Used 2002 Nissan Altima Sedan Consumer Reviews - 394 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Nissan Altima Sedan - Consumer Reviews

2002 Nissan Altima Sedan

View reviews for a specific Altima model:

Reliable
By crotch666

2002 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased this car in 2009 for $6,000 and it has and probably will be one of the best cars I will ever have. The only time it ever broke down once on me was in 2015 when the alternator went out. That was a quick and easy fix, and it was back on the road in no-time. I maintenanced this car regularly and it definitely gave back to me. I was in 2 wrecks in it, I would considered mild to bad. Someone rear-ended me extremely hard and the damage to the car was minimal. The other one someone pulled out in front of me and I t-boned them. The bumper was destroyed, but that was it. The other car was totaled. Extremely safe car and very reliable. The gas mileage could be better, but I love this car regardless.

Best first car
By Hailey

2002 Nissan Altima Sedan 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5M)

I got this car the day I turned 16 with 119,000 miles on it. before purchasing the only thing I know was done was the head gasket was fixed. since then we have got new breaks! it sounds like I need new spark plugs due to the car shifting weird and freaking out when going up hills. other than that I wouldn't want another first car! I think as long as you maintain it well and don't go drifting and speed racing then this car is perfect. I have had the car for more than 1 year and it now has 123,000 miles on it and still loving it.

A solid car with its own Achilles' heel(s)
By kismet1113

2002 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

My '02 Altima has over 200,000 miles on it with little more than normal repairs.
Like most Altimas my crankshaft sensor failed around 150k miles.
The frame of the car is 100% rust free, except for the floor panels right under the drivers side and passenger side front seats.
This again is a common failure with these cars.
My radiator started leaking around 150k miles and having to jack the front end of the car up 20" or so off the ground to work the air out of the lines is very annoying, but manageable.
At the end of the day I have over 200k miles on the car and have yet to run into repairs I couldn't do myself...and for a woman I can't complain about that.

The roomy interior is wonderful. I've laid the back seats down and hauled 8' lumber in the car.

An excellent trooper
By qwerty01

2002 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 SL 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Purchased my Altima with 75K miles, it now has 191K miles.
Nothing really major that I can complain about, it's taken my abuse very well.
My CONS would be:
Cam Shaft sensor failed around 150K miles.
Both rear calipers seized around 100K miles.
#4 cylinder ignition coil failed around 175K miles.
BOSE CD changer is completely unreliable.
Pop out gasoline door is horrendous, I need to use a prybar to get it open.
Around 150K miles the car started having intermittent difficulties with engine starts...takes 10-15 seconds to start.
Mechanic doesn't have a good solution to the problem.
Door actuators seize when it's cold out.

Lots of space, driver's side is nice and big. It takes abuse like a champ, I performed very little maintenance over my 7 years.

If something as simple as a Cam Shaft sensor fails, give people an easy way to detect and solve the problem! I did not enjoy towing the car and paying a mechanic around $250 to fix a $60 part. There's got to be a better solution here.

I like the car
By _boone_

2002 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

i like the car I haven't had any problems out of it besides the usually up keep of the car I honestly don't see how it has so many bad reviews like really what are some of you looking to get out of the car

heat melts my face, dashboard design, sunroof

I haven't had any problems with anything yet