2002 Nissan Altima - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Altima model:
Money Pit
By Valerie on 05/03/10 10:49 AM (PDT)

2002 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Beautiful car. Has needed a lot of work biggest complaint: it Burns oil a lot of oil I put oil in it every other day! Oil oil oil! This car should be recalled for the oil problem.

200k and very pleased
By Dayton Brown on 09/29/09 12:21 PM (PDT)

2002 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased from a friend with approx 175000 in '06. She did a lot of interstate driving so the miles where high but the car was in great shape. The only major issue has been leaking valve cover gaskets, but nothing else of importance for the past 6 years (time we've owned it and previous owner) the car has an amazing amount of cabin space is very comfortable for me even in the back seats (I'm 6'2") we average 27 to 29 mpg depending on how much in- town or highway driver.

Nice car but engine problems
By km on 08/01/09 18:49 PM (PDT)

2002 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I've owned this car since 2002. Only owner and I took it back the dealership each time for a decent oil change service. For some reason unknown to us, our engine had to be replaced after about 50k miles. At first the dealership wanted to make us pay for it, but arguing with Corporate Nissan helped us get it for free (after warranty ran out.) Some other minor repairs but overall not a bad car except for the engine issue.

Worst Engine by Nissans Ever
By Chris on 06/04/09 11:24 AM (PDT)

2002 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Only consider purchasing a 3.5L engine do not buy a 2.5L 4 cyl lemon!!! These engines have problems with pre-cat manifold, bolts from intake manifold can potentially enter the cylinders, crank/cam position sensors go bad, heating/AC problems. Other then that the car is great, really liked brakes and suspension, and gas mileage which varied from 21 to 27mpg. I bought the car around 75k-80k miles and it was already loosing oil since I fortunately noticed it right away after I bought it. Car had pre-cat replaced under warranty right before I bought it but the damage to engine from intake bolts or pre-cat was already done. The car mysteriously was losing 1qt of oil every week, after full

Great looking car... that's all
By mcitv08 on 09/02/08 19:49 PM (PDT)

2002 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

My "used to have" 2002 Nissan Altima was a great looking car, even up to the end when I traded it in last week. The comfort and ride quality is excellent. Amenities with the vehicle are to a minimum but overall the car is very nice. However this car does have many issues. The car at 97k miles had been burning oil (a qt a week) thus flooding the motor to where it can't start. 02 sensors were bad, fuel pump went out twice, recalled gas tank, very cheap interior materials. However when the car did run, of which it did very well 90% of the times, it drove smoothly and quietly.

Do not buy this car!
By Drew on 06/16/08 20:43 PM (PDT)

2002 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I had my engine and cat converter replaced in Aug of 07 free of charge due to only having 78,000 miles on my car. But they charged me for replacing my O2 sensors which was $450.00. Just last month in April one of my ignition coils went bad. Dealership wanted to replace all four. I declined and just got the bad one replaced. Two weeks ago my car stalled out on me when I was getting off the freeway, and I was barely able to drive it to the nearest dealer. Intake manifold and gaskets were damaged; they also recommended changing my spark plugs. Bottom line is these cars are pieces of crap, no matter how much money you invest in these cars to fix them something else is bound to go wrong.

Great Buy!!!
By Mario Carrasco on 03/30/07 08:24 AM (PDT)

2002 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

2002 Altima, is a maintenance free car, driving 100 miles per day in highways, just change oil every 3K miles and add some coolant fluid, that is all the maintenance needed. Nothing compares very strong engine with tires even better!!

you need one of these cars!
By 02altimahunny on 03/24/07 12:21 PM (PDT)

2002 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I just bought my Nissan and i love the way it handles and looks. i was looking for a car that fit me, and i found that in my Altima. I didn't really look at this car until i heard so many good things from co-workers. I'm glad i listened to them because i could not have been more happy with my purchase.

Great looking but not mechanically sound
By Andy on 08/09/06 21:07 PM (PDT)

2002 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

only 32k miles: Having been a short term owner thus far I have had to replace many parts: from brake rotors to master clutch and rear shocks all not built well from factory having speaking with many owners whome also replaced many parts either under warrenty or not. Otherwise I am thrilled with the look and functionality of this car and it's relatively low weight makes the mid powered 2.5L feel more powerful than other cars with similar engines. It also handles excellant in corners and bumpy roads.

performance
By Vickie Tubner on 05/09/06 18:39 PM (PDT)

2002 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This has been a exceptional good car. I haven't had any major problems and the vehicle has close to 120 thousands miles.