Used 2002 Nissan Altima 2.5 Consumer Reviews - 27 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Nissan Altima - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Altima model:

Reliable
By crotch666

2002 Nissan Altima 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased this car in 2009 for $6,000 and it has and probably will be one of the best cars I will ever have. The only time it ever broke down once on me was in 2015 when the alternator went out. That was a quick and easy fix, and it was back on the road in no-time. I maintenanced this car regularly and it definitely gave back to me. I was in 2 wrecks in it, I would considered mild to bad. Someone rear-ended me extremely hard and the damage to the car was minimal. The other one someone pulled out in front of me and I t-boned them. The bumper was destroyed, but that was it. The other car was totaled. Extremely safe car and very reliable. The gas mileage could be better, but I love this car regardless.

Complaint
By Cadet

2002 Nissan Altima 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

It is better to buy car in the 90s now. Nissan Altima 2002 is a piece of trash. After only 61000 miles, I have to replace the head gasket which is cost a lot of money.The car consumed more oil than gas. Please stay away from Nissan Altima. I used to be in love with Nissan for so many years but know,many I will buy the older one .

Nissan Dealer needs to recall all 2002 Nissan Altima to fix the problem

2002 Nissan Altima 2.5
By Nouky

2002 Nissan Altima 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

When the car works it's great, when it doesn't, it's such a hassle. Had problems from the beginning, bought it the first year they came out with the new body style. In winter, back doors wouldn't shut until the car warmed up. Had TONS of recalls! Very inconvenient. Car still has problems starting, something about the gas flooding into something, and I have to sit there with my foot on the gas holding it down until it does start. And supposedly there's no way to fix this problem. Such a headache. The car isn't worth all this trouble.

Never buy a car in it's first year out!

Had it for 5 years, still love it.
By chris

2002 Nissan Altima 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I'm this car's first owner, and all I've ever had to do was change a battery. Incredible reliability, a fun drive with great cornering, a sharp look (this was the first model year with the redesign), value. This was the first car I bought on my own and it was a solid purchase. I didn't get many fancy options (cloth interior, vinyl) but it still looks quite nice inside.

Cornering, huge trunk and roomy cabin in front and back, rearview mirror that self-adjust for brightness.

When I first got it, hard to find decent tires in the right size, but the selection seems to have improved recently. Fit and finish was a little loose when I first bought it, and I thought that might mean it would age badly, but the interior is still in great shape.

new engine
By 87000

2002 Nissan Altima 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

my car is not over 100,000 miles and already had to get a new engine and other expensive parts