Used 1998 Nissan Altima Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Nissan Altima Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Altima model:

Love this car.
By Tom Dodson

1998 Nissan Altima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

This is a daily commute vehicle that's been fun to drive. The 2.5l four cylinder engine performance has always impressed me. I had the automatic transaxle rebuilt at 225K miles and that's the only major work ever done. No engine work at all. 25MPG combined highway/city. 100 watt stereo/CD player, remote entry. I love the split fold down rear seats that allow you to load large cargo into a small car, really convenient. I also love the overdrive lockout button on the gear shift that allows you to use the engine compression to slow the car in traffic like a manual transmission. I'll miss that feature because the new Altima doesn't have it.

Higher quality and designed driver and front passenger seats would make the car more comfortable for large drivers. I'm 6'4" and 250lbs.

the best af all cars
By dave

1998 Nissan Altima Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan

Overall af all the cars we were searching for, this was the best. NO vibration, no problems, except for a mere door jam.

Great all around affordable car!!!!
By John F.

1998 Nissan Altima Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan

We've owned this car since 2000 and the one thing we can say about it is "Reliability". This car has never left us stranded. We have done nothing to this car except the regular scheduled maintenance. We live in NH and for the last 5 winters it's never started hard and it actually goes well in the snow too (FWD) Keep in mind this car is not a BMW nor a caddy. It's not sexy or even necessarily cool but it's been a great, reliable daily driver. It has plenty of Pep and easlily maintains 70 - 80 mph on the highway. For a mid-sized car the legroom, interior compartment space and the trunk size is surprisingly large. Seats are very comfortable, even for long road trips. Top recommendations!

Reliability / build quality without a doubt. Comfortable seats, good standard sound system.

Regular GXE package does not have full intermittent wiper feature.

High Mileage Altima
By Dragasoni

1998 Nissan Altima Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan

I bought my 98 Altima in March 2001 with 30,000 miles. Now it has over 200,000 miles! I've had almost NO problem with this car either. I had to replace the alternator at 120,000 miles and the the CV joints at 150,000 miles. The car has never broken down, and has made several long trips to New York, Miami, Orlando, and Atlanta from Tampa Bay. About 65% of the miles are higway and about 35% are city. It currently runs strong, just as it did when I first bought it. It does burn some oil (1 quart every 4,000 miles) and it's a bit slower then it was 170,000 miles ago. I don't maintain it as good as I should though. I change the oil every 5,000 miles.

I love the 150 horse power engine. It honestly feels like a small V6! It cruises along at 80 mph perfectly.

I wish the exterior looked better, and I wish it got better gas mileage. It gets 28 MPG highway and 22 city.

Great Used Car Value
By troyx

1998 Nissan Altima Sedan GLE 4dr Sedan

I brought this car a little over half a year ago with under 25K mi. to replace a totalled 99 Elantra. The jump in quality blew me away, after the last car, this one feels like a luxury car. The car I got had low mileage and almost no interior or exterior wear to speak of. It feels like a new car, even with it being over 7 years old. Handling it tight and firm, acceleration is smooth and the engine sounds quiet and refined. This car is a used car best buy, IMO. Resale value was lower than Camrys and Accords, but specs and build quality is on the same level. I haven't heard of any recalls for this generation Altima.

Strong 4 cyl. engine, smooth suspension and acceleration, leather/overall good looking interior, nice alloy wheels, overall rigid construction, keeps up with/faster than many domestic V6 sedans not much slower than new 2.5L Altima, high quality ratings, overall piece-of-mind in mechanical quality

suspension is rather vauge/spongy, wheel gaps more prominent than in comparable Accord/Camry, butt-end of car rather high up, should be lowered 1.5" or so, mediocre crash test scores, not a very quick car (good enough acceleration to keep up on crazy highways though)