Used 1998 Nissan Altima Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Nissan Altima - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Altima model:

Good Reliable Transportation
By Tim

1998 Nissan Altima GLE 4dr Sedan

My '98 GLE has 90,000 miles on it and I have owned it since 22,000 mi. It has treated me very well. It's not a sports car or SUV, but just sound, comfortable transportation. The car has been very reliable with no major maintenance at all. It seems to be well designed and will likely go to our daughter for many years to come. Previously had a 1983 VW Jetta that was awesome & was concerned that the Altima wouldn't measure up, but it has. Overall very good.

Comfortable, well built, and reliable. Good climate control system, spacious trunk with fold-down seats.

So-so styling, lot of road noise, some windshield noise. Some appurtenances have broken (sun visor mount broke, center console opening lever spring broke). Not super mileage, but not bad.

Runs awesome
By Matt

1998 Nissan Altima GLE 4dr Sedan

I have 83,000 miles on this car and it has served me well through college. Many people said I had the nicest car they've seen on campus although mine wasn't the newest or best by any means. The interior of the car is unlike what you see in cars of this price range nowadays. The drive is ok, it's enough to get you by. The wind/road noise is not what I would expect in a near luxury car - you can solve this by simple soundproofing. The Clarion sound system - standard on the GLE, is extremely clear and balanced - although the front is tuned a little shrill [might be the Boston Acoustics that I have there now] once you get some decent speakers on it. Better car than the competition by far.

Strong OEM Clarion stereo, good enough acceleration, nice styling, decent design, good paint [you need to keep it waxed like any other car], high quality interior, solid feel, alloys on 98 look good, maintains a brand new look for almost the life of the car

Fix the stripping in the windows to fit correctly, beef up acceleration just a tad, NOISE PROOF THE CAR!!, wear polarized sunglasses while driving or else you WILL see a glare in the windshield, make speakers STANDARD size - not 6.75", can't stand this. get rid of weird noise in the trunk

ALTIMA NISSAN: excellent car
By Ruth

1998 Nissan Altima GXE 4dr Sedan

Found a little skid in the front tires on wet uphill surfaces. Otherwise, a perfect car; never ever a mechanical problem. Not once. A fantastic machine.

Still impresses People
By Jess

1998 Nissan Altima GLE 4dr Sedan

I Love my car. I have a 98 GLE and it is dependable and it still looks good. Its still drives excellent and has nearly 130,000 miles on it and I have never had any major problems. People still get in my car and tell me wow this is pretty nice. And i have come to love the rear end, but I have a spoiler which really evens things out.

Leather Seats, looks, fun to drive.

better speakers

It's a great car,I'd buy another one.
By Wayne Johnson

1998 Nissan Altima SE 4dr Sedan

I just bought my 1998 Altima a week ago and I love the car, it is in excellent condition. It is very comfortable, spacious, tight, handles well, and runs very strong. To keep within the speed limit I have to use Cruise Control and that is with the 4 cylinder! My only complaint is that there is a moderate amount of road noise,especially from the agressive 60 series tires. That aside, I'd buy a new one after I own this one a little while and I've heard from many people that if you change oil regularly and keep up with an Altima, you should be able to get 225,000 to 250,000 miles out of them easily. The many car Ads I saw proved this out. Enough said.

Interior room. It is the first car with a sunroof that I've been in where I don't hit my head on the roof itself. Also,interior comfort and a 4 cylinder with power.

Road noise is a bit of an annoyance that takes getting used to.