Used 2001 Nissan Altima Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Nissan Altima - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Altima model:

Pretty good car
By Paul-engineer

2001 Nissan Altima GXE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car as an everyday to-and-from work car, and used it that way for 5 yrs. Now my daughter has it at college. I have liked this car. It has a smooth, powerful 4-cylinder engine, and the ride is nice. It has been very reliable - a couple of repairs done under warranty (intake manifold gasket and remote fob) - no hassle. I had to replace the radio/CD player when the CD player stopped working. And I went through the round of tires/brakes/battery at 60K miles, which is normal except the cost on the brakes was high. My gas mileage has been OK - around 30 for highway, 25 in mixed city/freeway commute. Interior space is tight. I am 6'1" and I think that no one taller could use this car.

Favorite Features

Smooth ride; powerful, quiet engine; handles well; reliabity excellent; good remote/security system.

Suggested Improvements

Interior room is deficient. Steering wheel column adjust won't let steering wheel go quite high enough for my tall frame. Noisy hubcaps. A bit more road noise than I like, particulary in the rain there is a lot of splash noise.

No Problems - Reliable
By J Goodwin

2001 Nissan Altima GXE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Bought in spring '06 with 30K miles. I shortly thereafter had to change the intake manifold gasket, but then have had no problems at all. I've since doubled the miles, and it still runs great. Nice car. I've had no braking problems w/o anti-lock. Maybe they should slow down. Good deal for a good car.

Favorite Features

I basically only drive on highway, and I get 27-29 mpg. Decent power.

Suggested Improvements

The rattling hub caps drive me crazy.

Not so bad but can ask for more
By Thomas

2001 Nissan Altima GXE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I've had my Altima for a little over a year now and it's been fairly reliable, no major concerns so far. About the rattling hub caps, I bought a set of aftermarker hub caps and they make funny noises as well! Turning radius is horrible. You can't make a tight U-turn to save your life. Gas mileage is okay, all interior features are easy to read and use and the car rides smoothly. The stereo system is good too. It's a good value for the money.

Favorite Features

Trunk cargo area, simplicity of interior features, reliability.

Suggested Improvements

Those pesky hub caps, acceleration, turning radius

first car
By fidel

2001 Nissan Altima SE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

this car is a good first car. i have not had any problems with this car since i bought it. very good performance.

Favorite Features

good fuel economy and good tight turns.h like the suspension it comes with.

Suggested Improvements

i only wish it was rear wheel drive.

Not the Greatest Economical Vehicle
By Jessica

2001 Nissan Altima GXE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

inherited this car from my grandfather in early 2004. The car only had 13,000 miles on it! I've put a lot of mileage on it driving to school and to work, and the car now has about 44,000 miles. Anyway, this car is nothing compared to a Toyota Camry or a Honda Civic. The cloth seats look like shower tiles! The dash looks quite cheap as well. The gas mileage is awful; I get about 23 mpg and most of my driving is on the highway. The body style makes it look like it's from the mid to late 90's. The hubcaps make these awful noises. I recently had the brakes changed, and they still make awful sqealing noises. The passenger window slides down a little, so you hear the wind blowing against the car.

Favorite Features

Reliability, smoothness, windshield, heating and air conditioning

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage, acceleration, hubcaps, passenger window, brakes, steering wheel, body style, cd player