1998 Nissan Altima - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Altima model:
Great Car!
By jimo2000 on 05/16/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Nissan Altima GXE 4dr Sedan

Handling is excellent.Im happy with the cornering even though I have cheap dealer installed tires. I don't know why people were so upset with this redesign in '98. I like the looks of my car, inside and out.I cant wait to get good tires for this car.

Rock Solid and Reliable, but Boring
By bills01se on 04/29/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Nissan Altima SE 4dr Sedan

I recently sold my 98 Altima SE after driving it for 65,000 miles. I am happy to report ZERO mechanical problems. The only maintenance I paid for was front brakes and 4 tires at 50,000 miles. The car was economical, peppy, and most important, reliable. I would highly recommend it for a student or 1st time car buyer. The value is there. The only problems were wind noise, and some minor build quality issues in the cabin. Yes, it is rather boring, but that's exactly what some people need.

Great Car / Accord killer
By DrFast on 04/17/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Nissan Altima SE 4dr Sedan

I Love this car. It is April 02 and we have 64000 miles. We have not ahd to do a thing to this car. We change the oil and fill the tank and that's it. The only complaint is the use of Firestone tires that didn't last 40000 miles. This car is much more powerfull than other comparable 4 cylinder cars in it's category (VW Jetta 105 HP; Altima 150). It also has more room than the accord in the back seat (also costs alot less). We researched our first new car purchasse for a year before buying this car. After we bought this car I have had 5 friends/family buy a new nissan. Great cars!!

Good Car
By xs6dfg0 on 04/12/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Nissan Altima GXE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car in March of 2002 with 60,000 miles on it and so far it has been perfect. I don't expect to have any problems with it as this is my third Altima. This is a solid and reliable vehicle and you just can't beat the value. They have lousy resale value because Nissan saturated the market with them, but this is a good thing when you're picking one up used. I have the 5-speed manual and I don't like it very much, the shifter feel is too vague and slushy. My wife has a 2000 Altima SE with a really good automatic transmission and that seems to be a much better option in this automobile.

solid and practical car
By alr1ck on 03/28/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Nissan Altima GXE 4dr Sedan

I'm a first time car buyer and after some research (thanks edmunds!) I purchased the 98 nissan altima used with only 27K miles. It's been 7 months and so far no unexpected problems. the car is solid handeling, very fuel efficient, and overall fun to drive. for a car that was used, many of my friends thought it was brand new (it runs that good).

A man's best friend
By guilbos on 02/28/02 14:50 PM (PST)

1998 Nissan Altima GXE 4dr Sedan

Pros: Had it fo a year. No repairs. Good fuel economy. Reliable, good performance, no bad surprise. A car you can count on. Cons: Front seats lack back support, 5-speed manual gearshift could be more precise.

It's a darn good car
By elray on 02/26/02 16:14 PM (PST)

1998 Nissan Altima SE 4dr Sedan

I recommend the 5-speed. I hear the automatic transmission performance stinks. It's an exceptionally smooth manual tranny.