2004 Nissan Altima - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Altima model:
Perfect Car
By Nancy on 08/24/09 11:59 AM (PDT)

2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car in highschool when I was 17. I bought it brand new. It has been 5 years & I still have it & still runs like new! The only problems that I did had was twice that the car turned off by itself but that was the time I had received a letter of recalls.... I sent it back twice to get it fixed for the recalls & haven't had any trouble since! Of course I have followed most of the maintenance that states on the manual & until now I have had no trouble at all with my car! My car now has over 100,000 miles & its still running! I am hoping it lasts me another 100,000 miles! It is a reliable, spacious & good looking car! I would not have kept it for so long if it wasn't!

Good car, but beware of a few issues
By Jersey on 07/14/09 09:16 AM (PDT)

2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I am the original owner of a 2004 Altima I purchased in 2003. It's a fun to drive car and has adequate head/legroom for tall drivers (as long as there is no sunroof). Acceleration and handling are very good and I generally get 23 mpg from daily driving. My biggest issues have been the following: Nissan dealerships are not good at diagnosing/fixing problems (I've used several dealerships with similar results), car won't start after you turn car on/off quickly in cold weather (This is a known "cold start" issue that, based on my experience, Nissan generally does not acknowledge/fix), parts can be expensive. While I enjoy driving the car, my experiences with Nissan are often disappointing.

Great Car, Buy a Camry !
By MikeB on 09/20/08 21:56 PM (PDT)

2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

My wife and I have an 04 and an 05, both 2.5S models. The 05 has held up pretty good so far, only having to replace an O2 sensor but the 04 is rubbish. Brakes are bad and need replaced often, had an O2 replaced, radiator/AC fans, rotors, rattles and noises. There is a rattle coming from the engine compartment. Check engine just came back on, again. Code P0420, catalytic converter. Warranty goes out after 80K on cat convts and after that you're on your own. $950 to fix +engine may be compromised. I really like the car when it's parked. I'm scared to drive it. Lucky me I own an 03 Corolla which never lets me down. Absolutely no problems. If you like having car problems a lot get an Altima !

Too many repairs
By pdupuy on 05/02/08 06:51 AM (PDT)

2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I have had to bring this car back to the dealership numerous times. I've always had to bring it back more than once for the same repair. Now I keep having sensors go out, it's out of warranty and I'm spending a small fortune in repairs. Want to trade it in, not sure at this point if i ever want another Nissan. I love the design but the reliability is extremely disappointing. No way I should be having this much trouble, this car should last 200,000 miles easily.

A thing for Altimas
By RJones on 11/10/07 12:39 PM (PST)

2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This was my 2nd Altima. I had a '95 that I bought used in '96, kept it until '05 (160k miles) when I bought my 2nd one (also used). These cars definitely seem to have problems w/the O2 sensors (both of mine did), but overall are reliable. Unfortunately, I just totalled my 2nd one (at 73k miles) so I am off this weekend to by another :(

Great car - only a few problems
By Jamie on 06/24/06 10:15 AM (PDT)

2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Overall, I really like the car. I've had to put it in the shop for failure to start, CAM sensor, and O2 sensor problems. I did NOT enjoy that part of owning the car. I've spent about $550 in repairs in 2 years. I just past $70,000 miles. I guess that's not so bad...

Be warned
By snicky on 04/05/06 14:17 PM (PDT)

2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I have had so many problems with this car. It doesn't start some mornings, they tell me this is normal. I also am not getting good gas mileage whatsoever. I cannot believe that people are having good luck with this car, I have had nothing but problems.

Satisfied with Altima
By Cedric on 01/08/06 07:46 AM (PST)

2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

The Nissan Altima has been the best car I've ever purchased. I have the 2.5 engine, but it drives like a V6. When I first test drove the Altima, it took a while for me to get used to the acceleration. This car is powerful and very fun to drive. The fuel efficicency is good, especially in todays high gas prices.

Capable Cruiser
By Roger on 12/05/05 09:13 AM (PST)

2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I have only had to put the car into the shop once. Outside of routine oil changes the thing runs like a dream. I do notice a little wind noise around the windows, but have had this on every car I've owned. It has excellent interior space and is a pleasure to drive.

Smooth Ride
By AMartinez on 03/26/05 13:07 PM (PST)

2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Fun to drive car and very smooth on the highway. Tons of room inside especially in the rear seat and a huge trunk. Has enough power to have fun with. Girls love it when I let them drive my car.