Used 2002 Nissan Altima Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Nissan Altima - Consumer Reviews

2002 Nissan Altima Sedan

View reviews for a specific Altima model:

A solid car with its own Achilles' heel(s)
By kismet1113

2002 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

My '02 Altima has over 200,000 miles on it with little more than normal repairs. Like most Altimas my crankshaft sensor failed around 150k miles. The frame of the car is 100% rust free, except for the floor panels right under the drivers side and passenger side front seats. This again is a common failure with these cars. My radiator started leaking around 150k miles and having to jack the front end of the car up 20" or so off the ground to work the air out of the lines is very annoying, but manageable. At the end of the day I have over 200k miles on the car and have yet to run into repairs I couldn't do myself...and for a woman I can't complain about that.

Favorite Features

The roomy interior is wonderful. I've laid the back seats down and hauled 8' lumber in the car.

An excellent trooper
By qwerty01

2002 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 SL 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Purchased my Altima with 75K miles, it now has 191K miles. Nothing really major that I can complain about, it's taken my abuse very well. My CONS would be: Cam Shaft sensor failed around 150K miles. Both rear calipers seized around 100K miles. #4 cylinder ignition coil failed around 175K miles. BOSE CD changer is completely unreliable. Pop out gasoline door is horrendous, I need to use a prybar to get it open. Around 150K miles the car started having intermittent difficulties with engine starts...takes 10-15 seconds to start. Mechanic doesn't have a good solution to the problem. Door actuators seize when it's cold out.

Favorite Features

Lots of space, driver's side is nice and big. It takes abuse like a champ, I performed very little maintenance over my 7 years.

Suggested Improvements

If something as simple as a Cam Shaft sensor fails, give people an easy way to detect and solve the problem! I did not enjoy towing the car and paying a mechanic around $250 to fix a $60 part. There's got to be a better solution here.

I like the car
By _boone_

2002 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

i like the car I haven't had any problems out of it besides the usually up keep of the car I honestly don't see how it has so many bad reviews like really what are some of you looking to get out of the car

Favorite Features

heat melts my face, dashboard design, sunroof

Suggested Improvements

I haven't had any problems with anything yet

consider yourself forewarned
By lmth10

2002 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my 02 altima in 2005 with 26k miles. Loved it at first; did all the recommended maintenance; highway mpg 26 but it seemed like I was always spending money on things going wrong that never occurred with my family's hondas and toyotas. My catalytic converter was replaced and less than a year later the engine light came on signaling it needed to be redone. My car also wouldnt start and I got a new crank shaft sensor and that took care of the problem for a few months until it happened again. Got another crank shaft sensor and cam shaft sensor and it still wouldnt start regularly! Finally the mechanic said I needed a new gasket which could cost $2500. I traded it in for $2k with 114k mil

Favorite Features

roomy

Suggested Improvements

it rattles, it leaks oil and coolant, it overheats, it has trouble starting, it's not that gas efficient- 25-26 mpg highway. Please do not buy this vehicle. Notice everyone has had the same problems with this car. If you get it you will regret it!

Cool Ride!
By jrbrad89

2002 Nissan Altima Sedan 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5M)

Had an 02 Altima 2.5 auto as my first car in 06. Loved it. Found this 3.5 SE with about 95k on it. Great condition. Some minor scratches here and there. Leather interior is sweet. Bose sound system great. Wish it had an MP3 port in the 02. Drove this one from San Diego to upstate NY with no problems. Lowered it 2" for faster handling. Looks cool too. Only thing I dislike is the extensive procedure to change the rear 3 spark plugs. You have to drain the coolant, release the fuel pressure, set the climate control system to a specific settings, remove the intake manifold, replace the spark plugs and replace the intake gaskets. Wheel bearing gone bad now.

Favorite Features

Leather, manual 5 speed, Bose system, sunroof, allow wheels, spoiler, cargo net, cruise control, leather door panels.

Suggested Improvements

Shifter cover deteriorates. Chrome window lining comes loose. Needs splash guards. MP3 Port.