Used 1999 Nissan Altima SE Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Nissan Altima - Consumer Reviews

1999 Nissan Altima Sedan

View reviews for a specific Altima model:

My best car ever...
By Richard S

1999 Nissan Altima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

I have 112,000 miles on this car I bought new. Front brakes made it safely to 75,000 backs to 100,000 OE clutch made it to 110,000 as well as the battery and alternator. That I blame on my 1000 watt aftermarket stereo. I did have to replace the power window unit at 96000. I'm scared to trade it because of how reliable it has been. It can even do light off roading when needed. It's not a truck so it does require some caution but it handles it well. Wish the new ones were closer to the same! We have an 06 too. It's really nice but not quite the same.

Favorite Features

Two tone black and white gauges, huge trunk, power that the little 2.4 puts out high ground clearance for a small-mid size car. Easy to operate moonroof.

Suggested Improvements

More comfy seats on the SE.

Great performance and efficiency
By Ryan

1999 Nissan Altima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

The car has taken a heavy beating, yet remains very reliable. Well-maintained, 31 mpg on the highway is possible, and given its performance (don't read this like it's a sports car), this is excellent. For my money, I can't find any significant drawback to the driving experience.

Perfect Used Car
By L7jr

1999 Nissan Altima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

After alot of research for my next car I decided on the Altima. I have no regrets at all. I purchased the car with 79,000 miles and now have 90,000 miles on it and have only 3 things gone wrong on the car other than brakes and oil changes. The first thing that went were my CV boots and second my throttle linkage snapped which controls the acceleration of the car. Basically, when it snapped my gas pedal did nothing and left me stranded. My mechanic told me in his 25 years of working he had never seen that happen on a car. Lastly, the alternator had to replaced but other than that the car has been perfect and I highly reccommend this car. I added a K&N filter and it makes such a difference.

Favorite Features

Power of engine, radio & A/C controls, exterior styling, visibility, RELIABILITY

Suggested Improvements

ABS should have been standard (I don't have it), MPG can be erratic sometimes (sometimes extremely frugal and other times it burns quickly), maybe a height adjustor for the driver seat but that is just nitpicking

Excellent car - great quality
By dsinnreich

1999 Nissan Altima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

I bought my 1999 Nissan Altima SE brand new in 1998. It is now over 6 years later and I have never had any problems with this car. It is incredibly well engineered and very well built. It zips around quite nimbly around the city and drives very solid on the highway. In the 6 years I have owned it I've replaced the brake pads and tires once each. Oh and a turn signal burned out at one point. When I got married we had to choose 1 car since we live in the city and only own 1 parking space - we sold her Audi A4 and kept the Altima since we knew we would have much fewer problems with Altima. Great job Nissan. This car is so good we're now buying another Nissan.

Favorite Features

The spoiler on the back makes the car look very sporty. The white-on-white analog dials for speed & tach look very classic. The alloy wheels make the wheels look bigger, giving it a solid, racy look. Fuel economy is good for as fast as I drive. The fog lights look great.

Suggested Improvements

To be able to pop the trunk from the key fob.

A good car
By Nathan Alford

1999 Nissan Altima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

I like my car a lot. It's fast enough, though I won't be winning many races. A very nice looking car on the outside, and average looking on the inside. I drove a 2002 Camry mostly though high school, and the Altima can't campete with it's roomy interior with leather. Of course the Camry has been around much longer, and is more equal to the Maxima. So if you need something bigger and better than a Sentra and you can't/won't get a Maxima, then the Altima is a very good choice.

Favorite Features

My favorite feature is the handling. The ride is fairly smooth. It turns very well and responds very quicky to moving the steering wheel. The car looks very good from behind and in front.

Suggested Improvements

Definately the main thing I dislike about the Altima is the fuel economy. With a 21/28, it has poor gas mileage for a 4-cylinder engine.It is my belief that the gear size is to blame (too short).