Used 2002 Nissan Altima 2.5 S Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Nissan Altima - Consumer Reviews

2002 Nissan Altima

View reviews for a specific Altima model:

A solid car with its own Achilles' heel(s)
By kismet1113

2002 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

My '02 Altima has over 200,000 miles on it with little more than normal repairs. Like most Altimas my crankshaft sensor failed around 150k miles. The frame of the car is 100% rust free, except for the floor panels right under the drivers side and passenger side front seats. This again is a common failure with these cars. My radiator started leaking around 150k miles and having to jack the front end of the car up 20" or so off the ground to work the air out of the lines is very annoying, but manageable. At the end of the day I have over 200k miles on the car and have yet to run into repairs I couldn't do myself...and for a woman I can't complain about that.

Favorite Features

The roomy interior is wonderful. I've laid the back seats down and hauled 8' lumber in the car.

consider yourself forewarned
By lmth10

2002 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my 02 altima in 2005 with 26k miles. Loved it at first; did all the recommended maintenance; highway mpg 26 but it seemed like I was always spending money on things going wrong that never occurred with my family's hondas and toyotas. My catalytic converter was replaced and less than a year later the engine light came on signaling it needed to be redone. My car also wouldnt start and I got a new crank shaft sensor and that took care of the problem for a few months until it happened again. Got another crank shaft sensor and cam shaft sensor and it still wouldnt start regularly! Finally the mechanic said I needed a new gasket which could cost $2500. I traded it in for $2k with 114k mil

Favorite Features

roomy

Suggested Improvements

it rattles, it leaks oil and coolant, it overheats, it has trouble starting, it's not that gas efficient- 25-26 mpg highway. Please do not buy this vehicle. Notice everyone has had the same problems with this car. If you get it you will regret it!

ITS A PIECE OF JUNK!!!
By machelas

2002 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

When i got it it drove perfectly but now it needs oil evry other day, it rattles like crazy. all i can say about this car is; Dont buy it!! Its a piece of junk. will never buy a Nissan again even if its offered for free. Shame on you Nissan for taking advantage of hard working Americans.! Forget Nissan. Would appreciate if they come pick up their junk in my back yard.

Favorite Features

Interior and exterior, but again perfomance is better than the look.

Suggested Improvements

I suggest a recall and improve on the engine and perfomance.

DO NOT BUY THIS CAR!!! Looks good but repairs are needed every couple of months
By chelsey_payne

2002 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car my sophomore year of college with 109K on it. As soon as I brought it back to school I started seeing problems immediately. It made this rattling noise when the AC was on at idle and so I took it to the dealership and they said it was the belt. Got that fixed for close to $400 and it still to this day rattles when the AC is on at idle. Had to get the crankshaft pos sensor fixed a few months ago. Every time I get it fixed the check engine light is back on about 2 months later. Now it is losing tons of oil and coolant and I am just being told it needs a cat converter and I don't have the money for it. Only has 123K on it. I am def looking for new car. This car is JUNK!

With proper maintenance, a good car
By tjonston

2002 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my 02' Altima from the original owner with 112k and it now has about 164k. Overall, it has been a good car with reliability that is comparable to Honda cars I've had. Apparently, there was a problem with the catalytic converter for the first couple of years of this version of the Altima but the first owner's mechanic had the foresight to swap it out and there has been no problems at all. The performance is great and so is the fuel mileage- I get close to 30 mpg on the freeway.For me, it has just been regular oil changes so I am pretty happy.

Favorite Features

Nice roomy car with a good sized trunk. The 2.5 engine is awesome on the freeway- passing cars is no problem.

Suggested Improvements

I think Nissan's customer support could be better but all dealerships are terrible- that's why I go to an independent shop.