Used 2000 Nissan Altima GLE Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Nissan Altima - Consumer Reviews

2000 Nissan Altima Sedan

View reviews for a specific Altima model:

It has 200,000km and lady-driven (which also means lady-maintained...lol).
By avroarrow

2000 Nissan Altima Sedan GLE 4dr Sedan

Bought this car from a family member for $1000 so the price was right but it did need a lot of TLC. Things that I've replaced so far: CAT at manifold, knock sensor, MAF sensor, 02 sensor, rad, complete rear brakes. Other problems: Leaking A/C system (hopefully I've fixed that) wiring defect in the spoiler light (I'll fix that soon). The oil filter is impossible to change without putting the car on a hoist, over a pit or on jack stands/ramps. The PCV valve is hidden under the intake manifold and will require hours to change. The shifter light also needs replacing. If I wasn't a DIYer, I'd be broke, but I am a DIYer and now that I've done these repairs, it will go another 200,000km for sure.

Favorite Features

I know that I painted a rather grim picture but the car is really a great car. This one suffered from an automotive-ignorant owner. The ride is second to none, the power is amazing and it is matched by the car's awesome handling. The interior is very comfortable and roomy enough for 4 adults, 5 if they're not whiners. The trunk is very spacious and doesn't require those stupid hatch struts that wear out and cost a fortune. The air filter is probably Nissan's greatest triumph. It's the same CA4309 (Fram part number) that fits every other Nissan made over a span of 15 years or so. As a result, it's dirt cheap and more common than the air filter of a Cavalier.

Suggested Improvements

1) Dumbest thing ever: No remote trunk release. 2) Put the oil filter and PCV valve in a not so impossible to reach location. 3) Stop using those stupid plastic guards under the front of the car. They make it hard to work on. 4) Give it 16" wheels at least. 5) Stop using clear-coat that peels off of the spoiler. 6) The styling...proves that drug-use was very common in California in the late 90s. I'd say that 80% of the car is beautiful...until you get to the back and then you have a "WTH were they thinking?" moment. Mine's not so bad because I have the spoiler to make it look more normal but I've seen others without it and the shape of the trunk is just hideous.

Expected more from a Nissan
By jp

2000 Nissan Altima Sedan GLE 4dr Sedan

Disappointed in Nissan quality. I have own Nissan's and Honda's in the past and all were better than this model. I bought the vehicle used with 44k mi. I have had nothing but trouble since. Luckily, I purchased the extended warranty to 100k offsetting some cost. Had problems with A/C elec. module, tie-rods, ball- joints...had to replace a freaking motor mount! Had to replace oxygen sensors, water-pump, recently, the valve cover gasket and intake manifold. Interior seats rattle, door trim & sunroof trim comes off. I kept this car well maintained and it just continued to show its poor craftsmanship. I have 120k mi. now and plan in dumping it. Do yourself a favor and buy a Honda.

Favorite Features

Poorly designed sunglass compartment that knocks the rear-view mirror out of adjustment when opened.

Suggested Improvements

Better quality

Happy Altima owner.
By Ram Zavala

2000 Nissan Altima Sedan GLE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car with 43000 miles on it back in September 01 and have since put in over 100k miles. Other the the usual wear and tear it has been a very reliable vehicle. I have done regular maintenance on it: replaced starter, brakes,alternator etc but otherwise it has been such a good car that I can't seem to part with it.

Favorite Features

Handling, reliability, smooth ride.Excellent a/c.

Suggested Improvements

Low seats, for a 4 cy auto city gas mileage is only ok, could be better.

So and So
By Tiki

2000 Nissan Altima Sedan GLE 4dr Sedan

This car was great when i bought it used with 85k miles, it waws wonderful until i decided to customize it, Rims, exhaust, the works, the suspension is now very bumpy, but it corners like a BMW. Overall this car is "you get what u pay for". Brakes wear down real fast, but maybe thats just my driving. Tires wear down real fast too.

Favorite Features

Interior is nice, the whole wood trim thing. Cup holders in the back, good call.

Suggested Improvements

Better mpg, im only gettin 19mpg combined. Better suspension. More HP. That squeaking from the belt... please.

Worth the price
By RJ

2000 Nissan Altima Sedan GLE 4dr Sedan

I purchased the car new and had not had any real problems. The Firestone tires wore out in less than 35,000 miles. The first brakes are VERY loud for the first few miles. I would recommend this car to anyone. I have 70K and it is still running strong.

Favorite Features

Enjoy the sun roof.

Suggested Improvements

Needs better brakes and tires. Could use a few more MPG only gets about 21 MPG around city.