Used 2002 Nissan Altima Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Nissan Altima - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Altima model:

So far so Good
By figgi01

2002 Nissan Altima 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

So far I think I made a good purchase. The power is good for a I4, the interior room is great, the standard sound system actually uses Clarion speakers but wish the reciever wasn't so oddly shapped so it could be replaced with an aftermaket. Squeaks and rattles are my main concern with the car. The front suspension makes a squeaking noise when stopping down a hill and the rear suspension seems to rattle over bumpy roads. We will see how it holds up in the long run.

Power, Room, Value, and technology used thoughout

Interior quaility of materials, tighter steering feel at higher speeds, Suspension noise improvements, ABS should be standard.

surpasses extremely high expectations
By markyy

2002 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

After reading reviews here on Edmunds and other car sites, I narrowed down my search for a 4 door sedan between the Altima, Passat and Accord. THough I initially leaned towards the Passat, with its nice interior and good mileage,I liked the overall value the Altima gave me. Even with the premium package, whch included the Bose 8 speaker stereo, leather wrapped wheel, moon roof, and steering wheel controls, for the stereo and cruise control the Altima came in ~ 1 -2k cheaper than the similarly equipped Passat. After a test drive in the Altima, I was hooked. Overall, a great package for the money you pay.

Bose stereo Exterior styling 8 way drivers power seat comfortable seats large interior volume and cargo area good combination of 180 hp engine and good gas mileage excellent handling - very smooth ride fold down cup holders in middle of rear seat great passing power from 45-65mph

-front cup holders too large for most cups -a little wind noise from front sides when traveling at speeds above 75 mph -interior plastics look a bit cheap

What a car!
By J W

2002 Nissan Altima 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5M)

Under the guise of buying a "family sedan" I chose the Altima over the Accord and Camry because it blows those cars away in performance. I keep reading about how cheap the interior is but I strongly disagree. My interior is terrific, as is the sound system, and everything else about the car.

The engine - the number of cars from Lexus, BMW, Acura, Audi, not to mention Toyota and Honda that this car leaves in the dust is fantastic!

The orange digital display doesn't read well under direct sunlight. Cargo nets in the trunk could be more useful.

Catch me if you Can!
By nocboy

2002 Nissan Altima 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5M)

My ride is awesome! I got the 3.5 V6 back in Feb. of 2002 and I still dig it. I was waiting around to see what the 04 Maxima looks like and finally saw some pics. Nicer ofcourse but you could see that family resemblance so I'm cool with keeping the Altima. I take the freeway on a daily basis for my work commute, I luv working those lanes through traffic! Not too fun going home from Orange County to Corona Though...(traffics a parking lot). But then again it's a perfect time too show off my ride!

The engine ofcourse! Floored it on the freeway the other day and hit 130 mph before letting up. Still managable handling. The exterior body is gorgeous...

Do something with the steering/alignment. Always has this feeling like it's off even after fixing it! Gas mileage could use imroving but the car is too good to resist.

Finally got it right
By Clifton

2002 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

We purchased a 2002 model 5 months ago. Since the date of purchase, the car has been serviced 6 times. We took the vehicle home, and the car had a strong pull. The dealership has aligned the front end 2 times, replaced struts, tires, and the wheel. That being said, the car has been very good on gas and quick with the 4 cylinder engine. My wife enjoys driving the car, and the space that is available. The car is a little noisy traveling on the interstate, but around town driving is good. Car averages 21 mpg in town and 27 highway. If you are in the market for a nice car that will not break the bank, take a look at the Altima. Just take a long test drive.

Has to be the 175 HP 180 ft/ lbs of torque. This is far greater than that of the other cars in it's class. Motor is responsive, and surprisingly quick. Trunk and backseat room are nice as well.

I do not have any to date. The only problems we occured were discussed in the review.