Used 2003 Nissan Altima Consumer Reviews - 432 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Nissan Altima - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Altima model:

Don't ever buy one
By No Happy

2003 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I bought the car brand new in June, it had to be towed to the dealership because of the sensor (1) in October 2003, in September of 2004 the car stalled out at the light and an 18 wheeler was approaching fast, I thank Jesus for answered pray, the car started up enough to get it out of the way, I had to get another sensor (2) replaced. 2009 all three sensors (3) went out and there was a recall on two of them (Midas found them) but Nissan never sent the notices out nor did they honor them. I fought to get the cost down to $3,000.00 for them to be fixed and 7 months later the crankshaft sensor (4) went out again, they replaced it because it was under the 12 months or 10,000 miles.

I didn’t want to run out and purchase another MISTAKE that is why I gave up the $3,000.00, but it all worked out by prayer for my better good.

I had the car detailed and took it to Car Max, my tires were 2 years old and I had a full spare in the trunk with 97,000 miles. Car Max gave me over the excellent condition price in the Kelly Blue Book, so I got back my 3,000 and then some. The service department employees were Very rude at Herb

Mechanical mess
By vtagirl

2003 Nissan Altima 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

This car looks very nice, but is a mechanical nightmare. Every sensor on this car starting going bad at 50k and catalytic conv at 80k. Nissan said cat ruined engine and needs a new engine (bad placement of cat). Lots of other people with same problem...would not recommend this car. Also own a Infiniti G35...no problems..think the problem is with set up of the Altima. If your under 80k Nissan will only fit cat, not your engine :(...They know about the problems but don't care.

Body style

Fix mechanical problems

GREAT CAR
By Canadian owner

2003 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

This vehicle has done well even in the extreme temperatures that we have here in Canada. I'm in sales and as a result spend alot of time in my vehicle. My hats off to the company for making such a great car. I'm picking up my new one on Saturday!

The last nissan I'll ever own
By lola3053

2003 Nissan Altima 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

First let me say that I am meticulous about upkeep and basic maintenance (oil changes, etc.) My Altima, with 139,000 km's (100,000 miles) on it absolutely self- destructed over the past two weeks. For no reason that I or any mechanic can find the engine suddenly (over two days) burned out all of it's oil and then scored the cylinders so badly that it needs to be replaced. I never really enjoyed this car. It looked great, but handled like a girls car. It was always sort of "dainty" and overly sensitive to steering inputs. Also, the plastic used in the interior components and the boot around the gear-stick were of extremely low quality.

The engine (when it ran properly) was fairly peppy. The trunk is a good size.

I don't care what you do. I'll never trust another Nissan product.

DONT BE FOOLED WITH THIS LEMON MODEL
By Sara

2003 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I purchased this car 5 years ago, paid top dollar for the one year old car. It had all the options on it I was looking for as well as lots of room. This car has had several recalls, all of which have been repaired. However 2 years ago MAJOR probs started when my heat went out. Nissan had NO idea how to fix it. Then just this month my catalytic converted exploded, I replaced and a week later with more probs told it was TOTAL ENGINE FAILURE. At 130,000 highly maintained miles this should not be expected from a Nissan. But the Nissan reps I have spoken to, have said it was old and not surprising. I expected more out of a $24,000 car. I have driven Hondas much more. Will never buy another Nissan.

The space, the luxury options. It has always driven good until the whole system failed.

Headlamps overhead, burn out and burn the plastic lamp coverings. The plastic catalytic converter gives out early and with the heat it causes an explosion and engine failure. And for Nissan to find out why hundreds of customers deal with the heat going out around 100,000 miles.