2003 Nissan Altima Consumer Reviews 5

2003 Nissan Altima - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Altima model:
Good starter car!
By AltimaMan on 11/12/08 16:00 PM (PST)

2003 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I've owned this car for almost 2 years and have made some minor upgrades to it. Overall it is a good car, wish it had a little more power in the low end. Very stylish looking, great stereo system, and a smooth ride.

Cat Converter Break Down-NEW ENGINE 2.5
By BUYER BEWARE on 11/05/08 10:21 AM (PST)

2003 Nissan Altima 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Loved when car when I 1st bought it. Owned for 18 months and now they will not back their products. My oil has been changed every 2500 miles all necessary maintenance. Now my check engine light went on 2 weeks ago. I take 2 Auto Zone and receive the infamous P0420 Code! I change spark plugs thinking it's minor. Nope I need an entire new engine for 4500.00. Catalytic broke down & as this happened the pieces were sucked into the engine and it ruined the rings inside the engine. SERVICE ENGINE SOON light came on 2 weeks ago! Also causing the oil consumption Problem. "Regional Specialist" NO HELP. I take care of my car.

Beware the Catalytic Converter
By Anniee on 10/02/08 11:06 AM (PDT)

2003 Nissan Altima 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5M)

Originally car was great-looking and drove beautifully. Last year started to drive rough and didn't pass emissions. Had to pay $1200 to replace 4 valve cover gaskets. Was driving on major interstate at 60 MPH in the fast lane and the car suddenly stopped dead. Scariest moment of my life. The dealer is saying pay $1300 for catalytic converter. This apparently a HUGE problem with Nissan Altimas. Get yours checked before the 8 yr. 80,000 mandatory replacement expires, because Nissan won't replace if you are at 80,001. Disappointing at best and no longer have confidence in car.

Great Car!
By Karen on 08/14/08 18:08 PM (PDT)

2003 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my '03 Nissan new in 10/02 and now have over 130K miles on it, and still running strong. The maintenance has been minimal, and my driving style is not always easy on it. The acceleration is perky and my gas mileage is 27-28 on a daily basis. I've been driving it for almost 6 years and feel that it will last me a lot longer. The interior is a little on the cheap side, however it cost me $22-23,000 new, so who's complaining. Oh, and it's been paid for for 3 years, what a ride!!!

Altima's Look "fine"
By Dennis on 06/05/08 19:13 PM (PDT)

2003 Nissan Altima 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this used at 61,000 miles and I love the look of my loaded Altima. It's an SE so it's great on corners and holding the road. The car looks great! However, It has draw backs with ride and mechanicals. I had a clunking under the hood and I tried to find anything that would make the same noise when I went down the road. I found so much plastic that rattled. Thought for sure I'd cure it. But no. It ended up being the strut. Now, 10,000 miles later the left strut is clunking. I also had the brake pedal stick during the winter and the brake lights stayed on and I was stranded with a dead battery. The car is all show. Not a car for a non-mechanical person.

Great Car
By cami on 05/22/08 12:35 PM (PDT)

2003 Nissan Altima 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5M)

I saw my car in the lot and had to have it first of all because of the pearlish white color. It had 17 inch rims, a spoiler, a sunroof and nice ground effects. I drove it down the highway and loved the power it had. It is very zippy! I drive over 100 miles a day and have not had it in the shop yet. I keep the oil changed and that is all it needs.

Great Highway Car
By matthew on 05/06/08 05:36 AM (PDT)

2003 Nissan Altima 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Bought car with 5000 miles, dealer demo. So far, has been great. Bought to use as commuter so I can keep truck for towing. Overall, I love the car. Handles great. Secure driving in the rain and snow. Installed Bridgestone Turanzas, made huge improve in overall handling and foul weather performance. Accelerates decent with 2.5, great gas mileage. With my new job I am now driving 100+ miles a day, and on the highway it is great. Average 27 mpg at 75 mph. Good NDSS sound system, decent features for base car. Seats are awesome. Interior quality not great, nothing really broke on car but I am careful with her. Reliability so far great. Now has 54,000 miles, still love it. Overall, great car!

catalitic converter problems
By Don't buy one on 04/27/08 07:02 AM (PDT)

2003 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Nice car when I first bought it. Larger than toyota. But, at 50,000 miles check engine light, had to spend 800 on a new catalytic converter, then at 90,000 crank position sensor, failed several times before the dealer figured it out. Now check engine light again. Who knows what now. Buy a honda, much more reliable.

Sporty & Responsive
By kegradtech on 04/19/08 09:36 AM (PDT)

2003 Nissan Altima 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5M)

This is the 3rd Nissan Altima I've owned. I've also had a 2001 GXE Limited Edition (the last year of the old body & engine style) and a 1999 SE Limited Edition. I love the throaty engine noise under heavy acceleration, balanced with a very quiet response under normal driving conditions. The body styling is second to none in its class and I feel you have to upgrade to luxury vehicles to get better body styling than the Altima. My only complaints about it are the front brakes which seem to warp too easily (the same happened in my 2001, but no problems with this in my 1999 model.) I have had to upgrade to slotted rotors to keep this from recurring and I don't even heavily brake the vehicle.

Terrible car; terrible company
By Evan on 03/08/08 14:06 PM (PST)

2003 Nissan Altima 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased this car brand new, and had problems from day 1. 6 recalls in the first 3 years; should have been a clue. Once I hit about 60K the maintenance got very expensive, than at 90K a very common problem, the catalytic converter went and caused engine damage, after $1000 in repairs, I cut my losses and sold it before the engine got worse. This seems to be all to common on this car, so be wear! I would not recommend any nissan product to anyone.