Used 1998 Nissan Altima Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Nissan Altima Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Altima model:

nice car but a few rattles
By don scott

1998 Nissan Altima Sedan GLE 4dr Sedan

THE CAR IS STILL A NICE ONE, BUT ITS HARD TO FUEL FILL, AND THE FROND WINDOWS MAKE FAR TOO MUCH NOISE

BETTER FRONT DOOR GLASS SEAL

Engines that fall apart
By Cash

1998 Nissan Altima Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car in 2001,when the car was just three years old. It ran great for the ppast two and a half years. There were no major problems with the vehicle. About a week ago I found out that my engine basically came apart. There was plenty of oil in the car and the car was well maintained because I have a mechanic in the family who has been working on cars for the past twenty years. He fixes government vehicles for a living. The car was bought a Nissan dealership and was supposed to be a certified used vehicle.This may have just been bad luck but I advise you to be very careful when purchasing this vehicle.

Better Quality Engines!!!

Simple, enjoyable sports sedan
By clarka100

1998 Nissan Altima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

Bought the car used with around 50K miles and have beed driving it hard ever since. It takes it all and keeps moving. Im a salesman and spend hours in my car, and this Altima is a lot of fun and very comfortable to be in. I love the sunroof, the leather seats are always appreciated and I havent had any work done to the car yet except new tires and oil changes. Sound system is great for factory, and visual view through the windshield is second to none. Have no complaints with this car except the rear end which is kinda boring. Ohh, and as with any car, more horsepower is great.

comfort, RELIABILITY, space, ease of use, ease of reach for anything, fuel usage.

They dont make this same designs anymore so who really cares.

still miss this car
By mrwill808

1998 Nissan Altima Sedan GLE 4dr Sedan

I leased this car in April '98 it was a loaded GLE, as a graduation gift. Since then until late Oct. '01, this was 1 of the most reliable cars ever. Everyone I knew loved my car, some even drove it. Small troubles in '99 w/ a bad battery at 22K and later around 29K the cd/cass. unit went bad. Also had 2 accidents in Spring & Winter '00, despite those the car still drove like new. I was on top of maintenance & cleaning like crazy and had compliments that it looked and ran like new. Got rid of it in late '01 since the lease was up.

luxury-car feel for a fraction of the cost, stereo sounded alomst like bose, quite fast for a 4 cyl, very quiet

ABS and 4-wheel disc brakes should've been std. on GXE & GLE, paint quality needs to improve, better quality leather, auto climate control on GLE, 4- cyl was good but could've been faster

5 years before 1st trip to the shop
By happymister

1998 Nissan Altima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

5 years after buying my 98 Altima SE, I finally took it to the shop when the check engine light came on. Looks like i needed a new evap emission control valve for $166 including parts and labor. Since it has been 5 years and this is the first problem with the car.. i thought it was the right time to write a review. The car has been the most reliable car i have ever owned. The only other things i have replaced on this car are the tires around 40k miles. I put 4 Goodyear Acqutread 3 tires and handling continues to be excellent.

If u have a sun roof like i do.. make sure u add a sun roof deflector.. reduces road noise by more than 50% on highway speeds with the sunroof open.