Used 2002 Nissan Altima Sedan Consumer Reviews - 394 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Nissan Altima Sedan - Consumer Reviews

2002 Nissan Altima Sedan

View reviews for a specific Altima model:

200k and very pleased
By Dayton Brown

2002 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 SL 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased from a friend with approx 175000 in '06. She did a lot of interstate driving so the miles where high but the car was in great shape. The only major issue has been leaking valve cover gaskets, but nothing else of importance for the past 6 years (time we've owned it and previous owner) the car has an amazing amount of cabin space is very comfortable for me even in the back seats (I'm 6'2") we average 27 to 29 mpg depending on how much in- town or highway driver.

leather seats,cabin space, look, power

heated seats, ours rides a bit rough but may just need new struts

Aging quickly
By Prashant

2002 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I loved the new car. My first car ever. Had a lot of fun with it but getting pretty tired of it. I had a recall issue with the engine crankshaft when it was 2 yrs old .. spoiled my vacation. The car has failed to start on half a dozen occasions. Lately I've been getting a cylinder misfire. The car also started knocking about 3 months ago so I went back to 87 octane fuel. I've also noticed a lack of power recently. Or maybe its because I am hesitant to push it now because of all the reliability issues. I have 85k on it and hope to get it to 6 digits before letting it go.

Looks. Initial power. Handling/Suspension.

Improve reliability.

Beware when you go over 100K miles
By Bill

2002 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

The car was great until 100K miles. Since then replaced cat converter, O2 sensors, fuel door and driver side door handle and now the head gasket blows. Went on other forums and it's a typical problem that was known by Nissan. Won't buy another Nissan. Don't buy a used 2002 Altima.

Nice car but engine problems
By km

2002 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 SL 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I've owned this car since 2002. Only owner and I took it back the dealership each time for a decent oil change service. For some reason unknown to us, our engine had to be replaced after about 50k miles. At first the dealership wanted to make us pay for it, but arguing with Corporate Nissan helped us get it for free (after warranty ran out.) Some other minor repairs but overall not a bad car except for the engine issue.

Lots of room in the back and a big trunk. Turns out this is a nice bonus for hauling a lot of stuff I never knew I had.

Manufactuing defect.
By Carl Carlson

2002 Nissan Altima Sedan 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5M)

My wife and I really enjoyed our Altima, we had 92000 on it and planed on another 100000. But to our dismay we found that the passenger floor board had nearly completely rusted out, shades of the 50s. It was so bad that when you put your hand on it it felt like a sponge. The dealer and the company did not care about this and would do noting that had to be a manufacturing defect. We will never buy another car from that dealer or company. We have bought a 2009 Mazda6 and love it.

Stand behind their manufacturing defects.