Used 2002 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Nissan Altima - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Altima model:

Money Pit
By Valerie

2002 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 SL 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Beautiful car. Has needed a lot of work biggest complaint: it Burns oil a lot of oil I put oil in it every other day! Oil oil oil! This car should be recalled for the oil problem.

Favorite Features

Very Pretty

Suggested Improvements

Oil Problem

200k and very pleased
By Dayton Brown

2002 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 SL 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased from a friend with approx 175000 in '06. She did a lot of interstate driving so the miles where high but the car was in great shape. The only major issue has been leaking valve cover gaskets, but nothing else of importance for the past 6 years (time we've owned it and previous owner) the car has an amazing amount of cabin space is very comfortable for me even in the back seats (I'm 6'2") we average 27 to 29 mpg depending on how much in- town or highway driver.

Favorite Features

leather seats,cabin space, look, power

Suggested Improvements

heated seats, ours rides a bit rough but may just need new struts

Nice car but engine problems
By km

2002 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 SL 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I've owned this car since 2002. Only owner and I took it back the dealership each time for a decent oil change service. For some reason unknown to us, our engine had to be replaced after about 50k miles. At first the dealership wanted to make us pay for it, but arguing with Corporate Nissan helped us get it for free (after warranty ran out.) Some other minor repairs but overall not a bad car except for the engine issue.

Favorite Features

Lots of room in the back and a big trunk. Turns out this is a nice bonus for hauling a lot of stuff I never knew I had.

Worst Engine by Nissans Ever
By Chris

2002 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 SL 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Only consider purchasing a 3.5L engine do not buy a 2.5L 4 cyl lemon!!! These engines have problems with pre-cat manifold, bolts from intake manifold can potentially enter the cylinders, crank/cam position sensors go bad, heating/AC problems. Other then that the car is great, really liked brakes and suspension, and gas mileage which varied from 21 to 27mpg. I bought the car around 75k-80k miles and it was already loosing oil since I fortunately noticed it right away after I bought it. Car had pre-cat replaced under warranty right before I bought it but the damage to engine from intake bolts or pre-cat was already done. The car mysteriously was losing 1qt of oil every week, after full

Favorite Features

brakes and suspension, and gas mileage

Suggested Improvements

diagnostics from Nissan which showed the engine running at 100% with no error codes and compression being good in all 4 cylinders, oil still disappeared at rate of 1-2 quarts per week. Finally traded it back to Nissan at around 90k miles and of course I didnít mention about the oil. Good luck.......

Great looking car... that's all
By mcitv08

2002 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 SL 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

My "used to have" 2002 Nissan Altima was a great looking car, even up to the end when I traded it in last week. The comfort and ride quality is excellent. Amenities with the vehicle are to a minimum but overall the car is very nice. However this car does have many issues. The car at 97k miles had been burning oil (a qt a week) thus flooding the motor to where it can't start. 02 sensors were bad, fuel pump went out twice, recalled gas tank, very cheap interior materials. However when the car did run, of which it did very well 90% of the times, it drove smoothly and quietly.

Favorite Features

Bose radio, for 150w is excellent. Soft leather. Spacious cabin room. Adequate performance.

Suggested Improvements

Of what Nissan did change for 2008 wasn't much better. They need to steer clear of that CVT as they've lost their market for customers. CVT is a love/hate thing. I personally hate it. Interior quality is still poor as well as the performance seemed to gotten worse.