Used 2003 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Nissan Altima - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Altima model:

Great car
By blue0730

2003 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I am the original owner and have had no problems with my car going on almost 11 years. She still drives great and is in great condition. I saw others say the v4 has issues but mine is going on 125k miles with none.

Sporty and reliable
By aposak

2003 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Daily driver for 10 years now. 190k, original engine and transmission. Still looks good, performs well, and still fun to drive. 4 doors means extra utility and lower insurance. The 4-cyl from this era have major engine problems... go with the V6.

Favorite Features

The V6 gas mileage has never been close to as poor as the sticker indicates... 30/23 has been my avg. Great reliability. Roomy. Spring loaded tilt steering (not friction lock), and friction lock telescoping.

Suggested Improvements

Not much road noise insulation, so buy good tires. Front brake rotors warp under heavy braking. Torque steer is pretty bad. The traction control is effective but feels wonky. Back springs wear out and cause the car to squat. Interior materials are cheap, and the fit and finish isn't great. Headroom is lacking if you're tall and sit upright. No stereo AUX input.

loved this car intill.....................
By 0altima3

2003 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

bought this car used in 2005 with 21000 miles on it was evrything i wanted loved my car praised it was black on black with leather 6 years later still turnning heads flawless inside and out took the best care of the car nothing but synthetic oil changes every 3000 miles nothing but premiume 91 76 gas and last week discovered no oil in my engine with only 82000 miles had read up on it about a year ago and called nissan and they said it has to do with how you maintence your car so i thought would not happen to mine but i was wrong no one took better care of a car then i did nissan needs to do something will never buy another nissan and will tell anyone who will listen getting rid of my baby

Favorite Features

everything inside and out style performance car had everything i wanted planed to keep for at least another 5 years. so sad that nissan will not stand by there product a car this maintained should not needs a new engine and after reading all the reveiws not going to waste my money to try to fix it plan to get a honda

Suggested Improvements

fixed the faulting engine and cat this could be a recall cant beleive nissan will do nothing planed on trading in this altima for a new one in a few years thats how much i loved this car but now never again will i buy a nissan

GREAT CAR
By Canadian owner

2003 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

This vehicle has done well even in the extreme temperatures that we have here in Canada. I'm in sales and as a result spend alot of time in my vehicle. My hats off to the company for making such a great car. I'm picking up my new one on Saturday!

DONT BE FOOLED WITH THIS LEMON MODEL
By Sara

2003 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I purchased this car 5 years ago, paid top dollar for the one year old car. It had all the options on it I was looking for as well as lots of room. This car has had several recalls, all of which have been repaired. However 2 years ago MAJOR probs started when my heat went out. Nissan had NO idea how to fix it. Then just this month my catalytic converted exploded, I replaced and a week later with more probs told it was TOTAL ENGINE FAILURE. At 130,000 highly maintained miles this should not be expected from a Nissan. But the Nissan reps I have spoken to, have said it was old and not surprising. I expected more out of a $24,000 car. I have driven Hondas much more. Will never buy another Nissan.

Favorite Features

The space, the luxury options. It has always driven good until the whole system failed.

Suggested Improvements

Headlamps overhead, burn out and burn the plastic lamp coverings. The plastic catalytic converter gives out early and with the heat it causes an explosion and engine failure. And for Nissan to find out why hundreds of customers deal with the heat going out around 100,000 miles.