Used 2002 Nissan Altima Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Nissan Altima - Consumer Reviews

2002 Nissan Altima Sedan

View reviews for a specific Altima model:

Beware when you go over 100K miles
By Bill

2002 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

The car was great until 100K miles. Since then replaced cat converter, O2 sensors, fuel door and driver side door handle and now the head gasket blows. Went on other forums and it's a typical problem that was known by Nissan. Won't buy another Nissan. Don't buy a used 2002 Altima.

Nice car but engine problems
By km

2002 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 SL 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I've owned this car since 2002. Only owner and I took it back the dealership each time for a decent oil change service. For some reason unknown to us, our engine had to be replaced after about 50k miles. At first the dealership wanted to make us pay for it, but arguing with Corporate Nissan helped us get it for free (after warranty ran out.) Some other minor repairs but overall not a bad car except for the engine issue.

Favorite Features

Lots of room in the back and a big trunk. Turns out this is a nice bonus for hauling a lot of stuff I never knew I had.

Manufactuing defect.
By Carl Carlson

2002 Nissan Altima Sedan 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5M)

My wife and I really enjoyed our Altima, we had 92000 on it and planed on another 100000. But to our dismay we found that the passenger floor board had nearly completely rusted out, shades of the 50s. It was so bad that when you put your hand on it it felt like a sponge. The dealer and the company did not care about this and would do noting that had to be a manufacturing defect. We will never buy another car from that dealer or company. We have bought a 2009 Mazda6 and love it.

Suggested Improvements

Stand behind their manufacturing defects.

Nissan Delivers Again
By Joseph

2002 Nissan Altima Sedan 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5M)

This car is great,I bought it the same year it got the new body in 2002.I always trusted nissan,my first was a 1985 maxima,then a 1990 maxima,a 2001 quest and of course the 2002 altima.This car only has 49000 miles on it to this day it is always in mint condition.

Favorite Features

Bose,Leather,Sunroof

Suggested Improvements

The gas peddle is way too light.

Worst Engine by Nissans Ever
By Chris

2002 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 SL 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Only consider purchasing a 3.5L engine do not buy a 2.5L 4 cyl lemon!!! These engines have problems with pre-cat manifold, bolts from intake manifold can potentially enter the cylinders, crank/cam position sensors go bad, heating/AC problems. Other then that the car is great, really liked brakes and suspension, and gas mileage which varied from 21 to 27mpg. I bought the car around 75k-80k miles and it was already loosing oil since I fortunately noticed it right away after I bought it. Car had pre-cat replaced under warranty right before I bought it but the damage to engine from intake bolts or pre-cat was already done. The car mysteriously was losing 1qt of oil every week, after full

Favorite Features

brakes and suspension, and gas mileage

Suggested Improvements

diagnostics from Nissan which showed the engine running at 100% with no error codes and compression being good in all 4 cylinders, oil still disappeared at rate of 1-2 quarts per week. Finally traded it back to Nissan at around 90k miles and of course I didnít mention about the oil. Good luck.......