2002 Nissan Altima Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Altima model:
Buyer Beware
By 02 Nissan Altima on 02/04/10 11:04 AM (PST)

2002 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Ever since i bought the car the clutch would stick down in the bottom but it never happened frequently enough for the problem to get resolved and they always claimed that there was nothing wrong with. At 114000 miles my engine started to knock and i later found out coolant was leaking into my engine through a bad head gasket. $3000 later a used engine was installed and now I'm looking to repair a head gasket issue on this newly installed engine at 160000 miles. Never again will i purchase and Altima!!

Aging quickly
By Prashant on 08/28/09 23:00 PM (PDT)

2002 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I loved the new car. My first car ever. Had a lot of fun with it but getting pretty tired of it. I had a recall issue with the engine crankshaft when it was 2 yrs old .. spoiled my vacation. The car has failed to start on half a dozen occasions. Lately I've been getting a cylinder misfire. The car also started knocking about 3 months ago so I went back to 87 octane fuel. I've also noticed a lack of power recently. Or maybe its because I am hesitant to push it now because of all the reliability issues. I have 85k on it and hope to get it to 6 digits before letting it go.

Beware when you go over 100K miles
By Bill on 08/21/09 10:06 AM (PDT)

2002 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

The car was great until 100K miles. Since then replaced cat converter, O2 sensors, fuel door and driver side door handle and now the head gasket blows. Went on other forums and it's a typical problem that was known by Nissan. Won't buy another Nissan. Don't buy a used 2002 Altima.

Loved it, but time to move on?
By cfowler on 04/24/09 11:15 AM (PDT)

2002 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car used from a rental company about 5 years ago. It had 37,000 miles and I am very near 110,000 now. Most expensive repair was window switch which was less than $100.00. Just had to replace the sending unit to the transmission yesterday and my mechanic said not to expect more than 25,000 - 30,000 more miles before needing a new transmission. Now trying to decide if I should sell it or spend the $2500 - $3000 on the transmission and hope it lasts me a few more years. Overall this car has been very reliable and I love it. Hope I can find a reliable newer one as my next car!

unreliable and annoying
By abelanger on 04/06/09 10:23 AM (PDT)

2002 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

First car I ever bought new. Had fun driving for a few years, but had 1 serious engine problem (a screw came loose and fell into the piston chamber, would have destroyed the engine if not caught. Had many many many problems with body interior and exterior. Gas cover bent so badly I couldn't open to fill my tank anymore. Replaced, and a year later it happened again. Gave up replacing and now I just drive without the cover... Looks ridiculous. Inside everything is falling apart: standard shifter cover broke within months, doors and glove comp. Rattle, moldings fall off and break... Body not only 'looks and feels' cheap in/out, it really is cheap. I will never buy Nissan again.

Generally a good car
By Dale on 03/23/08 08:08 AM (PDT)

2002 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought it new in April of 2002. It had it's share of recalls but no more any other car. I did experience the hard starting and the dealer did fix the problem with chip re-programming. The paint on the front of the car will chip very easily and I noticed other Altimas with the same problem. The balancer shaft in the engine went bad at 61250 miles and wiped out the engine. That's right, 1250 miles out of warranty. Nissan told me, "Out of warranty, tough". The car sat at the dealer for over 2 months and the dealer finally agreed to pay for half of the repair costs. It has run flawlessly since then. I love the car, I am taller than most people and this car fits me.

Engine Failed at 95k miles
By Bob on 03/13/08 22:39 PM (PDT)

2002 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Pre-catalyst came apart at 95k miles after a recall supposedly fixed the problem. The pre-cat came apart and is close enough to the cylinders that it ruined the engine (the 2005+ models have the pre-cat moved farther away to permanently solve this problem). Nissan has rejected all warranty claims on any cars outside of 60k miles. $4600 to fix it. The only permanent fix is an aftermarket header that puts car out of emissions compliance.

Safety issues
By sadsack on 08/21/07 19:28 PM (PDT)

2002 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This car was bought new in 2002. I loved the styling, room, and power. It seemed to be a a great value compared to Toyota and Honda. Then the recall notices started. One involved the crankshaft sensor. It seemed the car could lose power while driving at any speed. It shut down while on the interstate at 65 mph. Sheer panic!! I was lucky to make it off to the shoulder. The crankshaft sensor was replaced (2005). Just two weeks ago it went out again while pulling out across traffic. I was almost broadsided. We paid for this new sensor. Forget customer service, five unreturned calls and no help. This could have been a really good car, but it is dangerous. I am trading.

Great Car
By GG on 03/22/07 14:18 PM (PDT)

2002 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Normal maintenance even at 5,000 miles has resulted in a car that is running great at 80,000 miles. Great engine.

2nd Gen 1st Yr (2002) Nissan Altima
By R.Bruce Hiddleston on 02/23/07 15:00 PM (PST)

2002 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

The 2002 Altima underwent a big design change resulting in many new and some not so improved or appreciated changes.New body is nice, but too low. The interior is appealing and comfortable. The interior lights need to be much brighter, as in the Sentra. The heater in our car has had problems since we got it at 14,000 miles. The car is taken to the service dept at least once a year to make it work as well as my 95 . Nissan PU,so far to no avail. Our car has had several recalls and problems peculiar to 2002 Altimas. Exhaust header replacement recall at 30K mi, muffler recall at 60K mi,front converter selfdestructed at 88K & Killed eng ($3.5K) The 100Kmi $2K warranty was a wise choice. purcased