Used 1998 Nissan Altima Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Nissan Altima - Consumer Reviews

1998 Nissan Altima Sedan

View reviews for a specific Altima model:

Most Helpful|
great car, sporty too
By dynatmrider

1998 Nissan Altima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

iv had this car since may of 98 when they came out. this car is great. its an SE with leather, cd, abs, manual, sport suspension (stiffer ride) and power drivers seat. seats are comfortable and the back seats are those of a bmw. i have 120,000 miles on the car and have not done anything to it. over six years on the original battery and still going! once this thing is in 5th gear you can go from 60 to 100 in a blink! fast car! buy it!

Favorite Features

leather, 5 speed, gas milage, trunk size, reliability!

Suggested Improvements

front end could use spicing up, better factory rims. basically nothing. great car.

My best car ever!
By Daddyniowa

1998 Nissan Altima Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car with 58,000 miles on it and it is a five speed manual transmission. I only opened up the exhaust and installed a Tornado fuelsaver (for whatever thats worth). I burn Mobile one full synthetic oil in it changed at every 8,000 miles. For some time now I use the car 100 miles five days a week to commute my non-driving wife to work. I have done "nothing" to the car basically except put gas in it. Gets anywhere from 31 to 34 mpg on highway, and shifts out of third gear at 103 mph! Uses one half a quart of synthetic oil every 8,000 miles. If you see a white 1998 Nissan Altima in northern Mo. to Southern Iowa screaming down I-35 highway, that would be me!

Favorite Features

I'm almost fifty two years old, and have owned a lot of fast mostly import cars, and this would be one of them. Sure it has some road noises and squeaks, but they are hardly noticeable to me over the sound of the tires turning over. I have driven all of my cars hard and this one more than delivers.

Suggested Improvements

Better seals around windows,also to dampen road noise and interior squeeks. But the engine absolutely "rocks" and is bulletproof! I have 143,000 miles on it to date and it drives like a new car and still screams!

Good Trooper
By northwest

1998 Nissan Altima Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan

Given as a gift after graduation, 65000 miles. Thanks aunty, some parts were modified for more power and sound, in turn most stock problems never happened. Runs like a champ with mobile 1 syn every 4000miles. Ngk sparkys & wires. I still get 22-25 city, 37+ highway. No prob w/engine yet. I have good mechanics:). 144300 miles strong.

Favorite Features

After modification. I peel out at 2k rpm dead stop up hill by accident, yokohamas aren't cheap. Torque is fierce. It is a bit louder than most, but still a sleeper.

Suggested Improvements

Weather stripping along the doors, too much wind noise past 60+ mph and door and rear speakers all blown :( no lumbar support.

OK, but could be better
By EJS

1998 Nissan Altima Sedan GLE 4dr Sedan

Bought with 28K miles from the dealer in nice condition. It now has just over 100k miles and I would say it's been OK. I replaced both axles at around 80K miles. I do not tear around in this car, but it eats engine mounts; I have replaced the rear engine mount 3 times so far. This car is noisy on the freeway and fuel economy has never been over 30mpg. Drivers window switch failed at 85K and this requires a fair bit of digging into the driver's door to replace a $200 part. CD player has twice died; first time the dealer replaced it ans second time I found a cold solder joint on the display connector. Lifters have been noisy at startup since we bought the car. I think Honda is better

Favorite Features

Reliable. OK, so it's needed more maintenance than it should but it has never let us down.

Suggested Improvements

Vibration from engine/belts is annoying

Good old Reliable.
By mitchell19

1998 Nissan Altima Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan

Bought a 1998 Nissan Altima brand new off the dealer lot in cerritos with only 5 miles. I loved everything about it, the interior, the way it drove, and not to mention its reliability. It never once broke down on me....ever. I loved its reliability so much, I wish I could buy another one. I was sooo sad the day I totaled it at 148,000 miles. Me and my family drove it everywhere from San Francisco to Minnesota to Las Vegas and back, it was also a great commuter car for getting to and from work. I now drive a 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe, only time will tell just as to how reliable it is.

Favorite Features

The outside could be more exciting.

Suggested Improvements

gas mileage.