2002 Nissan Altima - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Altima model:
A solid car with its own Achilles' heel(s)
By kismet1113 on 05/16/14 06:55 AM (PDT)

2002 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

My '02 Altima has over 200,000 miles on it with little more than normal repairs. Like most Altimas my crankshaft sensor failed around 150k miles. The frame of the car is 100% rust free, except for the floor panels right under the drivers side and passenger side front seats. This again is a common failure with these cars. My radiator started leaking around 150k miles and having to jack the front end of the car up 20" or so off the ground to work the air out of the lines is very annoying, but manageable. At the end of the day I have over 200k miles on the car and have yet to run into repairs I couldn't do myself...and for a woman I can't complain about that.

consider yourself forewarned
By lmth10 on 07/28/12 07:37 AM (PDT)

2002 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my 02 altima in 2005 with 26k miles. Loved it at first; did all the recommended maintenance; highway mpg 26 but it seemed like I was always spending money on things going wrong that never occurred with my family's hondas and toyotas. My catalytic converter was replaced and less than a year later the engine light came on signaling it needed to be redone. My car also wouldnt start and I got a new crank shaft sensor and that took care of the problem for a few months until it happened again. Got another crank shaft sensor and cam shaft sensor and it still wouldnt start regularly! Finally the mechanic said I needed a new gasket which could cost $2500. I traded it in for $2k with 114k mil

ITS A PIECE OF JUNK!!!
By machelas on 10/27/11 19:20 PM (PDT)

2002 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

When i got it it drove perfectly but now it needs oil evry other day, it rattles like crazy. all i can say about this car is; Dont buy it!! Its a piece of junk. will never buy a Nissan again even if its offered for free. Shame on you Nissan for taking advantage of hard working Americans.! Forget Nissan. Would appreciate if they come pick up their junk in my back yard.

DO NOT BUY THIS CAR!!! Looks good but repairs are needed every couple of months
By chelsey_payne on 10/19/11 13:54 PM (PDT)

2002 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car my sophomore year of college with 109K on it. As soon as I brought it back to school I started seeing problems immediately. It made this rattling noise when the AC was on at idle and so I took it to the dealership and they said it was the belt. Got that fixed for close to $400 and it still to this day rattles when the AC is on at idle. Had to get the crankshaft pos sensor fixed a few months ago. Every time I get it fixed the check engine light is back on about 2 months later. Now it is losing tons of oil and coolant and I am just being told it needs a cat converter and I don't have the money for it. Only has 123K on it. I am def looking for new car. This car is JUNK!

With proper maintenance, a good car
By tjonston on 10/08/11 13:44 PM (PDT)

2002 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my 02' Altima from the original owner with 112k and it now has about 164k. Overall, it has been a good car with reliability that is comparable to Honda cars I've had. Apparently, there was a problem with the catalytic converter for the first couple of years of this version of the Altima but the first owner's mechanic had the foresight to swap it out and there has been no problems at all. The performance is great and so is the fuel mileage- I get close to 30 mpg on the freeway.For me, it has just been regular oil changes so I am pretty happy.

Edmonds pays off again
By jerry45205 on 04/25/11 01:10 AM (PDT)

2002 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

My son re3ceived this car as a gift. It was very clean for the age. As soon as he got it he did an Edmonds review and this is what happened: He ordered a direct bolt on stainless steel racing header from optionimports on e bay motors, The main cat had already been removed. We eliminated the orig header/manifold which contains the problem pre-cat and the header went right on. Upon further examination of the car it looked like the engine had been replaced. Tell tale signs were the junkyard yellow marker markings on the side of the engine. Car body has 90,000 miles-after even more inspection could very well be a newer 2.5 engine as it was clean-as in oil and tranny fluid.So looks like a win.

A gift and a curse
By autobuffsince5 on 01/01/11 19:36 PM (PST)

2002 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

This car is a gem to look at even at 8 years, however, I will NEVER buy another Nissan product. After very wet weather the car has a hard time starts. The head gaskets wore and have leaked coolant which fouls the plugs and the 02 sensors. This problems has re-occured every since I hit 80k. Any bump dings it up easily and the car feels very unsubstantial. Abslolute must to change the stock tires. (terrible in snow). The AC does not defrost and it struggles to cool the car down. Overall the car has a phenomenal engine, but it seems that Nissan knows the engine craps out. They refuse to be accountable for this. Wonderful engine but go cart fit, finish and quality. Ur lucky to get 6 good years..

Defective Altima
By John on 08/17/10 13:43 PM (PDT)

2002 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

The 2002 Altima has defective catalytic converters. The media comes apart and gets sucked into the engine and destroys the rings. That is why so many folks complain about high oil usage. Nissan has abandoned owners and refused to do a recall. Buyer beware when dealing the this car company. My daughter purchased this junker and now can't afford the $4000 to fix it. Google "Altima engine failures" before you buy a Nissan. Who knows what other Nissan's might have wrong with them after 70,000 miles. Owners beware.

Better than average vehicle
By libbstah on 11/29/09 20:27 PM (PST)

2002 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

While this car has had many recalls since first purchased it has been a very reliable vehicle. It was my parents before they gave it to me, and as a student, I find it great to own. It's fun to drive, looks nice, and gets average fuel economy. Other than the recalls, I have only had minor issues with the vehicle. I have no complaints. Love it!

surpasses extremely high expectations
By markyy on 01/31/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

After reading reviews here on Edmunds and other car sites, I narrowed down my search for a 4 door sedan between the Altima, Passat and Accord. THough I initially leaned towards the Passat, with its nice interior and good mileage,I liked the overall value the Altima gave me. Even with the premium package, whch included the Bose 8 speaker stereo, leather wrapped wheel, moon roof, and steering wheel controls, for the stereo and cruise control the Altima came in ~ 1 -2k cheaper than the similarly equipped Passat. After a test drive in the Altima, I was hooked. Overall, a great package for the money you pay.