Our Marshmallow Car
By MITZI on
1998 Nissan Altima GLE 4dr Sedan
My grandkids call this the marshmallow car, because it's white & looks like a big marshmallow. I've replaced the CV joints on it and that's about it. I have fun driving my car, it has got me out of some scary jams on the freeway. It accelerates rapidly & is easy to speed in. I got my last ticket in it about 3 years ago going over 100 mph as I had neglected to set the cruise control. I hadn't even noticed. I have 128,000 miles on it & almost feel like it's a pet. I've never been one to attach to material objects but this one has inspired emotional attachment. I'll keep it until it's ready for the scrap heap. I'll never trade it off. I willing to paint it or whatever, it's a keeper.
Favorite Features
Peppiness, fun to drive. DEPENDABILITY! Remarkably dependable under the hood. Steering. Wood grain console. 4 cyl engine has remarkable power. Mileage acceptable for my use. Handles well in heavy snow. It's 10 years old & the heater, air conditioner & rear window defrost still work. Heater is hot.
Suggested Improvements
Body integrity seems a little flimsy, especially in the trunk. Visor mount broke,radio button came off & drivers window contact stubborn. Road noise. Radio control knob stripped. Right front speaker busted.So the problem with this car is body & trim integrity.
By mitzi5
on 04/12/11 23:17 PM (PDT)

It's been about 2 1/2 years since I left this comment so this is an update. The car is still running great without any major problems. The tinting is bubbling and there's little rust spots coming up on it here and there and the battery cables need replaced. I'm still not going to trade it off though but I am buying another car. This car is staying in the family though. I'm giving it to my son who delivers pizza!(to finish it off). He's very excited and he knows he has to keep the oil changed. The boots on the cv joints we replaced about 6 years ago are starting to crack again so he knows he'll have to replace those again and get new battery cables but other than that, this dependable little darling is officially now a family heirloom. I can still take it out of town and it runs on the highway just as well as ever. The performance of this car has always impressed me. It's going to be hard to get used to a new car but if I ever want to buy an older used car for one of my family members this is the vehicle I will buy. Oh yeah, the volume control knob on the radio is stripped and the roof lining is starting to come unglued over the rear window.