2001 Nissan Altima - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Altima model:
I love this car!
By jt041196 on 01/05/14 11:49 AM (PST)

2001 Nissan Altima GXE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I got my license in August 2013 and I immediately began shopping for a used car, when I found this one for $4000 at a used car dealership with only 93,522 miles on it! I was sold! Since then I've gotten it up to 95,993 miles and it's been my mobile best friend since I purchased it, and I've been lucky enough to jazz it up with new air fresheners, a New York Yankees license plate frame, sports decals and fun bumper stickers.

Had it 18 months and for around 10,000 miles
By raaraa on 12/30/11 21:30 PM (PST)

2001 Nissan Altima SE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

This is my first car, bought it when I was in college in Arizona in 2010 for 3.5k with a 109k on it. My research said the car was worth it, and it has been so far. Had one minor issue with leaking water pump. But, the car is so easy to work on that I changed it myself and a few other things as well. Excellent performance in Arizona heat. Now the car is in Michigan, had it shipped here. Well worth it. Thermostat is giving me some trouble but she is resilient. It took her some time but she has adopted to the cold very well. The light wait does make it skid from time to time on ice, so watch out. But do not regret my decision not to buy a new car. This car has served me well and I love it!

Poor reliability, known problems w/ this model
By hyperslug on 04/11/11 17:36 PM (PDT)

2001 Nissan Altima GXE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Seems like a good car overall, but do a search on the "nissan altima intake manifold gasket". Many people have experienced this same problem on this particular model; some have noted the same in their reviews here. A required $600 fix mars an otherwise decent vehicle. The engine is more powerful than other 4-cyl's I've driven, but you pay for it in gas mileage.

Nice car to drive, some changes to be made
By britishmoose on 12/26/10 21:59 PM (PST)

2001 Nissan Altima XE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I just received the car about 6 months ago and love it so far. Its an overall great car as Nissan is known to produce well-reliable cars. The pros of the car are definitely the fuel efficiency, small compact size, the security of the driver seat and the space this little car has. The only thing that would be great to change is the amount of power this car can put in into high speeds, esp. while merging on the highway or simply having an exhilaration thrill. Wouldn't trade the car for anything else but horsepower could use a hand.

OK for a town car, getting costly
By OK town car on 10/26/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Nissan Altima GXE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

We bought this car new and had the power windows go out while sitting in Yuma,AZ in 110 degree weather..after having the dealer replace two and a recall was issued and all were replaced by Nissan. We have 95,000 on it and have replaced the defective intake manifold gasket twice..replaced the radiator, cv boots and axles..and it eats brake shoes quite regularly. Just had the check engine soon..now the catalytic converter is shot, $700 or so. Noisy hubcaps are a tradition with this model.

I love This Car
By LOVE MY CAR on 08/19/10 18:50 PM (PDT)

2001 Nissan Altima GXE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

My mom bought this car New 2001 in Ct. In 05 the car became mine. When I got it it had 35,000 miles on it, my mom took very good care of the car with all the regular maintainable. I drove the car to Miami and stay for 9 months driving. Then I drove it to TX. This car has needed some work, but the car is 10 yrs old, manifold gasket @ 95,000 structs & shocks, hoses, and tire rods.. The rest of the stuff regular maintenance. This car runs great, The seat motor just went out the stereo system & speakers could use a major upgrade. I have 99,000 miles on the car and just wanted to know how long I can expect to drive.. LOOKS LIKE I GOT WAYS TO GO. I'll definitely buy another NISSAN!

187,000 miles
By Rick on 07/12/10 17:51 PM (PDT)

2001 Nissan Altima GXE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my 2001 Altima GXE limited edition new. The car has never failed to start, but I have been dumping in money lately. I have replaced the manifold gasket twice, the driver window motor, and both rear window motors need replacing. I have also put on 4 new struts. The wheel covers are very noisy. When everything is fixed on it I do enjoy driving it. Get around 23-25 miles per gallon.

150K and still going
By Lee on 04/24/10 14:08 PM (PDT)

2001 Nissan Altima SE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I bought the car new. Manifold gasket replaced at 135k. Mine lasted little longer than many others I read. I was lucky that my mechanic only charged me $300. Front brake was only replaced twice and rear brake once at 120k. Changed battery twice every 4 years since new. Oil change with mobile 1 every 5k. That's it. Very low maintanance car. Enough power to get around and smooth enough but not a luxury just little better than average sedan. Little bigger than compact and little smaller than midsize. Gas mileage around 22-24 mixed driving.

236 k and still running strong
By sean on 04/06/10 17:05 PM (PDT)

2001 Nissan Altima SE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

i bought the car when it was at 175k for miles and i have use it for work and fun.i live in r.i. and i have taken it to Ohio and to keywest f.l. with 200 plus miles on her and i never felt like she was going to brake down on me. i do play every hard on her with white racing rims and an exhaust system its hard not too. keep up on the oil and the altima will treat you every every good.

Horrible mistake
By duhawk05 on 03/29/10 19:14 PM (PDT)

2001 Nissan Altima GXE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car after my very reliable Buick Skylark bit the dust. I'd owned an old Honda Accord (1990) before and thought I'd return to a Japanese sedan after growing up in Datsuns. A Datsun, this ain't... Instead, it was a horrible mistake. In the span of 1 year (2009), I put front brakes/rotors, exhaust/muffler, an intake manifold gasket (INCREDIBLY expensive repair for a $10 gasket-- $750), a battery, and an oil pan gasket and oil sender unit. I literally poured over $2500 into this car, and that's without my boyfriend helping me out, as he sells parts for GM and could do some of the repairs independently.