Used 2001 Nissan Altima GLE Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Nissan Altima - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Altima model:

Eight years and going strong
By Nancy

2001 Nissan Altima GLE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I purchased my Nissan Altima GLE new, and currently have 84,400 miles on it, with plans to drive it several more years if it continues to perform well. I have been faithful with routine maintenance, and have had no problems at all. It is a comfortable, roomy sedan.

Favorite Features

comfort-good lumbar support, nice leather interior, easy handling.

Ok, but disappointed
By JLPearl

2001 Nissan Altima GLE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I was disappointed in this car. Have heard foriegn cars are better, and this was my first one - no more for me. Check engine light came on before we even got it home! Went round & round with the dealer who finally agreed to the repair - intake manifold gasket (exact same problem I had with my GM!) Car sits low - it will rust, even if you constantly wash it. Car is light and has a rough ride - feel every bump in the road. Exterior trim started falling off one day for no reason. Power drivers window was very sluggish. Gas mileage was horrid - I the best I got was 24mpg. I went back to GM and am happier. I get 28-30mpg consistently with my current full size GM product (V6).

Favorite Features

Exterior is not bad looking, just sits too low.

Suggested Improvements

Intake manifold gasket is a problem in these cars. Car sits too low.

I like my little car
By PlatinumGLE

2001 Nissan Altima GLE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

After having a 98 Chevy Malibu for 2 years (First car) and repairing it at least once a month.. This little Altima is a great little car. I bought it with 50k for a steal, it is a Titanium Pearl Metallic GLE with every option but ABS. It was meant to be my college car but now i am trying to get it paid off by next year since i am now a Honda employee and have discounts. I have read complaints about the braking in wet weather, when you have a vehicle w/o ABS what do you expect? Brakes lock up when you hit them... My car stops fine.. It handles great with 16" rims, looks great with clear tail lights and tinted windows.. If you are wanting a 01 Altima.. I say GO for it!

Favorite Features

Leather int., side air bags, moon roof, spoiler, great handling, i love how you can "whip" it into parking spots or in and out of downtown roads. My gas mileage is good on interstate.

Suggested Improvements

Factory sound system, mine is definitely clear but no bass, everything else is improved in the new model, but i was not impressed with the new models build quality. I cant wait till i get my accord coupe!

Practical and Basic
By SallyM

2001 Nissan Altima GLE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I have owned Nissans since 1979. I don't think they can be beat for reliability/dependability. The Nissan Altima 2001 is no exception to this, only it's a really boring car. It's not fun to drive: Less power, poorer handling in wet weather, wider turning radius, and it just looks like a million others. It is so common looking that you lose it in parking lots. Save your money and buy one that's 2002 model year after they changed the design and made it look a whole lot sharper. Why not have looks, performance and dependability instead of just dependability?

Favorite Features

Good gas mileage. Reliable and dependable.

Suggested Improvements

Fortunately for Nissan, they redesigned this car for the next model year, as well they should have.

Great Car
By jhandu

2001 Nissan Altima GLE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Fun to drive. Good acceleration. Ordinary build qulity.