Used 1999 Nissan Altima Consumer Reviews - 89 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Nissan Altima - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Altima model:

16 Years of Dependability
By Eric

1999 Nissan Altima SE 4dr Sedan

I got this car new in December of 1999 with the help of my parents and just now finally letting go. Day in and day out this car has been there for me, even after 2 accidents (Rear ended in 2001, front driver side wheel well smashed in 2009). I cannot recommend this car enough. I'm trading it in with 206k miles on it.

Outside of my gushing love and nostalgia, I do have several minor gripes that I just got accustomed to over the years:
- The acceleration is fantastic in 1st and 2nd, but not so much in 3rd and 4th
- Interior overhead cloth came loose where the roof and rear windshield meet around 130k. Has never came completely undone or had more than 2 inches loose.
- A/C compressor died somewhere around 150k miles. Never bothered to fix it.
- Sun damage got the best of the leather interior, specifically the driver seat, which now has a miniature rendition of the Grand Canyon in it.
- Rack and pinion started leaking at 180k at miles.
- On days that were about 50 degrees or lower, transmission would struggle shifting from 3rd to 4th, but would eventually get corrected after about 5 minutes on the road.
- Weird spurts of feedback occasionally (like 4 times a week) coming through the speakers at 190k.

The only time the Altima ever died on me, outside of batteries or the alternator, was when I was young and dumb. Never checked the fluid levels and let the coolant drop super low, blowing a head gasket. That was somewhere around 80k.

love my Altima
By leehighgrad

1999 Nissan Altima GLE 4dr Sedan

I bought my car with about 162k miles and naw about to reach 200k and have thought about getting another car but never about getting rid of my Altima it is reliability fun to drive stylishly and it seem to have kept its value since every time I see one on a lot ist about the same price I paid for it i plane an having it for years to come

All

Timing belt

Best car I have ever owned
By josh83

1999 Nissan Altima GXE 4dr Sedan

I bought my Altima new in 1999, and it now has 240,000 miles. Cranks first time every time, engine still strong, transmission still shifts smoothly. I still love my Altima!

My Baby
By schmidy6

1999 Nissan Altima GXE 4dr Sedan

Bought the car in 2010 with 133,000 miles on it. Now at 173,000 and have only put brakes, tires, and new headlights on it. Engine and transmission are rock solid, never had an issue with either. My dear friend is getting old, however. Her rocker panel on the passenger side is almost completely eaten away, she has a rust hole in the floor board behind the passenger seat. It kills me to see my car rust out because despite the rust, she's never quit on me, and she won't hesitate to blow by someone on a two-lane or cruise comfortably at 80 on country roads. I could probably change the oil every 7,000 the way this car sips oil. Probably won't even get rid of her when I get a new car.

-strong 4 cylinder -smooth, comfortable ride -30+mpg on the highway -virtually no repairs -built tough

-rust is a big issue -other than that, none

Excellent car
By adeelb06

1999 Nissan Altima GLE 4dr Sedan

I actually drive an SE with a Auto trans. I got the car at 202000 Km. I used it for 4 years and now it has 310000 km on it. Until 280000 this car was running great. Only got regular repairs like brakes and etc. I didn't change the battery or did an alignment or a tune up and this baby runs awesome.
5/5 for both Engine and transmission. The body tends to rust out but who can complain past 250,000 km. All in all, this is the car if you're a new buyer and need something a bit comfy and still reliable.
Comfort level is extraordinary for cars in its class and age.

Reliability in terms of engine and transmission

Tire rods and shocks could use some re engineering.