2003 Nissan Altima Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Altima model:
The last nissan I'll ever own
By lola3053 on 12/09/09 16:12 PM (PST)

2003 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

First let me say that I am meticulous about upkeep and basic maintenance (oil changes, etc.) My Altima, with 139,000 km's (100,000 miles) on it absolutely self- destructed over the past two weeks. For no reason that I or any mechanic can find the engine suddenly (over two days) burned out all of it's oil and then scored the cylinders so badly that it needs to be replaced. I never really enjoyed this car. It looked great, but handled like a girls car. It was always sort of "dainty" and overly sensitive to steering inputs. Also, the plastic used in the interior components and the boot around the gear-stick were of extremely low quality.

Cat Converter Break Down-NEW ENGINE 2.5
By BUYER BEWARE on 11/05/08 10:21 AM (PST)

2003 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Loved when car when I 1st bought it. Owned for 18 months and now they will not back their products. My oil has been changed every 2500 miles all necessary maintenance. Now my check engine light went on 2 weeks ago. I take 2 Auto Zone and receive the infamous P0420 Code! I change spark plugs thinking it's minor. Nope I need an entire new engine for 4500.00. Catalytic broke down & as this happened the pieces were sucked into the engine and it ruined the rings inside the engine. SERVICE ENGINE SOON light came on 2 weeks ago! Also causing the oil consumption Problem. "Regional Specialist" NO HELP. I take care of my car.

Great Highway Car
By matthew on 05/06/08 05:36 AM (PDT)

2003 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Bought car with 5000 miles, dealer demo. So far, has been great. Bought to use as commuter so I can keep truck for towing. Overall, I love the car. Handles great. Secure driving in the rain and snow. Installed Bridgestone Turanzas, made huge improve in overall handling and foul weather performance. Accelerates decent with 2.5, great gas mileage. With my new job I am now driving 100+ miles a day, and on the highway it is great. Average 27 mpg at 75 mph. Good NDSS sound system, decent features for base car. Seats are awesome. Interior quality not great, nothing really broke on car but I am careful with her. Reliability so far great. Now has 54,000 miles, still love it. Overall, great car!

Terrible car; terrible company
By Evan on 03/08/08 14:06 PM (PST)

2003 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased this car brand new, and had problems from day 1. 6 recalls in the first 3 years; should have been a clue. Once I hit about 60K the maintenance got very expensive, than at 90K a very common problem, the catalytic converter went and caused engine damage, after $1000 in repairs, I cut my losses and sold it before the engine got worse. This seems to be all to common on this car, so be wear! I would not recommend any nissan product to anyone.

2003/1
By flyer1 on 03/07/08 09:50 AM (PST)

2003 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This car has very very serious control problems on icy roads. Dealer no help. Changed tires, etc. but to no avail. This is our last Altima because it borders on dangerous to drive in icy conditions.

I Would Have Gone With the Honda Accord
By YSSMAN on 05/21/06 20:55 PM (PDT)

2003 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This was the second Altima we had in our family, the first being a '96. I'm glad I was not the one who bought the car, because I hated it. Simply put, the interior of the car is one of the worst I have seen in a long time, far worse than any interior you have seen in a GM product. Sure, it was purchased on a great deal, but the combination of mouse-fur seats and Tupperware plastics was a huge letdown. Too bad the car didn't have a manual transmission, as I'm sure it would have been fun to drive with some involvement. Still, I'm glad I didn't spend the money on the car...

20,000 mile check in
By SRyan on 10/15/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

It's been a year, and I still love my Altima. My complaint (and this is a BIG one since I live in upstate NY) is that snow gathers and packs under the wheel wells and makes it dangerous/ a pain in the neck in the winter. Also, the passenger door is heavy/ sticks and the gas mileage is not as good as they claim. But... she is reliable, stylish, fast and smooth to drive. 22,000 miles in one year with no problems. Fits 5 adults comfortably- my coworkers love the cupholders in the back seat! Love the racing shift and the new design- sporty but classy!

Very good Car!
By richard69 on 04/19/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I Know that I very pleased with mine. I love my car. I haven't really had anything go really wrong with it as of yet.

altima
By jay l. on 09/19/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

lousy sound system good styling good ride gas milage not good yet pickup is good

Altimas are great cars!
By Helen on 08/31/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I love the Altima! About 2 weeks new, someone hit me from behind in her old jeep while I was in line for the stop sign. I couldn't believe how much damage it did to the other vehica's front as compared to my back, which had a very minor dent that you could hardly see. I got it fixed and it looks good as new, again! My tall friend couldn't believe the head space. I enjoy the little sound signals if you forget to turn off the headlights or forget to remove the keys. Everywhere I go, people are always staring at my car, asking questions about it, or telling me how much they like my car. I get compliments on its unique red color, too.