1999 Nissan Altima - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Altima model:
love my Altima
By leehighgrad on 02/27/14 20:07 PM (PST)

1999 Nissan Altima GLE 4dr Sedan

I bought my car with about 162k miles and naw about to reach 200k and have thought about getting another car but never about getting rid of my Altima it is reliability fun to drive stylishly and it seem to have kept its value since every time I see one on a lot ist about the same price I paid for it i plane an having it for years to come

Excellent car
By adeelb06 on 08/17/12 16:12 PM (PDT)

1999 Nissan Altima GLE 4dr Sedan

I actually drive an SE with a Auto trans. I got the car at 202000 Km. I used it for 4 years and now it has 310000 km on it. Until 280000 this car was running great. Only got regular repairs like brakes and etc. I didn't change the battery or did an alignment or a tune up and this baby runs awesome. 5/5 for both Engine and transmission. The body tends to rust out but who can complain past 250,000 km. All in all, this is the car if you're a new buyer and need something a bit comfy and still reliable. Comfort level is extraordinary for cars in its class and age.

223K Miles and Still Going
By altimatelover on 03/27/12 23:00 PM (PDT)

1999 Nissan Altima GLE 4dr Sedan

I have 223K miles and still going. I love this car. I bought it at 12K miles in 2001. It's had very few problems. The only time I had a serious problem was the alternator went at around 170K. The interior plastic is rather cheap though and my visor attachments had problems. Pretty minor stuff. My husband believes in maintenance so we've changed out parts such as tie rods, spark plugs, radiator (was leaking), CV boot and brakes. Very little maintenance in 11 years. 4 hours in mechanic shop is longest time (alternator). Paint fading, 1 leather seat cracked. At this point the shocks could use replacement, but, even the shocks are better than most cars. 26-29 MPG. Love the Altima!

Great Car!!!
By melb29020 on 12/12/10 00:28 AM (PST)

1999 Nissan Altima GLE 4dr Sedan

I purchased my Altima in 06 with 130,000 miles on it. It now has 181,000 miles. In May of 2008 my timing chain popped & bent my valves, it would've cost more for me to simply replace the belt & valves so I ended up getting a new motor. The timing chain breaking appears to be a common problem after 150,000 miles. If you hear any type of rattling from your motor get it checked!! Besides that, I have not had any problems with my vehicle except normal maintenance (oil changes, brakes, tires). I look forward to having this car for another 50,000 miles!!

Better than honda and toyota
By billy frazier on 07/25/08 15:34 PM (PDT)

1999 Nissan Altima GLE 4dr Sedan

I bought my altima with 88000 miles on it after owning a Toyota and 2 hondas, have to say both are way overrated,my Altima has been the most dependable car I've ever had, and let me say "some rockin a/c", blows 38 degrees in Florida-ice cold, and the car is so easy to maintain for the do it yourselfer, have not had a single problem yet, now 140,000 miles and going strong

Reliable Car
By scaito on 02/26/07 18:12 PM (PST)

1999 Nissan Altima GLE 4dr Sedan

This has been a very reliable car. I have had this car for almost three years and only had to change the oil every three thousand miles. I've never had any problems with it.

I love this car!
By latino224 on 03/02/06 22:28 PM (PST)

1999 Nissan Altima GLE 4dr Sedan

I have driven this car to Houston Texas 2 times and gone to Florida 3 times, and i went to South Carolina 2 times. each time pulling a U-Haul trailer "the small one of course"

recommended
By elizabeth ochoa on 12/07/05 20:34 PM (PST)

1999 Nissan Altima GLE 4dr Sedan

I still have the car. It's been a great experience and plan to change it for another Nissan car. Very reliable.

My Nissy
By Craig Stroud on 07/20/05 15:13 PM (PDT)

1999 Nissan Altima GLE 4dr Sedan

I used to have a serious dislike of altima's. I portayed them as a female's car. Well, my mom owned a 98 Altima that I drove sometime and fell inlove with it. I had to get my own. So I bought a 99" GLE. The interior is so comfortable, and the handling is awesome. I upgraded the tires to 205's and man, she takes a 30 mph curve at 70 with easy. Needless to say, no matter how many other cars I buy.....I'm keeping her til the last panel falls off.

very reliable
By szefo on 04/09/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Nissan Altima GLE 4dr Sedan

I bought my Altima from a salvage auction. Everything was ok except for the engine. I replaced the engine from a year 2000 Altima. So far I haven't had any major issues with the car, got it at 32k miles now it has 62k. I do oil changes every 3000 miles. It runs great and has a neat pickup as for a 4 cylinder engine. I put 17" rims on it and now it handles like BMW. The radio broke when I played self recorded CDs. I guess it was not designed for those. I would recomend it to anybody who wants low maintenance and reliability. This car might not be too luxurious but it's main parts are well designed and should last many years.