1999 Nissan Altima - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Altima model:
Best car I have ever owned
By josh83 on 05/04/13 13:53 PM (PDT)

1999 Nissan Altima GXE 4dr Sedan

I bought my Altima new in 1999, and it now has 240,000 miles. Cranks first time every time, engine still strong, transmission still shifts smoothly. I still love my Altima!

My Baby
By schmidy6 on 02/17/13 18:08 PM (PST)

1999 Nissan Altima GXE 4dr Sedan

Bought the car in 2010 with 133,000 miles on it. Now at 173,000 and have only put brakes, tires, and new headlights on it. Engine and transmission are rock solid, never had an issue with either. My dear friend is getting old, however. Her rocker panel on the passenger side is almost completely eaten away, she has a rust hole in the floor board behind the passenger seat. It kills me to see my car rust out because despite the rust, she's never quit on me, and she won't hesitate to blow by someone on a two-lane or cruise comfortably at 80 on country roads. I could probably change the oil every 7,000 the way this car sips oil. Probably won't even get rid of her when I get a new car.

Great Car
By carfun1 on 11/16/11 13:34 PM (PST)

1999 Nissan Altima GXE 4dr Sedan

I bought mine with 50,000 miles on it. It is now turning 200,000 miles on it. I had to put in a rebuilt trans at 178,000 miles and new tie rods at 180,000. As far as things need to be done it seems that it doe's not start till after 112,000 miles. At least every 10,000 miles added to the car is when things need to be done, I mean things that should get done i.e. shocks, starter, front-end. My mechanic said it will last another 100,000 as long as I do my oil changes and small routine maintenance. Funny thing is when I first bought the car I was getting 27 to the highway now I am getting 31 hwy and 26 to the city. Go figure.

A True Work Horse
By Rick on 11/22/10 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Nissan Altima GXE 4dr Sedan

I've had this car for 6 years. Purchased used with 55K miles, it now has 176K miles. It has been extremely reliable. Aside from changing normal wear and near parts, I've had no extremely expensive repairs done on it. I plan on buying a new engine for it when the current one finally gives up on me.

Would buy one again
By Lomagirl on 05/28/10 07:42 AM (PDT)

1999 Nissan Altima GXE 4dr Sedan

I'd take this car refurbished over a new one. 5-speed manual shifts okay (except balky in 1st), plenty of spunk. Okay w/ routine maintenance but last 5 years had to replace alternator (w/ core charge refund it wasn't much), belt tensioner, and radiator (less than $100, home installation). Have had suspension work done. Factory tires were weak link. Trunk space is good and very comfortable positioning for short driver (I'm 5'2"). Now at over 150,000 miles starting to show it's age but I still love this car.

This is a great car!
By yayaltima on 03/23/10 18:40 PM (PDT)

1999 Nissan Altima GXE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car 8 years ago, used with about 50,000 miles on it. It is now at 168,000 miles and I would drive it across the U.S. tomorrow! To be honest, I have driven the heck out of it. It cranks right up everyday except one time when the battery was dead. I have had to replace the CV joints and the driver's side tie rod. The only regular maintenance I have done on it is oil changes, air filters, fuel filter, and breaks. I love this car and would but another one in a heartbeat!

Excellent car - even at 11 years old!
By McCallister on 01/20/10 18:38 PM (PST)

1999 Nissan Altima GXE 4dr Sedan

I have a 1999 GXE 5 speed manual. It's currently at 97,500 miles. It's been extremely reliable. I'm meticulous about maintenance and appearance. Outside of one CV joint and speakers, no other repairs. Just regular maintenance expenses like oil/ manual tranny fluid/coolant/brake pad changes, etc. I replaced the struts and springs at 92,000 which helped to restore the car's ride quality to "like new". Fuel economy is 23 mpg around town and 28 mpg highway with a/c on. With cruise control at 60-65 mph on long highway trips without A/C I've gotten as high as 32-33 mpg. I can put at least another 100K miles on this car and plan on giving it to my son in 2 years. Great car!

Reliability at its best
By SDC on 03/03/09 08:41 AM (PST)

1999 Nissan Altima GXE 4dr Sedan

This has been a great car at currently 130,000 miles. It has excellent power for a 4 cylinder. My only problem was the alternator needed replaced twice. No big issue and overall inexpensive to maintain. From what I have been hearing about newer cars and $$$ repairs, I cannot complain. Handles great on the highway. I made several 1,000 mile trips with no problems. For anyone that needs an inexpensive used car to get around in this economy, I would highly recommend this one. Because of the reliability, I am not even tempted to buy a new car yet.

Awesome car
By moon12 on 02/11/09 19:12 PM (PST)

1999 Nissan Altima GXE 4dr Sedan

Hey looking for a great car this is the one! I bought my Altima in 2006 with 114k miles on it, and at 172k it's still running strong. Besides the minor work it's very dependable great on gas and roomy. Nissan did a great job with this one, if I could have anything else I would keep this one.

Great, GREAT automobile.
By Joev on 11/10/08 03:39 AM (PST)

1999 Nissan Altima GXE 4dr Sedan

Have this vehicle 8 years, have never been back to dealer for anything. Oil changes, tire replacement, fan belt and brakes have been replaced. That's it. Fuel economy 25+ on the road and about 20 in town. Thinking of selling but afraid what I get to replace it won't be as dependable. Overall in my opinion the Altima is the best value dollar for dollar among any car on the market today or ever.