2001 Nissan Altima Consumer Review: Good Transportation

2001 Nissan Altima - Consumer Review

Good Transportation
By Careyd on

2001 Nissan Altima GXE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Bought used in March '04 when forced to become a courier due to being laid off. Was local rental with 41k miles. I only had $10k and had to find something reliable, low mileage, relatively safe and economical. The Camry and Accord were over my budget and the Altima seemed to fit the bill. After 38k miles in 5 months (that's right!) I have been mostly satisfied. I did have to replaced the alternator ($340 changed it out myself) but only maintenance items besides that. I drive an average of 10 hours a day so comfort is important, and I have been pleasantly surprised by the seat comfort. (I am a big guy!) Actually roomier up front than other cars.

All the bells and whistles for about 3k less than accord/camry. Responsive 4 cyl engine, handles well for family sedan. Good gas mileage, average 26 mpg.

I hate the internal window antenna which looses effectiveness when windows are tinted. Front end bumper is built too low to the ground and often drags.