1999 Nissan Altima Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Altima model:
My Nissy
By Craig Stroud on 07/20/05 15:13 PM (PDT)

1999 Nissan Altima Sedan GLE 4dr Sedan

I used to have a serious dislike of altima's. I portayed them as a female's car. Well, my mom owned a 98 Altima that I drove sometime and fell inlove with it. I had to get my own. So I bought a 99" GLE. The interior is so comfortable, and the handling is awesome. I upgraded the tires to 205's and man, she takes a 30 mph curve at 70 with easy. Needless to say, no matter how many other cars I buy.....I'm keeping her til the last panel falls off.

my baby
By rachial on 04/02/05 08:50 AM (PST)

1999 Nissan Altima Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan

die hard toyota fan...wanted a camry, too much money! I love my altima. there is nothing i would change about my car. great ride comfortable, stylish, great gas milage, and very dependable. looking forward to the next five years! MAYBE MORE

Fun while it lasted
By Zidanet2 on 12/06/04 23:38 PM (PST)

1999 Nissan Altima Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan

My 1999 Nissan Altima was a very nice car. Ii had some work done to it, like a full ground effects kit, a cold air intake, and some subs and new speakers, beside the tranny giving out on me at 55,000 miles and battery dying at 62,000 miles it was a fun, reliable car to drive. It had the power to smoke Honda Civics and Acoords and a lot of other 4 door middle grade sedns. It was a safe car as well, I totaled it after hiting a guardrail doing 75 mph and it kept togther very well. It was definitely repairable, but my insurance company just totaled it because it experienced some frame damage. I reccommend this car to any one who wants a car they can trust and have fun with at the same time.

Excellent car - great quality
By dsinnreich on 11/30/04 02:04 AM (PST)

1999 Nissan Altima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

I bought my 1999 Nissan Altima SE brand new in 1998. It is now over 6 years later and I have never had any problems with this car. It is incredibly well engineered and very well built. It zips around quite nimbly around the city and drives very solid on the highway. In the 6 years I have owned it I've replaced the brake pads and tires once each. Oh and a turn signal burned out at one point. When I got married we had to choose 1 car since we live in the city and only own 1 parking space - we sold her Audi A4 and kept the Altima since we knew we would have much fewer problems with Altima. Great job Nissan. This car is so good we're now buying another Nissan.

Why buy a used Civic for more $???
By Redlinez on 11/27/04 21:58 PM (PST)

1999 Nissan Altima Sedan SE Limited 4dr Sedan

I think Nissan is definitely underrated on quite a few vehicles, this being one of them. I just bought a pearl white 99 SE-L 5 speed. Hondas do not possess the level of solidity that this car has. Wow, the transmission is geared high! I can't fairly rate the gas mileage but for a 2950 lb vehicle, how can 30mpg be bad. Very good midrange power. I'd also love to find a 91-94 low mileage Sentra SE-R, another favorite.

Thanks Dad
By Lawdogg30 on 04/14/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Nissan Altima Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan

My father gave me his 1999 Nissan Altima GXE a few days ago. It has 57650 miles on it and he has not had one problem with it. My mother owned a 1998 and I drove that all the time and i loved it. This car runs and drive GREAT! The 4 cylinder motor feels like a V6 with awesome power when you need it. The gas mileage is super as well. Thanks Dad I know I will have this car another 150,000 miles. Thanks Nissan

very reliable
By szefo on 04/09/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Nissan Altima Sedan GLE 4dr Sedan

I bought my Altima from a salvage auction. Everything was ok except for the engine. I replaced the engine from a year 2000 Altima. So far I haven't had any major issues with the car, got it at 32k miles now it has 62k. I do oil changes every 3000 miles. It runs great and has a neat pickup as for a 4 cylinder engine. I put 17" rims on it and now it handles like BMW. The radio broke when I played self recorded CDs. I guess it was not designed for those. I would recomend it to anybody who wants low maintenance and reliability. This car might not be too luxurious but it's main parts are well designed and should last many years.

Great car
By Greg F. on 02/28/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Nissan Altima Sedan GLE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car mainly because I needed reliable transportation, and I have not been disappointed. I bought it new in '99 and it now has 75,000 miles. I haven't yet had any problems with the car, other than a torn C/V boot. I've replaced the front and rear brakes once, and the tires twice. It's very peppy for a 4 cyl non-turbo engine and it has a very stable ride on any type of road. The only downsides that I've found so far is the iffy gas mileage and the excessive wind noise at highway speeds. Mostly I can barely get over 300 miles per tank with mixed city/highway driving, which is around 20 MPG. Other than that, it's been a great car.

just dependable baby
By harshad on 02/24/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Nissan Altima Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan

I bought my altima new in july 99 at a great price of 14500. It just runs good. I have replaced tires, front brake pads, and recently driver's power window switch..I just moved from CA to minnesota..it did great in sub zero temps.. hope to drive my baby for a long time to come..wish I would have bought it with 5 speed manual..though the automatic is great

A good car
By Nathan Alford on 02/05/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Nissan Altima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

I like my car a lot. It's fast enough, though I won't be winning many races. A very nice looking car on the outside, and average looking on the inside. I drove a 2002 Camry mostly though high school, and the Altima can't campete with it's roomy interior with leather. Of course the Camry has been around much longer, and is more equal to the Maxima. So if you need something bigger and better than a Sentra and you can't/won't get a Maxima, then the Altima is a very good choice.