Used 2003 Nissan Altima 2.5 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Nissan Altima - Consumer Reviews

2003 Nissan Altima

View reviews for a specific Altima model:

The last nissan I'll ever own
By lola3053

2003 Nissan Altima 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

First let me say that I am meticulous about upkeep and basic maintenance (oil changes, etc.) My Altima, with 139,000 km's (100,000 miles) on it absolutely self- destructed over the past two weeks. For no reason that I or any mechanic can find the engine suddenly (over two days) burned out all of it's oil and then scored the cylinders so badly that it needs to be replaced. I never really enjoyed this car. It looked great, but handled like a girls car. It was always sort of "dainty" and overly sensitive to steering inputs. Also, the plastic used in the interior components and the boot around the gear-stick were of extremely low quality.

Favorite Features

The engine (when it ran properly) was fairly peppy. The trunk is a good size.

Suggested Improvements

I don't care what you do. I'll never trust another Nissan product.

Cat Converter Break Down-NEW ENGINE 2.5
By BUYER BEWARE

2003 Nissan Altima 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Loved when car when I 1st bought it. Owned for 18 months and now they will not back their products. My oil has been changed every 2500 miles all necessary maintenance. Now my check engine light went on 2 weeks ago. I take 2 Auto Zone and receive the infamous P0420 Code! I change spark plugs thinking it's minor. Nope I need an entire new engine for 4500.00. Catalytic broke down & as this happened the pieces were sucked into the engine and it ruined the rings inside the engine. SERVICE ENGINE SOON light came on 2 weeks ago! Also causing the oil consumption Problem. "Regional Specialist" NO HELP. I take care of my car.

Favorite Features

Fun to drive

2003/1
By flyer1

2003 Nissan Altima 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This car has very very serious control problems on icy roads. Dealer no help. Changed tires, etc. but to no avail. This is our last Altima because it borders on dangerous to drive in icy conditions.

Favorite Features

style, good power response, reliability

Suggested Improvements

too much plastic in the interior, cup holders inadequate, seats too short

Great Highway Car
By matthew

2003 Nissan Altima 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Bought car with 5000 miles, dealer demo. So far, has been great. Bought to use as commuter so I can keep truck for towing. Overall, I love the car. Handles great. Secure driving in the rain and snow. Installed Bridgestone Turanzas, made huge improve in overall handling and foul weather performance. Accelerates decent with 2.5, great gas mileage. With my new job I am now driving 100+ miles a day, and on the highway it is great. Average 27 mpg at 75 mph. Good NDSS sound system, decent features for base car. Seats are awesome. Interior quality not great, nothing really broke on car but I am careful with her. Reliability so far great. Now has 54,000 miles, still love it. Overall, great car!

Favorite Features

Base NDSS sounds decent, power trunk cut off in lockable glove box. Very roomy and comfortable. Steering and handling, decent pick up for 2.5 4cyl, exterior is good looking, not plain jane, big trunk, decent storage, I love my remote start (dealer installed) silver color hides dirt

Suggested Improvements

Paint seems to chip too easily, interior kinda cheap, my 05 F-150 interior is beautiful and sturdy, rides a tad hard, not impressed that the steel wheels are rusting, will be putting on some nicer wheels soon, my windows screech when it rains, overall, though, I am happy.

Terrible car; terrible company
By Evan

2003 Nissan Altima 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased this car brand new, and had problems from day 1. 6 recalls in the first 3 years; should have been a clue. Once I hit about 60K the maintenance got very expensive, than at 90K a very common problem, the catalytic converter went and caused engine damage, after $1000 in repairs, I cut my losses and sold it before the engine got worse. This seems to be all to common on this car, so be wear! I would not recommend any nissan product to anyone.