Used 1998 Nissan Altima Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Nissan Altima - Consumer Reviews

1998 Nissan Altima

View reviews for a specific Altima model:

Loved and Lost
By Lucky7

1998 Nissan Altima GLE 4dr Sedan

My '98 Altima GLE was killed in a crash, and I miss it so much. It's been 3 months, and I've tried to replace it wit the same style (98-2001) and trim, but they're hard to find. So no luck so far. I've gone 3 months without a car just because I can't bear to own something else. This really was a tremendous car. Not only did it keep me safe during the rear-end that totaled it (airbags didn't deploy, though), I never had a major problem with this car. The driver's power window went out after a couple years but it wasn't too expensive to fix. It had 130,000 miles on it and I would have gotten another 130,000, I think. Can't go wrong with this car.

Favorite Features

Roomy leather interior. Reliability.

Suggested Improvements

Mine didn't have keyless entry, and the wheel base is so wide, U-turns aren't an option in most cases. But nothing major.

Bullet Proof!
By Daddyniowa

1998 Nissan Altima GXE 4dr Sedan

When I bought this car it had about 59,000 miles on it. It is a five speed. The only modifications I have made is opened up the exhaust and installed a "Tornado fuel saver". I do use Mobile One full synthetic motor oil changed every 8,000 miles, and synthetic gear lube as well. I have owned a lot of Japanese cars in my past, and I have to say this one is one of the very best! I consistently get 32 to 34 mpg on the highway which is most all that I drive. It corners very well, and if you redline 3rd gear you are doing exactly 103 mph! Whenever I give a friend a ride or let them drive it they cannot believe the power and torque that it has. As as far as repairs there have not been any yet!

Favorite Features

Reliability, speed, torque, cornering ability.

Suggested Improvements

Has some road noise and also some creaks and ticking noises in the interior. Not as solidly built inside as say a Toyota.

Good Dependable Automobile
By RodR7679

1998 Nissan Altima SE 4dr Sedan

Excellent car. This car was dependable even at 15 degrees below 0 F and handled good even in snowy winter driving.

Favorite Features

The automatic transmission with the 2.4L I4 DOHC 16V FI Engine provided good power and acceleration. Excellent visibility all around from the drivers seat. No blind spots!

Suggested Improvements

ABS would have been nice. Also would have liked disc brakes for the rear wheels.

Good Alternative to Accord and Camry
By Donna (TX)

1998 Nissan Altima GLE 4dr Sedan

For less money than the Accord and Camry, you're getting a car with similar reliability and build quality. I owned this car for 5 years and never had any, even minor, problems. Service only involved regular oil changes and such. The car did have a horrible turning radius for its size.

Favorite Features

Sun roof, sound system.

Suggested Improvements

Better turning radius.

Good Reliable Transportation
By Tim

1998 Nissan Altima GLE 4dr Sedan

My '98 GLE has 90,000 miles on it and I have owned it since 22,000 mi. It has treated me very well. It's not a sports car or SUV, but just sound, comfortable transportation. The car has been very reliable with no major maintenance at all. It seems to be well designed and will likely go to our daughter for many years to come. Previously had a 1983 VW Jetta that was awesome & was concerned that the Altima wouldn't measure up, but it has. Overall very good.

Favorite Features

Comfortable, well built, and reliable. Good climate control system, spacious trunk with fold-down seats.

Suggested Improvements

So-so styling, lot of road noise, some windshield noise. Some appurtenances have broken (sun visor mount broke, center console opening lever spring broke). Not super mileage, but not bad.