2002 Nissan Altima - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Altima model:
A solid car with its own Achilles' heel(s)
By kismet1113 on 05/16/14 06:55 AM (PDT)

2002 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

My '02 Altima has over 200,000 miles on it with little more than normal repairs. Like most Altimas my crankshaft sensor failed around 150k miles. The frame of the car is 100% rust free, except for the floor panels right under the drivers side and passenger side front seats. This again is a common failure with these cars. My radiator started leaking around 150k miles and having to jack the front end of the car up 20" or so off the ground to work the air out of the lines is very annoying, but manageable. At the end of the day I have over 200k miles on the car and have yet to run into repairs I couldn't do myself...and for a woman I can't complain about that.

An excellent trooper
By qwerty01 on 02/06/14 20:30 PM (PST)

2002 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Purchased my Altima with 75K miles, it now has 191K miles. Nothing really major that I can complain about, it's taken my abuse very well. My CONS would be: Cam Shaft sensor failed around 150K miles. Both rear calipers seized around 100K miles. #4 cylinder ignition coil failed around 175K miles. BOSE CD changer is completely unreliable. Pop out gasoline door is horrendous, I need to use a prybar to get it open. Around 150K miles the car started having intermittent difficulties with engine starts...takes 10-15 seconds to start. Mechanic doesn't have a good solution to the problem. Door actuators seize when it's cold out.

I like the car
By _boone_ on 12/15/13 13:11 PM (PST)

2002 Nissan Altima 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

i like the car I haven't had any problems out of it besides the usually up keep of the car I honestly don't see how it has so many bad reviews like really what are some of you looking to get out of the car

consider yourself forewarned
By lmth10 on 07/28/12 07:37 AM (PDT)

2002 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my 02 altima in 2005 with 26k miles. Loved it at first; did all the recommended maintenance; highway mpg 26 but it seemed like I was always spending money on things going wrong that never occurred with my family's hondas and toyotas. My catalytic converter was replaced and less than a year later the engine light came on signaling it needed to be redone. My car also wouldnt start and I got a new crank shaft sensor and that took care of the problem for a few months until it happened again. Got another crank shaft sensor and cam shaft sensor and it still wouldnt start regularly! Finally the mechanic said I needed a new gasket which could cost $2500. I traded it in for $2k with 114k mil

Cool Ride!
By jrbrad89 on 05/25/12 22:45 PM (PDT)

2002 Nissan Altima 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5M)

Had an 02 Altima 2.5 auto as my first car in 06. Loved it. Found this 3.5 SE with about 95k on it. Great condition. Some minor scratches here and there. Leather interior is sweet. Bose sound system great. Wish it had an MP3 port in the 02. Drove this one from San Diego to upstate NY with no problems. Lowered it 2" for faster handling. Looks cool too. Only thing I dislike is the extensive procedure to change the rear 3 spark plugs. You have to drain the coolant, release the fuel pressure, set the climate control system to a specific settings, remove the intake manifold, replace the spark plugs and replace the intake gaskets. Wheel bearing gone bad now.

Awesome car
By roushfan5 on 04/13/12 21:26 PM (PDT)

2002 Nissan Altima 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

A lot of people are complaining about their cam shaft sensors. Well my check engine light came on for the exact same problem. Turned out I was just using the wrong type of oil. Make sure you are using 5-30W oil to avoid this problem. After a couple hundred miles with the correct oil in the car the problem went away. Our car is the V6 with a 152,400 miles on it and to date the only problem we've had to fix is replace the seals in the engine, oil cooler and the rear value gasket. The interior is a little cheap I'll admit. But the car def. makes up for it with that fantastic engine. A great car but it has to be maintained

Great car
By waynerb66 on 02/08/12 16:07 PM (PST)

2002 Nissan Altima 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car with 59,000 kms on it in 2004. I now have 255,000 kms on it. I have never had anything major go wrong with it. I have replaced the rad, the alternator, the usual stuff, like ball joints and battery. Last year I did have to change some suspension parts. It was a lot of money, but it has a lot of mileage on it. So far it still has the same exhaust on it. It also has the original struts on the front. It doesn't burn oil. I change it regularly between 5000 and 7000 kms. It is starting to show signs of age though. I am having problems starting it. It still starts, it just takes a couple of cranks. Living in Canada, the salt is starting to take its toll also.

ITS A PIECE OF JUNK!!!
By machelas on 10/27/11 19:20 PM (PDT)

2002 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

When i got it it drove perfectly but now it needs oil evry other day, it rattles like crazy. all i can say about this car is; Dont buy it!! Its a piece of junk. will never buy a Nissan again even if its offered for free. Shame on you Nissan for taking advantage of hard working Americans.! Forget Nissan. Would appreciate if they come pick up their junk in my back yard.

DO NOT BUY THIS CAR!!! Looks good but repairs are needed every couple of months
By chelsey_payne on 10/19/11 13:54 PM (PDT)

2002 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car my sophomore year of college with 109K on it. As soon as I brought it back to school I started seeing problems immediately. It made this rattling noise when the AC was on at idle and so I took it to the dealership and they said it was the belt. Got that fixed for close to $400 and it still to this day rattles when the AC is on at idle. Had to get the crankshaft pos sensor fixed a few months ago. Every time I get it fixed the check engine light is back on about 2 months later. Now it is losing tons of oil and coolant and I am just being told it needs a cat converter and I don't have the money for it. Only has 123K on it. I am def looking for new car. This car is JUNK!

With proper maintenance, a good car
By tjonston on 10/08/11 13:44 PM (PDT)

2002 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my 02' Altima from the original owner with 112k and it now has about 164k. Overall, it has been a good car with reliability that is comparable to Honda cars I've had. Apparently, there was a problem with the catalytic converter for the first couple of years of this version of the Altima but the first owner's mechanic had the foresight to swap it out and there has been no problems at all. The performance is great and so is the fuel mileage- I get close to 30 mpg on the freeway.For me, it has just been regular oil changes so I am pretty happy.