2003 Nissan Altima - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Altima model:
The best car I have ever owned
By Louis Villarrubia on 10/08/07 14:15 PM (PDT)

2003 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

The power of the 4 cyl engine is like other 6 cyl. The gas mileage, 29 mpg highway and 23 mpg city with the a/c on, is unbelievable. It's comfortable. The sound system sounds great and the only time it's been in the shop was to have a fan belt replaced.

Wonderful First Car
By Anon on 08/07/07 12:37 PM (PDT)

2003 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This car is wonderful, it has lots of power, great pick up, nice exterior design, many standard features and more. If I had the choice between the Altima, Camry, or Accord I would buy the Altima with no hesitation. The interior could definitely use a change, especially some of the material that is used. But at this price, who could complain? Brakes wear out quicker then some other cars, but that is just wear and tear. Engine is great, first thing in the morning it does sound louder then usual, other than that I have not had any problems with this car!

Brake Problems
By debys007 on 06/13/07 10:21 AM (PDT)

2003 Nissan Altima 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5M)

My husband and I bought our Altima 2003. We don't drive a lot comparatively speaking these days. I love the car but there is a real problem with the rotors warping. We have had to have the rotors resurfaced and new brake pads twice now. The first time was at 27,000 and again 10 months later and it's only been driven another 8076 miles. So less than 36,000 total on this vehicle we have had to resurface rotors and install new brake pads twice. Both of us are in our young 50s and have had many cars in our lives. We've never had a problem with brakes, so I say this is a car flaw!! Oh by the way, neither of us ride the brakes either.

Roomy, comfortable gas guzzler
By john caldwell on 05/31/07 05:51 AM (PDT)

2003 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I wish I had road tested first. The turn radius on this car is rough. Parking it between cars is difficult, due to the long rear overhang. It is a real looker. Mileage around town is low, about 22, but on highways it's great - goes into the mid-30s mpg. Sorry that i didn't wait to buy, price has come down quite a bit for 2007, assuming equal performance.

Pat's Altima
By patricia a leblanc on 05/15/07 17:00 PM (PDT)

2003 Nissan Altima 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5M)

This vehicle is totally reliable in the almost three years I've owned it. The biggest trouble I've ever had with it was the locking steering column which I just jiggle to get it to unlock. It happens maybe once a month. It steers joyfully. The visibility is really a nine with the last one being that there is still a blind spot on the driver's side. I hate that. It's not the smoothest ride I've ever had but it comes really close to it. The snow handling is good with a view on when it slides for me. The color is very pleasant, it's like a sea green. I've been going to the dealer for service and it has taken me to long distances happily! I also have a car roof rack!

Nice car overall
By VBM on 04/23/07 13:36 PM (PDT)

2003 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

The car is reliable and fun to drive. The only problem in 4 years was right shock/strut - had to change. Fuel economy depends on style of driving and varied between 24.5 and 27 mpg for mixed cycle with less than 20% highway mileage. Steering is very responsive and accurate, acceleration is good, although not as fast as for 3.5L engine (give and take on fuel economy though). Overall experience was very good.

Good design...No support from Nissan
By Morteus on 03/12/07 08:13 AM (PDT)

2003 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Love the engineering. Fun to drive. Way too many recalls (6) I brought the car in to the dealer for a fuel system recall and they left the engine cooling fans unplugged. Drove around for a couple of weeks until the engine overheated. Left me stranded and couldn't get an answer from Nissan Roadside assistance. I had to pay for a tow. Called Nissan customer care and they refused to get involved. Told me to go back to the original dealer to have the car looked at. I told them that they are asking the negligent dealership to determine if they caused any damage. Dealer said no damage was caused....6 months later the radiator cracked. Called Nissan customer care again. They couldn't have cared less.

Road Warrior
By Robert Carrell on 02/10/07 12:04 PM (PST)

2003 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This has been an excellent car for the $; I travel a lot for work; consistently drive 90 or more on Hwy; at that speed only get @ 21 or 22 mpg; at 70 get 26, at 60-65 @ 31;

Wooooo Hooooo!
By frata on 11/13/06 16:31 PM (PST)

2003 Nissan Altima 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5M)

I bought my '03 3.5SE brand new. I knew I was going to buy it as soon as I turned the key and heard that "vroom!" I have put 83,000 miles on it in 3 years and have not had a single mechanical problem. My check engine light came on one time but just because I left the fuel-cap door open, it was very expensive to have the computer re-set. The plastic latch on the center console broke three times, minor nuisance. At idle it sounds like a Jetta but when you get it over 4,500 RPM the sound is knee weakening. Over-all an extremely reliable car. I would recommend this to anyone. I just saw the re-designed 2007 model and am planning on trading this one in soon.

Good car
By RICH on 10/15/06 21:59 PM (PDT)

2003 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Had no issues with mine except like alot of other people, had to change the front rotors. Other than that and new tires, no problems