Used 1998 Nissan Altima Consumer Reviews - 69 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Nissan Altima - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Altima model:

It's a great car,I'd buy another one.
By Wayne Johnson

1998 Nissan Altima SE 4dr Sedan

I just bought my 1998 Altima a week ago and I love the car, it is in excellent condition. It is very comfortable, spacious, tight, handles well, and runs very strong. To keep within the speed limit I have to use Cruise Control and that is with the 4 cylinder! My only complaint is that there is a moderate amount of road noise,especially from the agressive 60 series tires. That aside, I'd buy a new one after I own this one a little while and I've heard from many people that if you change oil regularly and keep up with an Altima, you should be able to get 225,000 to 250,000 miles out of them easily. The many car Ads I saw proved this out. Enough said.

Interior room. It is the first car with a sunroof that I've been in where I don't hit my head on the roof itself. Also,interior comfort and a 4 cylinder with power.

Road noise is a bit of an annoyance that takes getting used to.

Love this car.
By Tom Dodson

1998 Nissan Altima SE 4dr Sedan

This is a daily commute vehicle that's been fun to drive. The 2.5l four cylinder engine performance has always impressed me. I had the automatic transaxle rebuilt at 225K miles and that's the only major work ever done. No engine work at all. 25MPG combined highway/city. 100 watt stereo/CD player, remote entry. I love the split fold down rear seats that allow you to load large cargo into a small car, really convenient. I also love the overdrive lockout button on the gear shift that allows you to use the engine compression to slow the car in traffic like a manual transmission. I'll miss that feature because the new Altima doesn't have it.

Higher quality and designed driver and front passenger seats would make the car more comfortable for large drivers. I'm 6'4" and 250lbs.

the best af all cars
By dave

1998 Nissan Altima GXE 4dr Sedan

Overall af all the cars we were searching for, this was the best. NO vibration, no problems, except for a mere door jam.

Great all around affordable car!!!!
By John F.

1998 Nissan Altima GXE 4dr Sedan

We've owned this car since 2000 and the one thing we can say about it is "Reliability". This car has never left us stranded. We have done nothing to this car except the regular scheduled maintenance. We live in NH and for the last 5 winters it's never started hard and it actually goes well in the snow too (FWD) Keep in mind this car is not a BMW nor a caddy. It's not sexy or even necessarily cool but it's been a great, reliable daily driver. It has plenty of Pep and easlily maintains 70 - 80 mph on the highway. For a mid-sized car the legroom, interior compartment space and the trunk size is surprisingly large. Seats are very comfortable, even for long road trips. Top recommendations!

Reliability / build quality without a doubt. Comfortable seats, good standard sound system.

Regular GXE package does not have full intermittent wiper feature.

High Mileage Altima
By Dragasoni

1998 Nissan Altima GXE 4dr Sedan

I bought my 98 Altima in March 2001 with 30,000 miles. Now it has over 200,000 miles! I've had almost NO problem with this car either. I had to replace the alternator at 120,000 miles and the the CV joints at 150,000 miles. The car has never broken down, and has made several long trips to New York, Miami, Orlando, and Atlanta from Tampa Bay. About 65% of the miles are higway and about 35% are city. It currently runs strong, just as it did when I first bought it. It does burn some oil (1 quart every 4,000 miles) and it's a bit slower then it was 170,000 miles ago. I don't maintain it as good as I should though. I change the oil every 5,000 miles.

I love the 150 horse power engine. It honestly feels like a small V6! It cruises along at 80 mph perfectly.

I wish the exterior looked better, and I wish it got better gas mileage. It gets 28 MPG highway and 22 city.