Used 2002 Nissan Altima Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Nissan Altima Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Altima model:

A fine, reliable car
By dinoman

2002 Nissan Altima Sedan 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Bought the car new for its huge interior and exciting acceleration. It won out over the current Accord (much smaller interior, bland) and Camry (boring, slow, awful brake feel). Have had to replace the hood prop rod catch and took it to dealer for drive belt squeal when started cold. That is it. Pretty good for 92,000 miles and eight years!

Engine - powerful and fairly economical. Reliability and low cost of maintenance.

Interior plastics.

Would not reccomment another Nissan
By Prof

2002 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 SL 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I bought the Nissan altima 02 new and had planned o drive for at least 10 yrs. In the beginning it had recalls every other 3 mths. Every thing was ok since I made sure I took it in for every service the manufacturer recommended. This was until it go to 95,000 miles. It could not start in the mornings and the dealer said I had to replace the head gasket ($1500). This is after they replaced the body throttle 2 weeks before ($600). 3 mths later it just loses power while driving on the highway. I took it to the Nissan dealer 3 times ad they could not figure the problem out. I drove it to 3 mechanics who could not fix the problem. I had to buy another car. I do not recommend Nissan car to anyone. That engine?

The sound system.

The engine. Failing the start regularly for unknown reasons on a new car. At least they have to listen to their customers complaints. They are all e same, so fix them.

Stay Away!!!
By Muhammad Akhtar

2002 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 SL 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my Altima 7 months ago, and I finally got rid of it. I feel sorry for the person who bought it. I am a college student and cannot afford huge maintenance cost on this lemon. I have noticed most of the complaints are with S, and SL trims. The only major flaw with this car is the excessive oil consumption, and this model burns oil like crazy it does not even leak. It surely is a lemon, I didn't spend a lot on it except had keep up with oil replacement twice a month, which sounds really awful for a car that was rewarded as car of the year back in 2002. Nissan got bad reputation because of this car. Now I am looking forward to buy MAXIMA 6th GEN. They are a lot powerful and reliable.

Bose Stereo System, Leather Seats, Big Trunk, Lots Of Room, Smooth Steering.

Reliability, Quality and Ergonomics.

200k and very pleased
By Dayton Brown

2002 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 SL 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased from a friend with approx 175000 in '06. She did a lot of interstate driving so the miles where high but the car was in great shape. The only major issue has been leaking valve cover gaskets, but nothing else of importance for the past 6 years (time we've owned it and previous owner) the car has an amazing amount of cabin space is very comfortable for me even in the back seats (I'm 6'2") we average 27 to 29 mpg depending on how much in- town or highway driver.

leather seats,cabin space, look, power

heated seats, ours rides a bit rough but may just need new struts

Aging quickly
By Prashant

2002 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I loved the new car. My first car ever. Had a lot of fun with it but getting pretty tired of it. I had a recall issue with the engine crankshaft when it was 2 yrs old .. spoiled my vacation. The car has failed to start on half a dozen occasions. Lately I've been getting a cylinder misfire. The car also started knocking about 3 months ago so I went back to 87 octane fuel. I've also noticed a lack of power recently. Or maybe its because I am hesitant to push it now because of all the reliability issues. I have 85k on it and hope to get it to 6 digits before letting it go.

Looks. Initial power. Handling/Suspension.

Improve reliability.