This car sucks!
By biggdaddy23 on
2003 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)
Bought the car in 2006 with only 31,000 miles. Kept getting a cylinder 2 misfire and tried everything to fix it, change coil pack, spark plugs etc. Car starts shaking and had a weird smell like someone posted earlier. Had to replace motor mounts, brakes and power steering pump. Every six months it seemed like the car had a problem that needed fixing. The catalytic converter needed replacing and the ac compressor also was going out on the car so I decided to trade it in for a hyundai elantra this week. i realized that i spent almost $4,000 dollars into repairing this car. I will never buy a Nissan ever again!
Favorite Features
Size
Suggested Improvements
Everything else
By call_me_al_42
on 11/02/11 13:05 PM (PDT)

Almost sounds like I wrote this post. About four months ago, my Service Engine Soon light came on and I took it to a local garage, which replaced the spark plugs and coil pack because the error code was reading a misfire. A few weeks later, my SES light came on again and I took it to a Nissan dealership. They told me it was a crankshaft sensor and they replaced it. Less than four weeks later, my car would not start. I had it towed to a local garage -- the Nissan dealer is about 40-45 miles from my house and I could not wait the standard 3-5 days to get an appointment. The local garage replaced the crankshaft sensor again. (Nissan dealership would not reimburse me a penny because I didn't have the car towed to them. Even after I explained that I could not wait 3-5 days to get scheduled, they said they would do nothing since I did not have it looked at there.) Anyways, it's two weeks after the latest sensor replacement and my SES light is on again. In the last 4-6 months, I've put over $1,200 into this car and it seems like I'm continually having the problems. My AC condensor is also shot. It stopped working in late May, of all times. I'm going to have the catalytic converter looked at this time around and will look to unload this vehicle ASAP. Nothing but problems since I hit 144,000 miles on it. I realize there will be problems, but not repeatedly the same thing and when I read continually on several sites that these problems are VERY COMMON to this year, I can only conclude that there is an issue that Nissan should address and has decided not to. (I falied to mention that two years ago, while traveling through a construction zone on Interstate-80, my Altima just died at 65 miles per hour. A few seconds later, it started back up on its own!) I bought the car with 35K on it and would have rated it as a very good car to own, until the last 4-6 months.