2002 Nissan Altima 2.5 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Nissan Altima - Consumer Reviews

2002 Altima Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Altima model:

Sort Reviews by

Nissa Altima
By Justin Time

2002 Nissan Altima 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5M)

Love It. This has been my favorite car. I love the power, the style the look. It is a great and wise purchase.

Favorite Features

The car is very spacious

Suggested Improvements

The remotes break to easily

Fast & Basic
By NJMike

2002 Nissan Altima 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5M)

I've had the vehicle for a year and a half, it was a demo. Good everyday driver with usable power @ all speeds. A decent handling car. I'm 6'2" & it fits me well w/ good head & leg room. Interior feels like "Rubbermaid" was the designer. I know of other people who have the 3.5SE model and they are happy with them. I am too, but when the sticker price is getting close to 30k, I become real critical. Bose stereo is fine, but over-rated. No direct-in for MP3 player. This is a "bang-for- the-buck" car (I didn't pay anywhere near sticker as a demo) and as such it succeeds. It's just not going to overwelm you with fit / finish, style & sophistication, vault-like solidity

Favorite Features

Engine power & smoothness, reliability, roomy, HID lights, traction control, 6 air bags

Suggested Improvements

Build quality, interior design (cheap looking), suspension too soft @ high speeds / too harsh @ low speeds, automatic that upshifts @ redline, not @ 6,100 rpm, over-boosted steering, soft brakes that seem to wear out rather quickly, stiffen up the body structure, dealership experience, torque steer

Pretty Car but....
By woodstudio

2002 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I've had various problems with this car that I didn't expect on a new car. Such as: crankshaft sensor (dead in driveway), rear rotors replaced at less than 40K (fronts I could understand), defective latch on console door (can't close it), no heat, and improper rear suspension (bottoms out with people in rear seat). I do not recommend.

Favorite Features

It looks nice and has good interior room.

Never to the shop
By temecula

2002 Nissan Altima 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5M)

Many, many miles in a short time. Nothing like driving a sports car while paying sedan insurance!

Favorite Features

Great gas mileage, rough sports car- like ride but levels out at highway speeds, powerful, roomy, I'm running this car into the ground!

Suggested Improvements

Hybrid with a V6 would be cool

My Nissan
By Rick

2002 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

We have had our Altima for almost 4 years. Since then, we have made several long distance trips...it was great on the highway as well as in town. It even did well on the Autobahn when we moved to Germany. We have owned many vehicles in the past, and have kept the Altima the longest. It has proven to be a reliable, dependable, and fun car to drive. Prior to the Nissan, we had never owned a Japanese car before...we had always owned GM. Never again.

Favorite Features

Auto headlights, 16 inch wheels.

Suggested Improvements

More leg room for taller drivers.

Great Car
By Satisfied

2002 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

We bought our car almost as soon as they went on sale. We chose over the Camry and Accord because of its style and driving characteristics. We have had a great experience and after nearly 4 years it still feels like a new car. Great performance from the 4cyl and auto trans. We would definitely buy another one but we don't have to because our 2002 is still so great.

Favorite Features

Perfomance, looks, handling, reliability.

Suggested Improvements

Better original equipment tires. The Continentals didn't last very well.

Could have been better
By tabaks

2002 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

The car is a fun, good looking drive I never regretted buying. However, there are few issues I believe Nissan should have addressed better. before that, praises. Car accelerates nicely, almost too sensitive at first. Turns are handled with a heart-stopping precission! It loves the open road, achieveing road/city mileage ratio of 1.5! It feels wind a bit too much, with an uncany feeling "oops, this wind is moving me around, i guess..." Being the first-year car, I noticed these glitches: something is clicking under the dash when accelerating/braking, service had NO CLUE what it is. Doors resonate with music a bit too well. A bit difficult to get in if you're a big driver.

Favorite Features

Looks, steering wheel, dashboard, space, road handling.

Suggested Improvements

Noisy, lateral stability in wind, sound proofing, cable stringing under the dash. NEEDS standard extending sun visors, charging for this is a rip-off.

Do not Buy !!
By Big T

2002 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Got mine used and already replaced the cataytic converter for $500. Plus the car burns oil. Just a poor job by nissan. Wouldn't advise anyone to buy one.

Favorite Features

Exterior design.

Suggested Improvements

Do a better job with the engine.

Are you as confused as I am?
By DebZ

2002 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I'm confused by some of the reviews I've read. I bought my 2002 Altima brand new and have not had one problem with it. Sure, there were a couple recalls, which were promptly and correctly fixed so it was no big deal. This car has been 100% reliable and a joy to drive. It looks like a much more expensive car (I was first attracted to it because it looks like a Lexus, without the hefty pricetag) and handles like a dream. My lease is up in a few months, and I'm seriously thinking of getting another. Sorry some of you don't like yours, you must have been taken for a "ride".

Favorite Features

Steering wheel controls, look, gas mileage, pick up, interior roominess. The DTE display. Oh, and how the center arm rest raises up, so I don't have to throw my back out of whack to rest my arm. Genius.

Suggested Improvements

Can't think of anything.

WHAT A LEMON !!
By Ty01453

2002 Nissan Altima 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

bought this car 6 months ago (used) and it already needs a new motor. What a waste of my $$. For your own sake stay away from 2002 used altimas.

Favorite Features

non.

Suggested Improvements

engine.