Used 2000 Nissan Altima Sedan Consumer Reviews - 62 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Nissan Altima Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Altima model:

Old Reliable
By O Williams

2000 Nissan Altima Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car new in 2000 with only 14 miles on it. It now has over 120,000 miles on it and it has been a reliable car ever since. In 2004 I had to have the engine manifold gasket replaced, but got a good deal on repairs due to a friend's husband being a former Nissan mechanic. Since then, I have only had to have regular brake replacement, oil changes to keep it running. It's now 16 years old and showing its age, so recently the thermometer sensors had to be replaced, radiator replacement, and some leaks fixed. Of course that is to be expected on a car this old. I can deal with the fact of the driver side window regulator acting up, and other minor issues due to age. Overall, the reliability of this car has allowed me to put off new car purchase, since I am lucky enough to have a 5 minute commute to work every day. My only complaint is that I don't have all the bells and whistles technology wise that newer cars have. I still LOVE having that old CD player in my car, and it's still working! :-)

2000 Altima GXE
By James Bond

2000 Nissan Altima Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan

bought it for $1,400,It had about 96,450 miles on it.It now has 109,400.The previous owner or owners didn't take very good care if it,But I was in a bind and felt I got a good deal,turns out I have.I've drove the car on long trips like Oklahoma to Northern California it ran great doing about 70 the whole way in the middle of summer.It has always started up for me.I've reached 120mph in it....but that was a one time thing I was curious I take care of the car...I'm replacing the knock sensor not because it was bad but because somehow it came unplugged on the pigtail end of it is plastic and broke.New brakes,batterie,replace the valve cover gasket when I bought the car haven't had a problem with that sense...I use mobile 1 high mileage.
I'm proud of this car.I'd buy it again.My next car will be Nissan for sure.

It has 200,000km and lady-driven (which also means lady-maintained...lol).
By avroarrow

2000 Nissan Altima Sedan GLE 4dr Sedan

Bought this car from a family member for $1000 so the price was right but it did need a lot of TLC.
Things that I've replaced so far:
CAT at manifold, knock sensor, MAF sensor, 02 sensor, rad, complete rear brakes.
Other problems:
Leaking A/C system (hopefully I've fixed that)
wiring defect in the spoiler light (I'll fix that soon). The oil filter is impossible to change without putting the car on a hoist, over a pit or on jack stands/ramps.
The PCV valve is hidden under the intake manifold and will require hours to change.
The shifter light also needs replacing. If I wasn't a DIYer, I'd be broke, but I am a DIYer and now that I've done these repairs, it will go another 200,000km for sure.

I know that I painted a rather grim picture but the car is really a great car. This one suffered from an automotive-ignorant owner. The ride is second to none, the power is amazing and it is matched by the car's awesome handling. The interior is very comfortable and roomy enough for 4 adults, 5 if they're not whiners. The trunk is very spacious and doesn't require those stupid hatch struts that wear out and cost a fortune. The air filter is probably Nissan's greatest triumph. It's the same CA4309 (Fram part number) that fits every other Nissan made over a span of 15 years or so. As a result, it's dirt cheap and more common than the air filter of a Cavalier.

1) Dumbest thing ever: No remote trunk release. 2) Put the oil filter and PCV valve in a not so impossible to reach location. 3) Stop using those stupid plastic guards under the front of the car. They make it hard to work on. 4) Give it 16" wheels at least. 5) Stop using clear-coat that peels off of the spoiler. 6) The styling...proves that drug-use was very common in California in the late 90s. I'd say that 80% of the car is beautiful...until you get to the back and then you have a "WTH were they thinking?" moment. Mine's not so bad because I have the spoiler to make it look more normal but I've seen others without it and the shape of the trunk is just hideous.

Expected more from a Nissan
By jp

2000 Nissan Altima Sedan GLE 4dr Sedan

Disappointed in Nissan quality. I have own Nissan's and Honda's in the past and all were better than this model. I bought the vehicle used with 44k mi. I have had nothing but trouble since. Luckily, I purchased the extended warranty to 100k offsetting some cost. Had problems with A/C elec. module, tie-rods, ball- joints...had to replace a freaking motor mount! Had to replace oxygen sensors, water-pump, recently, the valve cover gasket and intake manifold. Interior seats rattle, door trim & sunroof trim comes off. I kept this car well maintained and it just continued to show its poor craftsmanship. I have 120k mi. now and plan in dumping it. Do yourself a favor and buy a Honda.

Poorly designed sunglass compartment that knocks the rear-view mirror out of adjustment when opened.

Better quality

Great Car
By Jan F

2000 Nissan Altima Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan

My car currently has 205,000 miles. Have replaced the alternator twice. I don't think the 1st one was that good, but hopefully the second one will be better. My mechanic tells me the car is still in great shape - not leaking any oil or anything. I have to say I have been extremely pleased with the reliability and dependability of this car. I have driven a lot of highway miles on it and I think that has helped emensely.

Reliability & dependability