Used 1999 Nissan Altima GXE Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Nissan Altima - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Altima model:

Best car I have ever owned
By josh83

1999 Nissan Altima GXE 4dr Sedan

I bought my Altima new in 1999, and it now has 240,000 miles. Cranks first time every time, engine still strong, transmission still shifts smoothly. I still love my Altima!

My Baby
By schmidy6

1999 Nissan Altima GXE 4dr Sedan

Bought the car in 2010 with 133,000 miles on it. Now at 173,000 and have only put brakes, tires, and new headlights on it. Engine and transmission are rock solid, never had an issue with either. My dear friend is getting old, however. Her rocker panel on the passenger side is almost completely eaten away, she has a rust hole in the floor board behind the passenger seat. It kills me to see my car rust out because despite the rust, she's never quit on me, and she won't hesitate to blow by someone on a two-lane or cruise comfortably at 80 on country roads. I could probably change the oil every 7,000 the way this car sips oil. Probably won't even get rid of her when I get a new car.

-strong 4 cylinder -smooth, comfortable ride -30+mpg on the highway -virtually no repairs -built tough

-rust is a big issue -other than that, none

Great Car
By carfun1

1999 Nissan Altima GXE 4dr Sedan

I bought mine with 50,000 miles on it. It is now turning 200,000 miles on it. I had to put in a rebuilt trans at 178,000 miles and new tie rods at 180,000. As far as things need to be done it seems that it doe's not start till after 112,000 miles. At least every 10,000 miles added to the car is when things need to be done, I mean things that should get done i.e. shocks, starter, front-end. My mechanic said it will last another 100,000 as long as I do my oil changes and small routine maintenance. Funny thing is when I first bought the car I was getting 27 to the highway now I am getting 31 hwy and 26 to the city. Go figure.

Cruise control, and easy to change headlights bulbs.

None

A True Work Horse
By Rick

1999 Nissan Altima GXE 4dr Sedan

I've had this car for 6 years. Purchased used with 55K miles, it now has 176K miles. It has been extremely reliable. Aside from changing normal wear and near parts, I've had no extremely expensive repairs done on it. I plan on buying a new engine for it when the current one finally gives up on me.

Strong responsive 4cyl 2.4L engine. Sway bars on it gives it great handling. Soft absorbent suspension. Good room for 5 adults plus large trunk for cargo.

You must upgrade the car's stereo/radio and stock speakers. Seat fabric is sensitive to cleaning solutions, and water. Front seats too low and unsupportive back rest.

Would buy one again
By Lomagirl

1999 Nissan Altima GXE 4dr Sedan

I'd take this car refurbished over a new one. 5-speed manual shifts okay (except balky in 1st), plenty of spunk. Okay w/ routine maintenance but last 5 years had to replace alternator (w/ core charge refund it wasn't much), belt tensioner, and radiator (less than $100, home installation). Have had suspension work done. Factory tires were weak link. Trunk space is good and very comfortable positioning for short driver (I'm 5'2"). Now at over 150,000 miles starting to show it's age but I still love this car.

Trunk space, responsive shifting, reliability.

Sound system, better qualify finishes - tachometer needle fell off, passenger- side mirror detached and had to be removed, driver's side visor snapped off at the hinge pin.