2003 Nissan Altima - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Altima model:
Every Manufacturer Has Their Bad Day
By quasibozo on 06/28/11 08:15 AM (PDT)

2003 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

My 2003 Altima, had a number of issues. Excessive oil use, random start up problems top of the list. The crankshaft position sensor a major player but not the sole solution. Dollar for dollar, amount of money I spent on it I'd probably have spent on an American make that wouldn't have given me the same mileage. That 2003 was the fifth Nissan I purchased new. My philosophy, 200,000 miles or ten years, which ever comes first. I never made ten years before a new one. I took best care of this Altima than all the other Nissans I owned and it gave me the worst repair record. I don't understand why the whole fleet wasn't recalled for repair. Buying my sixth new Nissan since 1973, a "2011 Rogue".

This car sucks!
By biggdaddy23 on 01/29/11 23:07 PM (PST)

2003 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Bought the car in 2006 with only 31,000 miles. Kept getting a cylinder 2 misfire and tried everything to fix it, change coil pack, spark plugs etc. Car starts shaking and had a weird smell like someone posted earlier. Had to replace motor mounts, brakes and power steering pump. Every six months it seemed like the car had a problem that needed fixing. The catalytic converter needed replacing and the ac compressor also was going out on the car so I decided to trade it in for a hyundai elantra this week. i realized that i spent almost $4,000 dollars into repairing this car. I will never buy a Nissan ever again!

So far so good
By Snoopy62 on 08/29/09 07:16 AM (PDT)

2003 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned this car new since August, 2003 and there have been minor problems all except for the radiator tank cracking and having to be replaced. Minor problems like the hood support rod, whe I put it up to check the oil and snapped the rod into the holder under the hood, the hook part snapped off. Luckily the dealer had them in stock. This was int he cold weather so maybe it was the plastic got too rigiid otherwise I would have to hold up the hood by hand. Computer had to be reprogrammed twice after a recall. The original Continental tires stink and I finally got michelins after the second set of continentals. They only lasted 23k each set. 32 mpg on the highway using Cruise control!

Excellent All-Around Vehicle
By Trevor on 08/22/09 19:17 PM (PDT)

2003 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car used 2 years ago, and it has yet to disappoint me. It now has 107k miles and no problems. Very good acceleration and handling, great turn radius, extremely smooth ride and very spacious seating area. I love the eye catching rear light design, it hypnotizes people that drive behind me. Decent gas mileage, and nice features, overall a very satisfying vehicle. Although the "bose" sound system is a bit disappointing, and the microchip key costs over $100 to make a duplicate.

A steal at $7800 though some worries
By DavieJ89 on 04/20/09 00:16 AM (PDT)

2003 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I'm a 19 yr old who bought this as his first car, and I've had it for exactly a month now and it has been awesome but I have had a few problems with it. The exhaust emits blue smoke when I rev the engine while idling, and though nothing seems wrong the check engine light will not go off. And thats beginning to bother me. But who woulda thought a 4 cylidner engine could be so powerful yet so efficient? I can reach 0-60 in 6 seconds and I get almost 32 mpg on the freeway, the downside is the 20 gallon tank. The stereo system is amazing for something thats so standard, and the a/c is ice cold. And I always turn heads when I drive by.

still a great car
By matthew on 04/15/09 09:43 AM (PDT)

2003 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Last report 5-6-08 see Great Highway Car. Still a great car. Holding up decently. Now have 77k miles. My first problem, started to stumble when on highway. Felt like misfire. Checked spark plugs, found #3 did not look good. Replaced all spark plugs and #3 coil pack. Now car is great again. I still get about 27 mph with spirited driving. I run Mobile 1 synthetic oil every 5-6000 miles, does not use a drop of oil. Maintenance easy. A Durango ran me off the road in Dec on snowy road and I ran up a curb. Had to get two new tires but everything else ok. Typical strut clunk but ride not affected so i'll wait to replace. Overall has been an enjoyable reliable and comfortable car on long trips.

I'm Loving It
By urgirlang on 03/31/09 07:41 AM (PDT)

2003 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought it used with 98400 miles on it. It's the first car I ever bought with high miles. I just hit 100000 miles a few days ago. I know it hasn't been a month yet, but it's probably the best car I have owned. Everything else I have owned were American cars. I've had a Ford Escort, Mercury Cougar, Dodge Neon, Pontiac Grand Am. I like the fact that it has a Timing Chain instead of a belt. I love driving it! The only thing is that I don't see a difference in gas considering my Grand Am was a V6 and this is a 4 cylinder. It seems like I got more mileage out of the V6.

2003 Altima 2.5s
By John on 02/07/09 21:35 PM (PST)

2003 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I just bought my Altima used. After having the car for a month now I can say that all works very well with the power, handling and comfort. I love the power moon roof and the stereo is very good too. I found out that the turning radius is not all that good so you need to do a 3 point turn for many U turns that you need to make. The big problem I found is even a simple snow fall makes the car handle very badly and is quite dangerous even with good tires.

Good starter car!
By AltimaMan on 11/12/08 16:00 PM (PST)

2003 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I've owned this car for almost 2 years and have made some minor upgrades to it. Overall it is a good car, wish it had a little more power in the low end. Very stylish looking, great stereo system, and a smooth ride.

catalitic converter problems
By Don't buy one on 04/27/08 07:02 AM (PDT)

2003 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Nice car when I first bought it. Larger than toyota. But, at 50,000 miles check engine light, had to spend 800 on a new catalytic converter, then at 90,000 crank position sensor, failed several times before the dealer figured it out. Now check engine light again. Who knows what now. Buy a honda, much more reliable.