Used 2002 Nissan Altima Consumer Reviews - 394 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Nissan Altima - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Altima model:

Nissan Delivers Again
By Joseph

2002 Nissan Altima 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5M)

This car is great,I bought it the same year it got the new body in 2002.I always trusted nissan,my first was a 1985 maxima,then a 1990 maxima,a 2001 quest and of course the 2002 altima.This car only has 49000 miles on it to this day it is always in mint condition.

Bose,Leather,Sunroof

The gas peddle is way too light.

Worst Engine by Nissans Ever
By Chris

2002 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Only consider purchasing a 3.5L engine do not buy a 2.5L 4 cyl lemon!!! These engines have problems with pre-cat manifold, bolts from intake manifold can potentially enter the cylinders, crank/cam position sensors go bad, heating/AC problems. Other then that the car is great, really liked brakes and suspension, and gas mileage which varied from 21 to 27mpg. I bought the car around 75k-80k miles and it was already loosing oil since I fortunately noticed it right away after I bought it. Car had pre-cat replaced under warranty right before I bought it but the damage to engine from intake bolts or pre-cat was already done. The car mysteriously was losing 1qt of oil every week, after full

brakes and suspension, and gas mileage

diagnostics from Nissan which showed the engine running at 100% with no error codes and compression being good in all 4 cylinders, oil still disappeared at rate of 1-2 quarts per week. Finally traded it back to Nissan at around 90k miles and of course I didn’t mention about the oil. Good luck.......

love my new car
By pamandralphbartow

2002 Nissan Altima 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5M)

We just bought this use car and I have fallen in love with it! It has so much get up and go. It is sharp looking. I drive a lot for work and am so glad I bought this car!

The get up and go!

haven't found anything yet

Loved it, but time to move on?
By cfowler

2002 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car used from a rental company about 5 years ago. It had 37,000 miles and I am very near 110,000 now. Most expensive repair was window switch which was less than $100.00. Just had to replace the sending unit to the transmission yesterday and my mechanic said not to expect more than 25,000 - 30,000 more miles before needing a new transmission. Now trying to decide if I should sell it or spend the $2500 - $3000 on the transmission and hope it lasts me a few more years. Overall this car has been very reliable and I love it. Hope I can find a reliable newer one as my next car!

Huge back seat and plenty of leg room upfront for my husband who is over 6 ft

Can't really think of anything accept the interior is pretty basic, but that's how the S series is...

unreliable and annoying
By abelanger

2002 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

First car I ever bought new. Had fun driving for a few years, but had 1 serious engine problem (a screw came loose and fell into the piston chamber, would have destroyed the engine if not caught. Had many many many problems with body interior and exterior. Gas cover bent so badly I couldn't open to fill my tank anymore. Replaced, and a year later it happened again. Gave up replacing and now I just drive without the cover... Looks ridiculous. Inside everything is falling apart: standard shifter cover broke within months, doors and glove comp. Rattle, moldings fall off and break... Body not only 'looks and feels' cheap in/out, it really is cheap. I will never buy Nissan again.

none