Used 1999 Nissan Altima Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Nissan Altima - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Altima model:

love my Altima
By leehighgrad

1999 Nissan Altima GLE 4dr Sedan

I bought my car with about 162k miles and naw about to reach 200k and have thought about getting another car but never about getting rid of my Altima it is reliability fun to drive stylishly and it seem to have kept its value since every time I see one on a lot ist about the same price I paid for it i plane an having it for years to come

All

Timing belt

Best car I have ever owned
By josh83

1999 Nissan Altima GXE 4dr Sedan

I bought my Altima new in 1999, and it now has 240,000 miles. Cranks first time every time, engine still strong, transmission still shifts smoothly. I still love my Altima!

My Baby
By schmidy6

1999 Nissan Altima GXE 4dr Sedan

Bought the car in 2010 with 133,000 miles on it. Now at 173,000 and have only put brakes, tires, and new headlights on it. Engine and transmission are rock solid, never had an issue with either. My dear friend is getting old, however. Her rocker panel on the passenger side is almost completely eaten away, she has a rust hole in the floor board behind the passenger seat. It kills me to see my car rust out because despite the rust, she's never quit on me, and she won't hesitate to blow by someone on a two-lane or cruise comfortably at 80 on country roads. I could probably change the oil every 7,000 the way this car sips oil. Probably won't even get rid of her when I get a new car.

-strong 4 cylinder -smooth, comfortable ride -30+mpg on the highway -virtually no repairs -built tough

-rust is a big issue -other than that, none

Excellent car
By adeelb06

1999 Nissan Altima GLE 4dr Sedan

I actually drive an SE with a Auto trans. I got the car at 202000 Km. I used it for 4 years and now it has 310000 km on it. Until 280000 this car was running great. Only got regular repairs like brakes and etc. I didn't change the battery or did an alignment or a tune up and this baby runs awesome. 5/5 for both Engine and transmission. The body tends to rust out but who can complain past 250,000 km. All in all, this is the car if you're a new buyer and need something a bit comfy and still reliable. Comfort level is extraordinary for cars in its class and age.

Reliability in terms of engine and transmission

Tire rods and shocks could use some re engineering.

223K Miles and Still Going
By altimatelover

1999 Nissan Altima GLE 4dr Sedan

I have 223K miles and still going. I love this car. I bought it at 12K miles in 2001. It's had very few problems. The only time I had a serious problem was the alternator went at around 170K. The interior plastic is rather cheap though and my visor attachments had problems. Pretty minor stuff. My husband believes in maintenance so we've changed out parts such as tie rods, spark plugs, radiator (was leaking), CV boot and brakes. Very little maintenance in 11 years. 4 hours in mechanic shop is longest time (alternator). Paint fading, 1 leather seat cracked. At this point the shocks could use replacement, but, even the shocks are better than most cars. 26-29 MPG. Love the Altima!

It's the energizer bunny of cars--it just keeps going. Plus it's really comfortable. I'm short and i fit so well into this car. Perfect steering wheel to pedal distance.

Improve the visor attachment--2 altimas, 4 visors--all broke before 30K miles. The interior plastic should have a little more longevity. The driver seat leather cracked. Paint is faded. It all happened at once too. I have an SE Automatic, but it doesn't give that option for the 99 Nissan Altima