Used 2002 Nissan Altima Sedan Consumer Reviews - 394 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Nissan Altima Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Altima model:

Great Style, Great Performance. Reliable
By deftech

2002 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 SL 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car with 10000 miles on it. I now have 80000 miles on it and have not had any trouble with it whatsoever. The big 2.5L cylinder has lots of power and is fun to drive. The cabin has more room than other cars in its class. The good fuel economy is just another plus.

Interior design and Bose stereo

Wish I had the sunroof.

Better than average vehicle
By libbstah

2002 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

While this car has had many recalls since first purchased it has been a very reliable vehicle. It was my parents before they gave it to me, and as a student, I find it great to own. It's fun to drive, looks nice, and gets average fuel economy. Other than the recalls, I have only had minor issues with the vehicle. I have no complaints. Love it!

Sound system, cabin space, looks, handling, average gas mileage.

Quality of interior.

A fine, reliable car
By dinoman

2002 Nissan Altima Sedan 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Bought the car new for its huge interior and exciting acceleration. It won out over the current Accord (much smaller interior, bland) and Camry (boring, slow, awful brake feel). Have had to replace the hood prop rod catch and took it to dealer for drive belt squeal when started cold. That is it. Pretty good for 92,000 miles and eight years!

Engine - powerful and fairly economical. Reliability and low cost of maintenance.

Interior plastics.

Would not reccomment another Nissan
By Prof

2002 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 SL 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I bought the Nissan altima 02 new and had planned o drive for at least 10 yrs. In the beginning it had recalls every other 3 mths. Every thing was ok since I made sure I took it in for every service the manufacturer recommended. This was until it go to 95,000 miles. It could not start in the mornings and the dealer said I had to replace the head gasket ($1500). This is after they replaced the body throttle 2 weeks before ($600). 3 mths later it just loses power while driving on the highway. I took it to the Nissan dealer 3 times ad they could not figure the problem out. I drove it to 3 mechanics who could not fix the problem. I had to buy another car. I do not recommend Nissan car to anyone. That engine?

The sound system.

The engine. Failing the start regularly for unknown reasons on a new car. At least they have to listen to their customers complaints. They are all e same, so fix them.

Stay Away!!!
By Muhammad Akhtar

2002 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 SL 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my Altima 7 months ago, and I finally got rid of it. I feel sorry for the person who bought it. I am a college student and cannot afford huge maintenance cost on this lemon. I have noticed most of the complaints are with S, and SL trims. The only major flaw with this car is the excessive oil consumption, and this model burns oil like crazy it does not even leak. It surely is a lemon, I didn't spend a lot on it except had keep up with oil replacement twice a month, which sounds really awful for a car that was rewarded as car of the year back in 2002. Nissan got bad reputation because of this car. Now I am looking forward to buy MAXIMA 6th GEN. They are a lot powerful and reliable.

Bose Stereo System, Leather Seats, Big Trunk, Lots Of Room, Smooth Steering.

Reliability, Quality and Ergonomics.