2003 Nissan Altima Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Altima model:
Great car
By blue0730 on 08/07/14 16:19 PM (PDT)

2003 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 SL 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I am the original owner and have had no problems with my car going on almost 11 years. She still drives great and is in great condition. I saw others say the v4 has issues but mine is going on 125k miles with none.

Sporty and reliable
By aposak on 01/14/14 02:55 AM (PST)

2003 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 SL 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Daily driver for 10 years now. 190k, original engine and transmission. Still looks good, performs well, and still fun to drive. 4 doors means extra utility and lower insurance. The 4-cyl from this era have major engine problems... go with the V6.

Nice Car, "Service Engine Soon", light came on at 82,000 miles
By mdscarlata on 02/27/13 15:28 PM (PST)

2003 Nissan Altima Sedan 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I just bought this car used, yesterday and I love it. It is very fun to drive. I traded in a Mercedes Benz 240C, which was powerful, but drove like a tank or a boat. The only issue is that the, "Service Engine Soon", light came on before I even got it home from the used car dealership. I brought it back today and they said it was indicating "High Idle Speed". Well at 82,000 miles I hope that this is all that is wrong with it. I will keep you posted.

My 2003 Nissan Altima
By dgzlz on 01/16/13 10:31 AM (PST)

2003 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I just felt the need to give special props to my 2003 Nissan Altima that is not at (372 THOUSAND MILES) yes I had to spell it out so no one would think it was a typo. She needs a new catalytic converter, but other than that she is still the greatest money maker I have every had. I drive 172 miles a day, 5 days a week. I have tried reading online to see if anyone else was running with this many miles, but it saddens me to see some have not been as lucky. A mechanic not long ago told me mine car must have came off the line on a Wednesday. I tried looking that up with no sucess.

loved this car intill.....................
By 0altima3 on 11/21/11 10:57 AM (PST)

2003 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 SL 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

bought this car used in 2005 with 21000 miles on it was evrything i wanted loved my car praised it was black on black with leather 6 years later still turnning heads flawless inside and out took the best care of the car nothing but synthetic oil changes every 3000 miles nothing but premiume 91 76 gas and last week discovered no oil in my engine with only 82000 miles had read up on it about a year ago and called nissan and they said it has to do with how you maintence your car so i thought would not happen to mine but i was wrong no one took better care of a car then i did nissan needs to do something will never buy another nissan and will tell anyone who will listen getting rid of my baby

'03 altima 2.5s a drivers pleasure
By fastlane7 on 08/26/11 02:23 AM (PDT)

2003 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I got my altima with 38k. the previous owner, a relative, never had any problems with it. I now have 58k and it runs like a dream. I did have to replace the crank position sensor at 57k. However, although the 'ses' light was on, it never gave me problems. If your looking for a cushy ride,look elsewhere. The Altima is definitely a drivers car.sturdy frame, firm ride. handling is excellent. Very little body-lean when buzzing around roads. holds road very well The engine is responsive. quick off the line. open road acceleration impressive; especially for a 4cylindar engine. stunning exterior, and a roomy, comfortable, interior. some cheap plastics inside; no big deal. to sum up,love this car

Every Manufacturer Has Their Bad Day
By quasibozo on 06/28/11 08:15 AM (PDT)

2003 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

My 2003 Altima, had a number of issues. Excessive oil use, random start up problems top of the list. The crankshaft position sensor a major player but not the sole solution. Dollar for dollar, amount of money I spent on it I'd probably have spent on an American make that wouldn't have given me the same mileage. That 2003 was the fifth Nissan I purchased new. My philosophy, 200,000 miles or ten years, which ever comes first. I never made ten years before a new one. I took best care of this Altima than all the other Nissans I owned and it gave me the worst repair record. I don't understand why the whole fleet wasn't recalled for repair. Buying my sixth new Nissan since 1973, a "2011 Rogue".

Great Car, I miss it!
By macfie87 on 06/01/11 12:45 PM (PDT)

2003 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car used at 62K miles and loved it, until it was recently totaled at 150K. Everything was great, except for a few problems as its mileage got higher. Had to have a throttle replaced and it was about 800, but that was really the only major problem. It was needing a new alternator and a new shift lock, but I fixed those myself. Everything else was AWESOME! And airbags deployed and engine shut off automatically...great safety features.

Great, fast "Four-door 350Z" car!
By j3r3l on 05/01/11 08:32 AM (PDT)

2003 Nissan Altima Sedan 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

The car is magnificantly overall a good car for someone who wants the 350Z but, also wants better seating compacity.(Maybe I could be over-saying it a little bit, but this is a very fast var for a sedan.) I am at 105,000 miles and the cars is still driving like it was brand new; though I accelerate very fast on average. I love this car. Though, this is only my second car; I have driven many sports cars and this cars does very well for a front wheel drive. This car drives just as good as my father's BMW 745 except for the smoothness. The 745 is a lot smoother. I would recommend this car to anyone who basically wants a "four-door sports car. But this is a great car....Enough said!

2003 2.5 4 cylinder Altima
By bclark_1 on 03/25/11 06:39 AM (PDT)

2003 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

This is the worst vehicle I have ever owned. I feel I got scammed. The engine used oil from the day I bought it, with only 33,000 miles. The massive oil consumption only got worse. I took it to the garage and was told the catylatic converter had fell apart and went into the engine causing it to destroy the engine. I was informed this is a common problem with this vehicle, due to the recall on the sensor that causes this to happen. Obviously this is a factory defect. I contacted Nissan to make them aware of my problem and received no reply. Be aware of this problem.