2002 Nissan Altima - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Altima model:
Complaint
By Cadet on 03/10/10 15:46 PM (PST)

2002 Nissan Altima 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

It is better to buy car in the 90s now. Nissan Altima 2002 is a piece of trash. After only 61000 miles, I have to replace the head gasket which is cost a lot of money.The car consumed more oil than gas. Please stay away from Nissan Altima. I used to be in love with Nissan for so many years but know,many I will buy the older one .

2002 Nissan Altima 2.5
By Nouky on 01/24/08 13:33 PM (PST)

2002 Nissan Altima 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

When the car works it's great, when it doesn't, it's such a hassle. Had problems from the beginning, bought it the first year they came out with the new body style. In winter, back doors wouldn't shut until the car warmed up. Had TONS of recalls! Very inconvenient. Car still has problems starting, something about the gas flooding into something, and I have to sit there with my foot on the gas holding it down until it does start. And supposedly there's no way to fix this problem. Such a headache. The car isn't worth all this trouble.

Had it for 5 years, still love it.
By chris on 07/14/07 20:51 PM (PDT)

2002 Nissan Altima 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I'm this car's first owner, and all I've ever had to do was change a battery. Incredible reliability, a fun drive with great cornering, a sharp look (this was the first model year with the redesign), value. This was the first car I bought on my own and it was a solid purchase. I didn't get many fancy options (cloth interior, vinyl) but it still looks quite nice inside.

new engine
By 87000 on 07/10/06 19:36 PM (PDT)

2002 Nissan Altima 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

my car is not over 100,000 miles and already had to get a new engine and other expensive parts

WHAT A LEMON !!
By Ty01453 on 06/30/05 03:40 AM (PDT)

2002 Nissan Altima 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

bought this car 6 months ago (used) and it already needs a new motor. What a waste of my $$. For your own sake stay away from 2002 used altimas.

Happy Nissan Owner
By Tim on 12/12/04 23:02 PM (PST)

2002 Nissan Altima 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I loved my '94 Altima so much that buying another was an easy choice. My '02 has its ups & downs. Its performance is great, though 3rd-to-2nd-gear shifting could be crisper. My mileage with the automatic transmission is good enough (26.5 mpg freeway). this car's andling is good as well. Its fun to throw around. I have not experienced any mechanical problems, other than several annoying sensor problems. the body style is gorgeous, and the interior is plain, but it doesn't bother me. I agree that its wet weather traction isn't as good as older models. the sun visors are too small, so sunset driving can be challenging. But all things considered, I'd buy another.

New model Altima
By Debbie Jara-Lorek on 03/13/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Nissan Altima 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

The car was brand new off the lot. During the first year the following needed replacing: clutch pedal, exterior molding, clutch boot and casing, entire exhaust system, some other oil parts that were recalled because of fire potential. Tail light and head light. Unable to get tail light out of casing to change (still out for 6 mo. now). Very disapointed!!!

Don't let them fix it!
By brandon11111111 on 12/23/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Nissan Altima 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Yeah, it sounds strange, but don't take your car in forthe "cold weather shutdown" recall. They will install a screen that is capable of blocking ice crystals from getting to the fuel pump. Since that was done to our car, the car has shut down 3 times in any weather! Basically the accelerator stops working. It's as if you put your car in neutral, but if you try to use your accelerator, nothing happens. Doesn't even rev. I know this has happened to several Altimas because the dealership couldn't figure out what was wrong and called Nissan who said they have no idea, but that these complaints are coming in heavy.

My 2003 Altima
By Anthony1975 on 10/23/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Nissan Altima 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This car is a hot ride. Even though I have the 4 cyl., it handles great-- nimble and sporty and has enough pep without having to sacrifice premium fuel (as the v6 requires). I really love the car but I just bought it in June, have 3,500 mi. on it and have already had to bring it to the dealership for a recall and a new radiator. There was a small leak in the seal of the radiator. It's kind of early to tell how reliable this car will be, but overall I would buy it all over again. It seems solid and has great precision!

Average car.. Awful service
By KGRAY on 10/16/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Nissan Altima 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This car has a great engine and very spacious interior. That is where the good things stop. Nissan service departments are awful. Car dead for no reason and dealer has it for 3 days each time with no loaner car offered for me or my family. Still cannot tell me whats wrong. Multiple other small issues. This is the 1st and last Nissan I will buy. Going back to Honda