Used 1999 Nissan Altima Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Nissan Altima - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Altima model:

Most Helpful|
Awesome car
By moon12

1999 Nissan Altima Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan

Hey looking for a great car this is the one! I bought my Altima in 2006 with 114k miles on it, and at 172k it's still running strong. Besides the minor work it's very dependable great on gas and roomy. Nissan did a great job with this one, if I could have anything else I would keep this one.

Favorite Features

The trunk is big and the A/C is cold.

Suggested Improvements

Better turning radius.

Great Car!!!
By melb29020

1999 Nissan Altima Sedan GLE 4dr Sedan

I purchased my Altima in 06 with 130,000 miles on it. It now has 181,000 miles. In May of 2008 my timing chain popped & bent my valves, it would've cost more for me to simply replace the belt & valves so I ended up getting a new motor. The timing chain breaking appears to be a common problem after 150,000 miles. If you hear any type of rattling from your motor get it checked!! Besides that, I have not had any problems with my vehicle except normal maintenance (oil changes, brakes, tires). I look forward to having this car for another 50,000 miles!!

Favorite Features

Great gas mileage, roomy & spacious

Suggested Improvements

Better speakers, timing belt instead of the chain

My Baby
By schmidy6

1999 Nissan Altima Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan

Bought the car in 2010 with 133,000 miles on it. Now at 173,000 and have only put brakes, tires, and new headlights on it. Engine and transmission are rock solid, never had an issue with either. My dear friend is getting old, however. Her rocker panel on the passenger side is almost completely eaten away, she has a rust hole in the floor board behind the passenger seat. It kills me to see my car rust out because despite the rust, she's never quit on me, and she won't hesitate to blow by someone on a two-lane or cruise comfortably at 80 on country roads. I could probably change the oil every 7,000 the way this car sips oil. Probably won't even get rid of her when I get a new car.

Favorite Features

-strong 4 cylinder -smooth, comfortable ride -30+mpg on the highway -virtually no repairs -built tough

Suggested Improvements

-rust is a big issue -other than that, none

love my Altima
By leehighgrad

1999 Nissan Altima Sedan GLE 4dr Sedan

I bought my car with about 162k miles and naw about to reach 200k and have thought about getting another car but never about getting rid of my Altima it is reliability fun to drive stylishly and it seem to have kept its value since every time I see one on a lot ist about the same price I paid for it i plane an having it for years to come

Favorite Features

All

Suggested Improvements

Timing belt

My Altima
By autotech

1999 Nissan Altima Sedan SE Limited 4dr Sedan

My 10 yr old Nissan Altima is one of the best cars that I have ever owned, and I've had quite a few over the years before I bought this. This car has been really good to me and the repairs have been very minor and only in the last couple of years...things do wear out after all. The body has held up really well too; no signs of rust and it still looks nice. If I were to replace it, that would be because I'm bored and want something new (this is the longest I've ever kept a car. I used to get a new one every 4-6 yrs).

Favorite Features

That would be the way it looks. I love the color I chose and I bought the sport package vehicle, so it has just a bit more pep than the regular version. Love my sunroof!

Suggested Improvements

outside noise from back. this has been a complaint with all Nissan vehicles and unless they have improved that over the past few years, I'd have to switch to a Honda or Toyota. But I'd ck their record on that first too, cause if they have the same problem, I'd stick with my Nissan!