Used 2001 Nissan Altima Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Nissan Altima - Consumer Reviews

2001 Nissan Altima Sedan

View reviews for a specific Altima model:

Good car, but have concerns
By Melinda Gibbs

2001 Nissan Altima Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I've noticed in the other reviews that only one person complained that during wet weather hard braking causes the rear end to swing out...it's quite scary. I had 2 new rear tires put on the back today maybe that will help. It has done it to me about 6 different times in wet weather, almost hit another car a few times...not good. Hub cabs rattle all the time. Dealership can't fix them. Had trouble with power windows...all fixed under warranty. I really like my Altima, but I'm very nervous about driving in wet weather.

Favorite Features

Body style. I'm only 4'11" and I fit in the seat very well and have no trouble reaching the gas and brake peddles.

Suggested Improvements

Hub caps that don't rattle.

Good to Me
By juliemc

2001 Nissan Altima Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

After driving a certifiable lemon, I purchased the Altima. The ride is really smooth. I haven't needed any major repairs to the car, just annual stuff and oil changes. The heat/air cond. is superior. The seats are comfortable. Gas mileage is good. The trunk is roomy also.

Favorite Features

Defrost! It kicks in quickly and it hasn't failed me yet. CD player - gets me through long road trips Brakes - crazy drivers on the road.

Suggested Improvements

Replace the frame of my car with a Jag frame. (My dream car.) This car doesn't need improvements, just someone who takes care of their car and it will take you wherever you need to go.

Good Used Car
By 2001_AltimaSE

2001 Nissan Altima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased an SE preowned for $7k with 61k miles, sunroof, manual tranny, 6 CD changer. Reasonably refined with quiet engine and few vibrations, absolutely no torque steer, very little wind noise, and the interior is well executed and looks sporty in black (love the seat fabrics). The steering is well weighted but could offer more feedback (might improve with better tires), the 4 wheel disc brakes are reasonably powerful, and the engine has more than adequate power in low gears (esp. with the 5- speed). I dislike the exterior styling, particularly the rear, but have had good experiences with other higher-mileage Nissans. I didn't buy the extended warranty, but I'm optimistic :-)

Favorite Features

Much cheaper than a comparable Accord/Camry, big interior and trunk, smooth engine w/ satisfying acceleration, nice interior layout, 16" alloy wheels, quiet on the freeway, fun to drive, reliable, strong brakes

Suggested Improvements

Uninspired exterior styling (resolved with 2002+ model introduction), better resale value, suspension too busy over bumpy/rough roads, cheap Nissan speakers usually don't last any more than 3-4 years before distorting, minor interior rattles, manual gearbox not perfect (but not a fatal flaw)

Great car!
By StephanieHenry

2001 Nissan Altima Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car shortly after totalling a '96 model. I feel completly safe in an altima! Great performance, no major issues so far. Some small issues: driver's window a little off track but no motor problems. A little road noise but if you want a soudproof car you need to spend a little more. Some vibration on hwy, but I think it's more alignment and balance due to the stiff suspension. Great car for a low price and it will get up and GO when you want to!

Favorite Features

ROOMY!! You can load up and not worry about how everyone will fit! Comfortable, very nice looking: sporty on the outside, "family, professional" on the inside. Power, 5 speed is nice, AC/heater works wonderful! GREAT CAR!

Suggested Improvements

Softer suspension, better paint-chips easily, maybe some support in the seats- nothing fancy but long rides do kind of irritate my lower back.

Best Buy in the Mid-size category
By Ben K

2001 Nissan Altima Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car privately in 7/02 with 7,000 miles. It now has 52,000. It is a dream drive anytime I get in it. Recently, my wife took a job that requires 150-200 miles of driving daily so I turned it over to her and bought an '04 Dakota (awesome, too). SHE LOVES THE ALTIMA!! One problem, though. Her company is now insisting she drive a company car (Jeep Liberty). She is very upset that she has to give it up! I would definetely buy another 00 or 01 Altima. I would avoid the 2002 & up as they are very hard on the eyes (ugly).

Favorite Features

Keyless, 5spd manual linked with the 2.4 provides sports-car like driving experience, cruise control on the steering wheel provides precise interstate driving accel/decel.

Suggested Improvements

Put a little tighter suspension on it and some lumbar support.