Used 2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S Consumer Reviews - 28 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Nissan Altima - Consumer Reviews

2004 Nissan Altima

View reviews for a specific Altima model:

Ok First Car
By Kimberly

2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This was my first car and I fell In love with it right away. I bought it from a buy here pay here 100k on the dot an had it for two yrs. The first yr of owning it It was a great car no problems. I loved the speed of the car an the way it drives real smooth. When I first bought it the sunroof quit working properly but it was an after market an was put in from a previous owner I never bothered with it after I just didn't touch it. But my second year of owning the car I started having problems first thing was my head lights went out an only way to change them is getting either a detailer or Nissan to get inside an change it which would of cost some money but luckily my father in law changed it an all I had to pay for was the bulb itself. Next the alternator went out and I decided to put a used one in by my grandfather. I had to replace the battery TWICE and my gpa couldn't figure out why it constantly needed a new battery. Then two sensors went out and cost me a little.. Then shortly after that my radiator had busted while I was driving and after 100$ of replacing that we figured out the head gasket blew. I was officially over the car an sold it 2015. Overall maintenance wise I won't even lie with this being my first car I didn't keep up with oil changes to good not sure if that had anything to play with anything that came from but this car is a much older car look for something at least 06 or 07 an up with less than 100000 miles. I won't talk bad about Nissan and I still love Altimas but maintaince is a big key to a great car the way you treat your car is how great it will be I believe. But I have read similarities on here so wouldn't recommend the year of this car

No happy with it car
By Cesar

2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I had this car for 2 years and I have so much problems with it. I wish i had never bought this car

Perfect Car
By Nancy

2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car in highschool when I was 17. I bought it brand new. It has been 5 years & I still have it & still runs like new! The only problems that I did had was twice that the car turned off by itself but that was the time I had received a letter of recalls.... I sent it back twice to get it fixed for the recalls & haven't had any trouble since! Of course I have followed most of the maintenance that states on the manual & until now I have had no trouble at all with my car! My car now has over 100,000 miles & its still running! I am hoping it lasts me another 100,000 miles! It is a reliable, spacious & good looking car! I would not have kept it for so long if it wasn't!

great on gas!

none

Good car, but beware of a few issues
By Jersey

2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I am the original owner of a 2004 Altima I purchased in 2003. It's a fun to drive car and has adequate head/legroom for tall drivers (as long as there is no sunroof). Acceleration and handling are very good and I generally get 23 mpg from daily driving. My biggest issues have been the following: Nissan dealerships are not good at diagnosing/fixing problems (I've used several dealerships with similar results), car won't start after you turn car on/off quickly in cold weather (This is a known "cold start" issue that, based on my experience, Nissan generally does not acknowledge/fix), parts can be expensive. While I enjoy driving the car, my experiences with Nissan are often disappointing.

Handling, acceleration (for a 4- cylinder engine), gas mileage, headroom/legroom, styling, interior/trunk space, telescopic steering wheel.

Better quality cloth seats with improved lumbar support, reduce interior road/engine noise, vastly improve quality of dealership service, better quality interior plastics, correct "cold start" problem.

Great Car, Buy a Camry !
By MikeB

2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

My wife and I have an 04 and an 05, both 2.5S models. The 05 has held up pretty good so far, only having to replace an O2 sensor but the 04 is rubbish. Brakes are bad and need replaced often, had an O2 replaced, radiator/AC fans, rotors, rattles and noises. There is a rattle coming from the engine compartment. Check engine just came back on, again. Code P0420, catalytic converter. Warranty goes out after 80K on cat convts and after that you're on your own. $950 to fix +engine may be compromised. I really like the car when it's parked. I'm scared to drive it. Lucky me I own an 03 Corolla which never lets me down. Absolutely no problems. If you like having car problems a lot get an Altima !

Roomy interior and trunk, OK sound system.

Everything except for the 2 things listed above.