Used 2001 Nissan Altima Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Nissan Altima - Consumer Reviews

2001 Nissan Altima

View reviews for a specific Altima model:

Love my Alti
By Jared Rella

2001 Nissan Altima GXE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

My older sister got a newer car and gave me her 2001 Altima GXE for my first car. I've had it for about 3 months and I love it. It currently has a bit over 165k miles on it. Exterior wise it's bland and blends in very easily with traffic but it doesn't look bad. The 155 horses seem to work hard and get the job done. If I push the pedal down on the highway it picks up and has quite a bit of pep in its step. My gas mileage isn't great I get about 14-18 mpg city, but I think I have a leak. It has a brake light out, a broken seal on the front axle, and a valve cover leak but I think the valve cover problem was from my sister abusing the car. So far I'm perfectly happy and impressed with it!

Favorite Features

Overall performance, comfortable seats, trunk space, interior storage, gas tank size.

Suggested Improvements

Exterior design, build quality, more room for a tall driver

I love this car!
By jt041196

2001 Nissan Altima GXE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I got my license in August 2013 and I immediately began shopping for a used car, when I found this one for $4000 at a used car dealership with only 93,522 miles on it! I was sold! Since then I've gotten it up to 95,993 miles and it's been my mobile best friend since I purchased it, and I've been lucky enough to jazz it up with new air fresheners, a New York Yankees license plate frame, sports decals and fun bumper stickers.

Favorite Features

There are so many things I love about this car, it's hard to pick a favorite. For starters, it's really simple to drive and operate, which is good for people like me. It's great on gas, I find myself being able to use a full tank in over a week which is good for being a commuter. All of my friends have praised the comfy, roomy interior with the soft cloth seats and the abundance of cup holders, and I agree with them. It's just a great car to drive and I recommend it to anyone!

Had it 18 months and for around 10,000 miles
By raaraa

2001 Nissan Altima SE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

This is my first car, bought it when I was in college in Arizona in 2010 for 3.5k with a 109k on it. My research said the car was worth it, and it has been so far. Had one minor issue with leaking water pump. But, the car is so easy to work on that I changed it myself and a few other things as well. Excellent performance in Arizona heat. Now the car is in Michigan, had it shipped here. Well worth it. Thermostat is giving me some trouble but she is resilient. It took her some time but she has adopted to the cold very well. The light wait does make it skid from time to time on ice, so watch out. But do not regret my decision not to buy a new car. This car has served me well and I love it!

Favorite Features

Sun roof, read spoiler, very good looking. Very few of these on the road so makes me stand out. Engine, small yet powerful. Surprises a lot of people when I put the pedal to the floor. Great driving position. Cheap parts.

Suggested Improvements

Some issues with interiors. Engine takes time to heat up in winter. The 6 CD music system is kinda cheap quality. Suspension is very soft.

Poor reliability, known problems w/ this model
By hyperslug

2001 Nissan Altima GXE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Seems like a good car overall, but do a search on the "nissan altima intake manifold gasket". Many people have experienced this same problem on this particular model; some have noted the same in their reviews here. A required $600 fix mars an otherwise decent vehicle. The engine is more powerful than other 4-cyl's I've driven, but you pay for it in gas mileage.

Suggested Improvements

I suggest the company act responsibly and issue a recall, but I do understand that it's just a business tradeoff: it's better for a car company to ignore the bad publicity from unreliable vehicles until it becomes more cost effective to issue a recall and salvage their reputation. Honda was more responsible to me in this regard. I doubt I'll ever buy Nissan again.

Nice car to drive, some changes to be made
By britishmoose

2001 Nissan Altima XE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I just received the car about 6 months ago and love it so far. Its an overall great car as Nissan is known to produce well-reliable cars. The pros of the car are definitely the fuel efficiency, small compact size, the security of the driver seat and the space this little car has. The only thing that would be great to change is the amount of power this car can put in into high speeds, esp. while merging on the highway or simply having an exhilaration thrill. Wouldn't trade the car for anything else but horsepower could use a hand.

Favorite Features

Fuel efficiency, small compact size, fun to driveness, comfortable secure seating, overall space.

Suggested Improvements

Horsepower