Excellent car - even at 11 years old!
By McCallister on
1999 Nissan Altima GXE 4dr Sedan
I have a 1999 GXE 5 speed manual. It's currently at 97,500 miles. It's been extremely reliable. I'm meticulous about maintenance and appearance. Outside of one CV joint and speakers, no other repairs. Just regular maintenance expenses like oil/ manual tranny fluid/coolant/brake pad changes, etc. I replaced the struts and springs at 92,000 which helped to restore the car's ride quality to "like new". Fuel economy is 23 mpg around town and 28 mpg highway with a/c on. With cruise control at 60-65 mph on long highway trips without A/C I've gotten as high as 32-33 mpg. I can put at least another 100K miles on this car and plan on giving it to my son in 2 years. Great car!
Favorite Features
Smooth ride (especially on the highway), extremely reliable, powerful engine, cheap to maintain, comfortable interior for an economy sedan. Relatively quiet engine. Accurate cruise control. Decent quality paint. Easy to maintain for a do-it- yourselfer. Very reasonably priced used car.
Suggested Improvements
You're going to need to replace the speakers (don't pay dealer prices). Poor turning radius in tight spots. Nissan should have used slightly thicker door seals to keep the wind noise and "squeaks" down (noticeable in colder weather - solved with Armor All application). All extremely minor issues.