1999 Nissan Altima - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Altima model:
love my Altima
By leehighgrad on 02/27/14 20:07 PM (PST)

1999 Nissan Altima GLE 4dr Sedan

I bought my car with about 162k miles and naw about to reach 200k and have thought about getting another car but never about getting rid of my Altima it is reliability fun to drive stylishly and it seem to have kept its value since every time I see one on a lot ist about the same price I paid for it i plane an having it for years to come

Best car I have ever owned
By josh83 on 05/04/13 13:53 PM (PDT)

1999 Nissan Altima GXE 4dr Sedan

I bought my Altima new in 1999, and it now has 240,000 miles. Cranks first time every time, engine still strong, transmission still shifts smoothly. I still love my Altima!

My Baby
By schmidy6 on 02/17/13 18:08 PM (PST)

1999 Nissan Altima GXE 4dr Sedan

Bought the car in 2010 with 133,000 miles on it. Now at 173,000 and have only put brakes, tires, and new headlights on it. Engine and transmission are rock solid, never had an issue with either. My dear friend is getting old, however. Her rocker panel on the passenger side is almost completely eaten away, she has a rust hole in the floor board behind the passenger seat. It kills me to see my car rust out because despite the rust, she's never quit on me, and she won't hesitate to blow by someone on a two-lane or cruise comfortably at 80 on country roads. I could probably change the oil every 7,000 the way this car sips oil. Probably won't even get rid of her when I get a new car.

Excellent car
By adeelb06 on 08/17/12 16:12 PM (PDT)

1999 Nissan Altima GLE 4dr Sedan

I actually drive an SE with a Auto trans. I got the car at 202000 Km. I used it for 4 years and now it has 310000 km on it. Until 280000 this car was running great. Only got regular repairs like brakes and etc. I didn't change the battery or did an alignment or a tune up and this baby runs awesome. 5/5 for both Engine and transmission. The body tends to rust out but who can complain past 250,000 km. All in all, this is the car if you're a new buyer and need something a bit comfy and still reliable. Comfort level is extraordinary for cars in its class and age.

223K Miles and Still Going
By altimatelover on 03/27/12 23:00 PM (PDT)

1999 Nissan Altima GLE 4dr Sedan

I have 223K miles and still going. I love this car. I bought it at 12K miles in 2001. It's had very few problems. The only time I had a serious problem was the alternator went at around 170K. The interior plastic is rather cheap though and my visor attachments had problems. Pretty minor stuff. My husband believes in maintenance so we've changed out parts such as tie rods, spark plugs, radiator (was leaking), CV boot and brakes. Very little maintenance in 11 years. 4 hours in mechanic shop is longest time (alternator). Paint fading, 1 leather seat cracked. At this point the shocks could use replacement, but, even the shocks are better than most cars. 26-29 MPG. Love the Altima!

Great Car
By carfun1 on 11/16/11 13:34 PM (PST)

1999 Nissan Altima GXE 4dr Sedan

I bought mine with 50,000 miles on it. It is now turning 200,000 miles on it. I had to put in a rebuilt trans at 178,000 miles and new tie rods at 180,000. As far as things need to be done it seems that it doe's not start till after 112,000 miles. At least every 10,000 miles added to the car is when things need to be done, I mean things that should get done i.e. shocks, starter, front-end. My mechanic said it will last another 100,000 as long as I do my oil changes and small routine maintenance. Funny thing is when I first bought the car I was getting 27 to the highway now I am getting 31 hwy and 26 to the city. Go figure.

Great Car!!!
By melb29020 on 12/12/10 00:28 AM (PST)

1999 Nissan Altima GLE 4dr Sedan

I purchased my Altima in 06 with 130,000 miles on it. It now has 181,000 miles. In May of 2008 my timing chain popped & bent my valves, it would've cost more for me to simply replace the belt & valves so I ended up getting a new motor. The timing chain breaking appears to be a common problem after 150,000 miles. If you hear any type of rattling from your motor get it checked!! Besides that, I have not had any problems with my vehicle except normal maintenance (oil changes, brakes, tires). I look forward to having this car for another 50,000 miles!!

A True Work Horse
By Rick on 11/22/10 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Nissan Altima GXE 4dr Sedan

I've had this car for 6 years. Purchased used with 55K miles, it now has 176K miles. It has been extremely reliable. Aside from changing normal wear and near parts, I've had no extremely expensive repairs done on it. I plan on buying a new engine for it when the current one finally gives up on me.

Would buy one again
By Lomagirl on 05/28/10 07:42 AM (PDT)

1999 Nissan Altima GXE 4dr Sedan

I'd take this car refurbished over a new one. 5-speed manual shifts okay (except balky in 1st), plenty of spunk. Okay w/ routine maintenance but last 5 years had to replace alternator (w/ core charge refund it wasn't much), belt tensioner, and radiator (less than $100, home installation). Have had suspension work done. Factory tires were weak link. Trunk space is good and very comfortable positioning for short driver (I'm 5'2"). Now at over 150,000 miles starting to show it's age but I still love this car.

This is a great car!
By yayaltima on 03/23/10 18:40 PM (PDT)

1999 Nissan Altima GXE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car 8 years ago, used with about 50,000 miles on it. It is now at 168,000 miles and I would drive it across the U.S. tomorrow! To be honest, I have driven the heck out of it. It cranks right up everyday except one time when the battery was dead. I have had to replace the CV joints and the driver's side tie rod. The only regular maintenance I have done on it is oil changes, air filters, fuel filter, and breaks. I love this car and would but another one in a heartbeat!