2004 Nissan Altima - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Altima model:
185K and going strong
By deanriley on 10/14/12 11:44 AM (PDT)

2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

After 185,000 miles, this car still runs and rides like new. The 2.5 L, 4 sp automatic has plenty of pep and delivers an average of 27 mpg for this daily commuter. The ride is smooth and handling is above average. There is plenty of head and leg room front and back, the seats are comfortable, and the Bose sound system is fantastic. Maintenance has been minimal, replacing the front right wheel bearing at 90K, crankshaft position sensor at 102K, upper motor mount and idler pulley at 135K and rear wheel bearings at 175K. The road noise is the only thing that I can say bad about this car. This car has given us great service.

DO NOT BUY!!
By johna_tigner94 on 03/20/11 18:31 PM (PDT)

2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I have nothing but trouble since buying this car. I am only getting about 18 miles to the gallon. I drive only back and forth to school (15 min from home) and I go through $80.00 a week in gas. Nobody can figure out what is wrong with it. My alignment goes out a week after getting it fixed, it makes weird noises going over bumps. When I shut off my car after drving it smells like sulfur. The steering wheel shakes on a regular basis. This is a car that is just going to nickle and dime you to death. DO NOT BUY! It is a waste of moneyyy!!

Worthless!
By Stranded on 10/25/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Nobody can fix this car. Was told it was crank/cam sensors. No! Timing. No! New computer. No! The thing won't start. The dealer has no idea and neither do two reputable mechanics. I'm a real estate agent with no (running) car in a market that makes it tough to buy a new car!

2004 Altima with 225,000 miles
By Bob S on 09/29/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Can't beat this car. I bought it in 2005 and it had 19,000 miles. Now it has 225,000 miles and still going strong. I have replaced the alternator, crank shaft position sensor (car was stalling a lot), and A/C expansion valve. I live in FL so A/C is a must. A/C repair was the most expensive at $375. Overall it gets 5 stars. I am hoping to get to 400,000 miles before giving it up.

2004 Altima 2.5L SL
By Bugeye on 08/02/10 18:13 PM (PDT)

2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

After 150,000 miles, this car still runs and rides like new. The 2.5 L, 4 sp automatic has plenty of pep and delivers an average of 27 mpg for this daily commuter. The ride is smooth and handling is above average. There is plenty of head and leg room front and back, the seats are comfortable, and the Bose sound system is fantastic. Maintenance has been minimal, replacing the front right wheel bearing at 90,000 (extended warranty work) and the crankshaft position sensor at 102,000 ($120 parts and labor). I replaced the upper motor mount and idler pulley at 135K in 1 hour for less than $100. The road noise is the only thing that I can say bad about this car. This car has given us great service.

Not Too Shabby
By PJ on 06/28/10 21:42 PM (PDT)

2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Bought the car slightly used, and I've only had two minor problems with it, both outside of warranty. First, the radio, which Nissan replaced, rather gave me a gift certificate to Circuit City, which turned out to be a better deal. Second was the CPI, which Nissan fixed at a highly discounted rate. The car has been a true workhorse for me. Multiple trips almost the length of the East Coast and one cross country trip. I've put a little aver 80,000 miles on the car in less than 4 years. Other than the radio and CPI, I have yet to do more than just regular upkeep on the car, and I am very hard on cars. I'd definitely recommend the Altima to a friend, and would definitely buy another.

Nice
By james on 06/20/10 18:20 PM (PDT)

2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Just got this car, it looks nice on the outside, just a little generic. drives smooth, overall a decent car. bought mine used with less than 100k miles on it for about $8000 plus tax. i wanted a Honda but i couldn't find out and was in a hurry to get a car. overall I'm happy with the car. i got the S model, automatic, sedan.

Durable so far
By Louis Desjardins on 05/16/10 12:20 PM (PDT)

2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Bought used with 36,000 miles on it. Well built, feels solid, durable. I drive 30,000 miles per year, mostly highway miles. Brakes were the only ''outstanding glitch"" as the rotors do not seem well built.

What's going on?
By Pat Clarkin on 12/06/09 10:49 AM (PST)

2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

2004 2.5 automatic bought 2/2004; 106,000 99% hgwy miles; excellent maintenance; 1 driver only. Within six months of purchase, 1 piston not firing fixed under warranty--told I was LUCKY!); replaced serpentine belt (3 yrs); hesitating 4 1/2 yrs ($1500. to fix); now, oil leaking into engine, told I need a NEW ENGINE! My 3rd Altima, other two (standard, 95 & 98, no problems at all. THIS CAR A MAJOR DISAPPOINTMENT.

Perfect Car
By Nancy on 08/24/09 11:59 AM (PDT)

2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car in highschool when I was 17. I bought it brand new. It has been 5 years & I still have it & still runs like new! The only problems that I did had was twice that the car turned off by itself but that was the time I had received a letter of recalls.... I sent it back twice to get it fixed for the recalls & haven't had any trouble since! Of course I have followed most of the maintenance that states on the manual & until now I have had no trouble at all with my car! My car now has over 100,000 miles & its still running! I am hoping it lasts me another 100,000 miles! It is a reliable, spacious & good looking car! I would not have kept it for so long if it wasn't!