2002 Nissan Altima Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Altima model:
new engine
By 87000 on 07/10/06 19:36 PM (PDT)

2002 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

my car is not over 100,000 miles and already had to get a new engine and other expensive parts

Don't buy 02, buy '03 or higher!
By kelly on 06/30/06 08:34 AM (PDT)

2002 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Loved the car, but after having to have the engine replaced, i didn't feel comfortable driving anymore. Engine was replaced under warranty at 60K miles, but i was told it was ok to drive until engine came in...only slight risk of fire! Problem caused by catalytic converter separating and being pulled into engine. I will never buy a first year production car again!

Altima after 4 years
By dm on 06/20/06 15:33 PM (PDT)

2002 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This car has been the best car I've owned (and I've owned a lot). I bought it because it was stylish, affordable, spacious (both passenger and truck space) and fun to drive. It has also turned out to be very economical (23 MPG city) and extremely reliable. On the highway, it has over a 500 mile range and it has never left me stranded. And with the 5 speed it is a lot of fun to drive. A lot of power for a 4 cylinder.

performance
By Vickie Tubner on 05/09/06 18:39 PM (PDT)

2002 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 SL 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This has been a exceptional good car. I haven't had any major problems and the vehicle has close to 120 thousands miles.

4 Years of Altima 2.5s
By Church on 05/09/06 08:50 AM (PDT)

2002 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This has been a very good family car. It rides well, handles family needs for trips and still looks sharp going down the road. There is more than enough power in the 4cyl. model to get the job done and still provided decent city drive MPG of around 25 - 27 (Standard) depending on driving style. I do not recommend the OEM tires that came with the car as they proved to be junk. With a decent set of all season after-market tires. I had no issues driving around in the snow of VT. granted I live in the city area. I recommend this car as both new and used model. Has potential for tuning if that is your desire.

Altima is a nightmare!!!
By Don't buy this car!! on 05/05/06 22:02 PM (PDT)

2002 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Don't buy a 2002+ Altima! I bought one and even the Nissan mechanics always tell me how unreliable it is. At just 1 1/2 years old, they replaced the engine! 6 months later my car was overheating and they put in a new radiator. Then it was under warranty, but I still got charged $800 because, when it was stalling and the dealer didn't realize it was the faulty engine (not unusual for these cars) they said I must pay the money to get it "fixed" and it wouldn't stall anymore. I never was refunded the money, even though it was under warranty, it kept stalling even with the $800 worth of "repairs", and the engine was replaced three weeks later.

My first car
By L'il J on 03/15/06 18:10 PM (PST)

2002 Nissan Altima Sedan 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5M)

Man there is only one thing that i have to say about this car. Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I got this car after i graduated from high school. I thought that i was gonna get a 2.5S but i got a 3.5Se. The performance in this car is awesome. I can reach 0-60 in like 6.0 Seconds. I remember one day i was on the expressway and i thought i was speeding, i looked down at the speedometer and i was only going 50. This car has great handling and great pick up. I especially love the dual exhaust and the xenons that my car came with. It makes me think that i have a lexus or something. The bose system is great to. The only thing that i want is the navi system but i can deal without it.A great car.

Cute and Reliable
By SingleMom on 03/10/06 10:59 AM (PST)

2002 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car new because I loved the sporty look and the horsepower on the 4 cyl. I still have it and it still runs awesome. At first I took it back the dealer because of a couple of recalls but since then have only had to do routine maintenance. It's the perfect car for a single mom with lots of room, options like auto head lights, temp and trip computer and is really comfortable. Car seats fits snug and securely in the back with plenty of room for a passenger. The trunk is huge and fits two strollers plus over night bags.

lacking quality that it should not be
By amcunn on 03/07/06 06:59 AM (PST)

2002 Nissan Altima Sedan 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this car brand new in 2002. I have had issues with the quality of exterior since day one. I had excessive wind noise on the dirver side come to find window stripping done incorrectly and now the door creaks when opening & closing. Door to gas tank, the hinge bent and the door has never worked properly and the dealer could have cared less. Brakes began squealing around 20,000 and have not stopped despite changing brake pads. Very disappointed with the quality of my first Nissan and I will go back to Honda for my next car.

Radiator Broken
By Slan100 on 01/06/06 17:16 PM (PST)

2002 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

5 months after my warranty expired, the radiator broke down from the top (anyone has had the same problems?) The dealer charged $760 for replacing it. My Honda Accord has been there for 6 years and 3 months, not a single serious problem. It makes me nervous. Very disappointed. First time trying a Nissan and last time.