2000 Nissan Altima - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Altima model:
Great Car
By Jan F on 04/28/10 18:39 PM (PDT)

2000 Nissan Altima GXE 4dr Sedan

My car currently has 205,000 miles. Have replaced the alternator twice. I don't think the 1st one was that good, but hopefully the second one will be better. My mechanic tells me the car is still in great shape - not leaking any oil or anything. I have to say I have been extremely pleased with the reliability and dependability of this car. I have driven a lot of highway miles on it and I think that has helped emensely.

Not the best experience
By Mark on 11/07/09 13:53 PM (PST)

2000 Nissan Altima GXE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car used with 84,000 miles. At 125,000 miles the power steering pump went out, the radiator was cracked and needed to be replaced, and I was getting a low oil pressure light going off. After a week in the shop they discovered little pieces of metal in my oil pump and in my oil pan. Apparently something came loose and essential ruined the motor. Prior to this slew of issues I never had a problem and enjoyed the car as a simple point A to point B type of vehicle. Maybe I was just unlucky, don't know. You can get these cars pretty cheap compared to the competition, and it's probably worth the gamble, but I had a bad experience.

My Altima
By K on 10/23/09 13:53 PM (PDT)

2000 Nissan Altima GXE 4dr Sedan

This is my 4th Nissan. I go back to Datsun 1967. My Altima is acting strange - warning lights go on & off, and doors lock and unlock. The automatic/remote door lock device has never worked well. Also, the air conditioner keeps leaking.

Great Reliable Car
By JimDee on 10/04/09 11:10 AM (PDT)

2000 Nissan Altima GXE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car used with 43000 miles. Almost 8 years later and at 143000, the car still runs great. Has always started up. It has only required basic maintenance (oil changes, tires, brakes, lights). It is a stick and gets 30mpg in town, 35 mpg highway. I'm so satisfied with this vehicle, I'm looking to get another Altima.

By JCH on 06/08/09 12:21 PM (PDT)

2000 Nissan Altima GXE 4dr Sedan

it has been enjoyable. The only items that have been replaced on this vehicle in the nearly 9 years of ownership, are normally replaceable items. It has been a very solid performer. I have no regrets.

BEWARE THE INTAKE MANIFOLD GASKET .....
By former nissan lover on 03/09/09 17:45 PM (PDT)

2000 Nissan Altima GXE 4dr Sedan

Was very happy right up til recently when my air intake manifold gasket was found to be leaking, causing the car to have a rough idle and possibly burn the #4 cylinder due to an engine hotspot. Great. Engine light will come on, and repair bill will be around $800, as it is an 8-9 hour job my Nissan dealer told me, and will happen again and again as the hot spot in the engine causing the burning is not able to be fixed.

Best car I've ever owned
By michelle on 02/24/09 15:23 PM (PST)

2000 Nissan Altima GXE 4dr Sedan

I bought the 2000 Nissan Altima GXE in 2004, when it had about 60k miles. It now has 119K, and has been, without a doubt, the most reliable, trouble-free car I've ever owned. And I've owned about 20. I just had to do a distributor last week, but that was the first real repair I've had. Oh, and for some reason, I end up doing motor mounts every other year, but I like a very quiet, vibration free car, so it might just be me. The Nissan mechanic said the '99 and '00 model years of this car were the absolute best. I agree. In fact, I'm thinking about moving up to a 2005, but I'm afraid it won't be as good as the 2000 has been to me. If you can't afford headaches, buy this car.

9 Years and Still Reliable
By Mad Hungarian on 11/30/08 19:29 PM (PST)

2000 Nissan Altima GXE 4dr Sedan

I purchased my Altima new and after more than 9 years, it has been the most reliable vehicle that I have owned. It had over 100,000 miles before it needed a repair that was not a routine maintenance item. It currently has close to 150,000 miles and I plan to get one more year out of it. Nearly everything on the car still works as well as it did when new. Quality is even better than my Toyota Camry which I had for 7 years. I would definitely buy another Nissan.

Dependable
By Cindy on 10/13/08 07:22 AM (PDT)

2000 Nissan Altima GXE 4dr Sedan

I purchased my Altima in 2001 with 12,000 miles. Today it has 158,000 and still counting. This has been an extremely dependable car. I have the 5 speed manual and it is very fun and zippy. The exterior paint has always been poor. The car is not the best looking but if your looking for dependable transportation, you just cannot beat this car.

145K miles and still going strong
By greenquarter on 04/07/08 10:13 AM (PDT)

2000 Nissan Altima GXE 4dr Sedan

I bought mine new and it has been amazing! Approaching 150K miles, it's just now starting to wear down (new water pump and deteriorating engine mount were a problem at 140K miles), but other than routine maintenance this car has been a gem. While under warranty I had minor problems, such as power window failing, but that's it. Spacious backseat for a compact car, lots of storage, decent sound system. Handling is sporty for a compact, as well. Interior feels more expensive than it is. Great value for the money! Gas mileage could be lots better for a small car (rarely got better than 25 mpg highway, usually 22 city). Owning this car has been a very positive experience!