2002 Nissan Altima Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Altima model:
Excellent car, 144,000 miles
By Andrew on 03/22/10 18:08 PM (PDT)

2002 Nissan Altima Sedan 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this car in Dec 01 when new styling came out. 3.5 engine very powerful. Only had minor issues (light bulb for miles display went out early on) some recalls initially. Again nothing major. At 144K, windshield wipers stopped working and I spent $200 to get fixed. Now it is leaking antifreeze and given I need new tires and new battery I decided to trade it in. Definitely worked out well for me though.

Complaint
By Cadet on 03/10/10 15:46 PM (PST)

2002 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

It is better to buy car in the 90s now. Nissan Altima 2002 is a piece of trash. After only 61000 miles, I have to replace the head gasket which is cost a lot of money.The car consumed more oil than gas. Please stay away from Nissan Altima. I used to be in love with Nissan for so many years but know,many I will buy the older one .

Buyer Beware
By 02 Nissan Altima on 02/04/10 11:04 AM (PST)

2002 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Ever since i bought the car the clutch would stick down in the bottom but it never happened frequently enough for the problem to get resolved and they always claimed that there was nothing wrong with. At 114000 miles my engine started to knock and i later found out coolant was leaking into my engine through a bad head gasket. $3000 later a used engine was installed and now I'm looking to repair a head gasket issue on this newly installed engine at 160000 miles. Never again will i purchase and Altima!!

Great Style, Great Performance. Reliable
By deftech on 02/01/10 19:02 PM (PST)

2002 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 SL 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car with 10000 miles on it. I now have 80000 miles on it and have not had any trouble with it whatsoever. The big 2.5L cylinder has lots of power and is fun to drive. The cabin has more room than other cars in its class. The good fuel economy is just another plus.

Better than average vehicle
By libbstah on 11/29/09 20:27 PM (PST)

2002 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

While this car has had many recalls since first purchased it has been a very reliable vehicle. It was my parents before they gave it to me, and as a student, I find it great to own. It's fun to drive, looks nice, and gets average fuel economy. Other than the recalls, I have only had minor issues with the vehicle. I have no complaints. Love it!

A fine, reliable car
By dinoman on 11/13/09 11:35 AM (PST)

2002 Nissan Altima Sedan 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Bought the car new for its huge interior and exciting acceleration. It won out over the current Accord (much smaller interior, bland) and Camry (boring, slow, awful brake feel). Have had to replace the hood prop rod catch and took it to dealer for drive belt squeal when started cold. That is it. Pretty good for 92,000 miles and eight years!

Would not reccomment another Nissan
By Prof on 10/25/09 15:46 PM (PDT)

2002 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 SL 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I bought the Nissan altima 02 new and had planned o drive for at least 10 yrs. In the beginning it had recalls every other 3 mths. Every thing was ok since I made sure I took it in for every service the manufacturer recommended. This was until it go to 95,000 miles. It could not start in the mornings and the dealer said I had to replace the head gasket ($1500). This is after they replaced the body throttle 2 weeks before ($600). 3 mths later it just loses power while driving on the highway. I took it to the Nissan dealer 3 times ad they could not figure the problem out. I drove it to 3 mechanics who could not fix the problem. I had to buy another car. I do not recommend Nissan car to anyone. That engine?

Stay Away!!!
By Muhammad Akhtar on 10/21/09 14:04 PM (PDT)

2002 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 SL 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my Altima 7 months ago, and I finally got rid of it. I feel sorry for the person who bought it. I am a college student and cannot afford huge maintenance cost on this lemon. I have noticed most of the complaints are with S, and SL trims. The only major flaw with this car is the excessive oil consumption, and this model burns oil like crazy it does not even leak. It surely is a lemon, I didn't spend a lot on it except had keep up with oil replacement twice a month, which sounds really awful for a car that was rewarded as car of the year back in 2002. Nissan got bad reputation because of this car. Now I am looking forward to buy MAXIMA 6th GEN. They are a lot powerful and reliable.

200k and very pleased
By Dayton Brown on 09/29/09 12:21 PM (PDT)

2002 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 SL 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased from a friend with approx 175000 in '06. She did a lot of interstate driving so the miles where high but the car was in great shape. The only major issue has been leaking valve cover gaskets, but nothing else of importance for the past 6 years (time we've owned it and previous owner) the car has an amazing amount of cabin space is very comfortable for me even in the back seats (I'm 6'2") we average 27 to 29 mpg depending on how much in- town or highway driver.

Aging quickly
By Prashant on 08/28/09 23:00 PM (PDT)

2002 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I loved the new car. My first car ever. Had a lot of fun with it but getting pretty tired of it. I had a recall issue with the engine crankshaft when it was 2 yrs old .. spoiled my vacation. The car has failed to start on half a dozen occasions. Lately I've been getting a cylinder misfire. The car also started knocking about 3 months ago so I went back to 87 octane fuel. I've also noticed a lack of power recently. Or maybe its because I am hesitant to push it now because of all the reliability issues. I have 85k on it and hope to get it to 6 digits before letting it go.