Used 2001 Nissan Altima GXE Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Nissan Altima - Consumer Reviews

2001 Nissan Altima

View reviews for a specific Altima model:

Solid like a rock - 214K miles!
By Mike

2001 Nissan Altima GXE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I just hit 214 thousand miles on my 2001 Nissan Altima GXE Limited Edition. I purchased the car as a certified used vehicle with around 35 thousand miles. The only major problem I had was the fried intake manifold gasket at about 60K miles which was replaced under warranty. Transmission still shifts smoothly, you can hardly hear the engine run. I believe in religious maintenance and synthetic fluids - commuting daily from Pennsylvania to North Jersey, sitting in traffic jams on I-80 and trying to avoid the potholes are but everyday occurrences for my Altima. What's original on the car? Every single thing including the engine, transmission, battery and suspension. Not a single problem!

Favorite Features

A car that doesn't break down after 60K miles like most American made crap and keeps running problem-free for over 200K miles.

Suggested Improvements

Location of driver side power seat controls could not be any worse - any 200-pound guy will destroy the thing within a month just by getting in and out of the seat. Radio stinks big time!

Reliable Altima
By njbaseball

2001 Nissan Altima GXE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my 2001 Nissan Altima brand new. With over 120,000 miles on the odometer nothing’s gone wrong with this car so far. I did replace the original hubcaps after 40,000 miles because of the racket they made; aftermarket hubcaps don’t make noise! Otherwise this car has never been back to the dealer for anything except accident repair. I do change the oil & filter every 3000 miles, transmission fluid and coolant fluid every 30,000 miles, so the car is cared for.

Favorite Features

Reliability!

Suggested Improvements

I do wish Nissan would’ve engineered better ride and handling into this car. The ride is okay on regular roads but gets nasty when bumps and potholes are the norm. Better mileage city mileage would’ve been preferred as it only averages 23 mpg around town.

Just OK
By LRS1217

2001 Nissan Altima GXE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased this car used in 2004. Don't get me wrong, I do like this car but I have been a bit disappointed as of late. I have always taken care of my cars, but I feel like in the past few years I'm always taking this thing in for maintenance. I know this car is getting up there in years (I also have 75000 miles on it) but I feel like I'm always taking time off from work to get this and that repaired. Mind you, I do routine maintenance and treat my car well. I am disappointed that I can't trust this car as much as I would like to. I highly doubt I will be buying another Nissan.

Favorite Features

Extremely reliable for the first few years I owned it. Good on gas.

Suggested Improvements

Noisy hubcaps, rough ride, overall need for maintenance.

Absolutely Love This Car
By Roz

2001 Nissan Altima GXE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car in Dec. 2000, still going strong with 145,000 miles on it now. The hubcaps did rattle often so replaced them with rims when purchasing new tires in '04. Only other problem was intake manifold gasket but hey was only a 300.00 repair about five years ago so not complaining at all. Overall, great experience, regular oil changes every 7,500 mi (used to change every 3,000 but driving habits changed). Just trying to see how long she'll last now. I've never kept a car this long but it has been a joy to own.

Favorite Features

Comfortable driver's seat, exceptional handling. Just had a rental for vacation (GMC Arcadia), couldn't wait to get back home to my Altima.

Disappointing
By Paul

2001 Nissan Altima GXE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this '01 in 2005 with 75K. It's been pretty disappointing from the beginning. The handling is sloppy. I had to replace both motors at a cost of $300 each to the two front windows. That shouldn't have happened. The alternator also went out for another $600. New brake rotors on all four wheels cost another $900. I should have bought a used Camry or Accord (better quality), or a Ford Contour (cheaper, better handling). My parents had a '01 Camry and replaced nothing but the timing belt after 160K. No brakes, no window motors, no alternator. Nothing. The wheel caps are also extremely noisy. Poor quality over all. GM is probably better.

Favorite Features

Interior is nice.

Suggested Improvements

They've made the Altima quite a bit better, but I won't go back to Nissan. I'll probably replace this in a couple of years with one of the new compacts Ford is bringing over from Europe. At least they'll be interesting.