun to drive

Gear shift is a little difficult on the automatic sometimes.

Great Style and Bose sound system
By Rusty

2004 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 SL 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I bought the Altima new and have all the features of leather, sun roof, Bose sound (which is the best) ABS, side air bags, etc. I use it mostly for commuting and now have 105,000 miles on it. The mileage is great (28-30 mpg) for work and 32 mpg on longer trips. I've only had one problem about 6 months ago it wouldn't start once in a while and would quit while slowing down for a light. Nissan sent out recall at the same time which fixed the problem. My only complaint would be the poor quality material of the seat which started cracking about a year after the warranty expired. Also the automatic shifting is like working a rubic cube.

Styling, gas mileage, and Bose sound system

Improve quality of interior leather seat material and make it easier to shift the car into and out of drive and park.