2001 Nissan Altima - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Altima model:
Solid like a rock - 214K miles!
By Mike on 12/04/09 19:53 PM (PST)

2001 Nissan Altima GXE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I just hit 214 thousand miles on my 2001 Nissan Altima GXE Limited Edition. I purchased the car as a certified used vehicle with around 35 thousand miles. The only major problem I had was the fried intake manifold gasket at about 60K miles which was replaced under warranty. Transmission still shifts smoothly, you can hardly hear the engine run. I believe in religious maintenance and synthetic fluids - commuting daily from Pennsylvania to North Jersey, sitting in traffic jams on I-80 and trying to avoid the potholes are but everyday occurrences for my Altima. What's original on the car? Every single thing including the engine, transmission, battery and suspension. Not a single problem!

Reliable Altima
By njbaseball on 10/03/09 12:52 PM (PDT)

2001 Nissan Altima GXE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my 2001 Nissan Altima brand new. With over 120,000 miles on the odometer nothing’s gone wrong with this car so far. I did replace the original hubcaps after 40,000 miles because of the racket they made; aftermarket hubcaps don’t make noise! Otherwise this car has never been back to the dealer for anything except accident repair. I do change the oil & filter every 3000 miles, transmission fluid and coolant fluid every 30,000 miles, so the car is cared for.

Just OK
By LRS1217 on 08/04/09 06:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Nissan Altima GXE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased this car used in 2004. Don't get me wrong, I do like this car but I have been a bit disappointed as of late. I have always taken care of my cars, but I feel like in the past few years I'm always taking this thing in for maintenance. I know this car is getting up there in years (I also have 75000 miles on it) but I feel like I'm always taking time off from work to get this and that repaired. Mind you, I do routine maintenance and treat my car well. I am disappointed that I can't trust this car as much as I would like to. I highly doubt I will be buying another Nissan.

Absolutely Love This Car
By Roz on 07/22/09 16:48 PM (PDT)

2001 Nissan Altima GXE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car in Dec. 2000, still going strong with 145,000 miles on it now. The hubcaps did rattle often so replaced them with rims when purchasing new tires in '04. Only other problem was intake manifold gasket but hey was only a 300.00 repair about five years ago so not complaining at all. Overall, great experience, regular oil changes every 7,500 mi (used to change every 3,000 but driving habits changed). Just trying to see how long she'll last now. I've never kept a car this long but it has been a joy to own.

Disappointing
By Paul on 06/06/09 08:30 AM (PDT)

2001 Nissan Altima GXE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this '01 in 2005 with 75K. It's been pretty disappointing from the beginning. The handling is sloppy. I had to replace both motors at a cost of $300 each to the two front windows. That shouldn't have happened. The alternator also went out for another $600. New brake rotors on all four wheels cost another $900. I should have bought a used Camry or Accord (better quality), or a Ford Contour (cheaper, better handling). My parents had a '01 Camry and replaced nothing but the timing belt after 160K. No brakes, no window motors, no alternator. Nothing. The wheel caps are also extremely noisy. Poor quality over all. GM is probably better.

As Reliable as it Gets
By CAW on 04/03/09 18:44 PM (PDT)

2001 Nissan Altima GXE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

This is the most reliable vehicle I have ever owned. After 4 years, and 50,000 miles, I have had no repair bills other than preventive care. Personally, that's all I'm really looking for in a vehicle. However, while the Altima isn't a sports car, when equipped with the 5 speed manual, the KA24DE engine provides plenty of power for day to day driving. The car handles above average for a family sedan. My main complaints are disappointing MPG, and a bit too much wind noise. I also had to replace the the OEM CD Player as it did not play burned CDs. With low operating cost and low initial purchase cost, this would be a great car for college student or people on a tight budget. Highly recommended.

Just average
By steve on 12/20/08 21:57 PM (PST)

2001 Nissan Altima GXE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I have had this car for eight years. It has been okay except for the noisy hubcaps, which have been replaced twice while under warranty. They still drive me crazy when driving under 10 mph. You hear constant squeaks and rattles. Mileage is not great, 23 mpg combined. Ride is comfortable and decent power for a 4 cylinder. Radiator and CV boots needed changing after 80,000 miles. A/C clutch has been making noise for 2 years, but still works.

excellent
By roadwarriar on 11/28/08 13:37 PM (PST)

2001 Nissan Altima GXE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Very reliable vehicle, fun to drive, handles easily, comfortable and easy on the gas.

Maybe I got a lemon?
By Bob Snodgrass on 11/07/08 12:37 PM (PST)

2001 Nissan Altima GXE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car used from a dealer with only 40,000 miles on it. It ran great for about a year, up until about 60,000. Then we had some major mechanical problems - things you would not expect to go wrong so soon. The first thing was the air conditioning went out - cost $2400 to replace. Then something weird went wrong with the instrument panel that caused the cruise control to fail - another 600.00. Now the intake manifold gasket is gone (a problem these vehicles have) and the car idles poorly. We're tired of soaking money into this car- Our other Altima (a 96) was reliable which is why we bought this one. We're going back to Toyota.

Good Car
By Hitesh on 07/01/08 08:04 AM (PDT)

2001 Nissan Altima GXE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

We have had this car for 7 years now and it has been great all along. The car is very smooth in running and the handling is great as well.It is a great family car. Though it doesn't seat 5 in the most comfortable manner it still is a great car. Of late the fuel economy has been a bit on the disappointing side. I also am a bit disappointed with the trade-in value of the car as I am looking to trade-in this car for the new Altima later this year. Overall a great car.