It has 200,000km and lady-driven (which also means lady-maintained...lol).
By avroarrow on
2000 Nissan Altima GLE 4dr Sedan
Bought this car from a family member for $1000 so the price was right but it did need a lot of TLC. Things that I've replaced so far: CAT at manifold, knock sensor, MAF sensor, 02 sensor, rad, complete rear brakes. Other problems: Leaking A/C system (hopefully I've fixed that) wiring defect in the spoiler light (I'll fix that soon). The oil filter is impossible to change without putting the car on a hoist, over a pit or on jack stands/ramps. The PCV valve is hidden under the intake manifold and will require hours to change. The shifter light also needs replacing. If I wasn't a DIYer, I'd be broke, but I am a DIYer and now that I've done these repairs, it will go another 200,000km for sure.
Favorite Features
I know that I painted a rather grim picture but the car is really a great car. This one suffered from an automotive-ignorant owner. The ride is second to none, the power is amazing and it is matched by the car's awesome handling. The interior is very comfortable and roomy enough for 4 adults, 5 if they're not whiners. The trunk is very spacious and doesn't require those stupid hatch struts that wear out and cost a fortune. The air filter is probably Nissan's greatest triumph. It's the same CA4309 (Fram part number) that fits every other Nissan made over a span of 15 years or so. As a result, it's dirt cheap and more common than the air filter of a Cavalier.
Suggested Improvements
1) Dumbest thing ever: No remote trunk release. 2) Put the oil filter and PCV valve in a not so impossible to reach location. 3) Stop using those stupid plastic guards under the front of the car. They make it hard to work on. 4) Give it 16" wheels at least. 5) Stop using clear-coat that peels off of the spoiler. 6) The styling...proves that drug-use was very common in California in the late 90s. I'd say that 80% of the car is beautiful...until you get to the back and then you have a "WTH were they thinking?" moment. Mine's not so bad because I have the spoiler to make it look more normal but I've seen others without it and the shape of the trunk is just hideous.