Used 2003 Nissan Altima 2.5 S Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Nissan Altima - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Altima model:

Every Manufacturer Has Their Bad Day
By quasibozo

2003 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

My 2003 Altima, had a number of issues. Excessive oil use, random start up problems top of the list. The crankshaft position sensor a major player but not the sole solution. Dollar for dollar, amount of money I spent on it I'd probably have spent on an American make that wouldn't have given me the same mileage. That 2003 was the fifth Nissan I purchased new. My philosophy, 200,000 miles or ten years, which ever comes first. I never made ten years before a new one. I took best care of this Altima than all the other Nissans I owned and it gave me the worst repair record. I don't understand why the whole fleet wasn't recalled for repair. Buying my sixth new Nissan since 1973, a "2011 Rogue".

Sophisticated looking, comfortable to drive, responsive, Excellent sounding stock audio, decent mileage, Excellent visibility! Large trunk. Good safety record. Excellent seating room.

A little late for this, but the whole situation that has brought on a bad reputation: Crankshaft Position Sensor placement, motor mounts, larger radiator, oil consumption, all other recall issues, better road noise dampening.

This car sucks!
By biggdaddy23

2003 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Bought the car in 2006 with only 31,000 miles. Kept getting a cylinder 2 misfire and tried everything to fix it, change coil pack, spark plugs etc. Car starts shaking and had a weird smell like someone posted earlier. Had to replace motor mounts, brakes and power steering pump. Every six months it seemed like the car had a problem that needed fixing. The catalytic converter needed replacing and the ac compressor also was going out on the car so I decided to trade it in for a hyundai elantra this week. i realized that i spent almost $4,000 dollars into repairing this car. I will never buy a Nissan ever again!

Size

Everything else

So far so good
By Snoopy62

2003 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned this car new since August, 2003 and there have been minor problems all except for the radiator tank cracking and having to be replaced. Minor problems like the hood support rod, whe I put it up to check the oil and snapped the rod into the holder under the hood, the hook part snapped off. Luckily the dealer had them in stock. This was int he cold weather so maybe it was the plastic got too rigiid otherwise I would have to hold up the hood by hand. Computer had to be reprogrammed twice after a recall. The original Continental tires stink and I finally got michelins after the second set of continentals. They only lasted 23k each set. 32 mpg on the highway using Cruise control!

Body style, Original Nissan fog lamps added and it makes a big difference.

a little better interior

Excellent All-Around Vehicle
By Trevor

2003 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car used 2 years ago, and it has yet to disappoint me. It now has 107k miles and no problems. Very good acceleration and handling, great turn radius, extremely smooth ride and very spacious seating area. I love the eye catching rear light design, it hypnotizes people that drive behind me. Decent gas mileage, and nice features, overall a very satisfying vehicle. Although the "bose" sound system is a bit disappointing, and the microchip key costs over $100 to make a duplicate.

Acceleration, smooth ride, spacious seating, rear lights.

Include a more powerful sound system, remove the microchip design from the key.

A steal at $7800 though some worries
By DavieJ89

2003 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I'm a 19 yr old who bought this as his first car, and I've had it for exactly a month now and it has been awesome but I have had a few problems with it. The exhaust emits blue smoke when I rev the engine while idling, and though nothing seems wrong the check engine light will not go off. And thats beginning to bother me. But who woulda thought a 4 cylidner engine could be so powerful yet so efficient? I can reach 0-60 in 6 seconds and I get almost 32 mpg on the freeway, the downside is the 20 gallon tank. The stereo system is amazing for something thats so standard, and the a/c is ice cold. And I always turn heads when I drive by.

The stereo (which i was pulled over for having the bass too loud), the gas mileage, the design inside and out. The luxury of the seats and the ice cold a/c

Make some alloy rims that dont crack so easily,