Used 1998 Nissan Altima Consumer Reviews - 69 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Nissan Altima - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Altima model:

Luxury
By jbesad01

1998 Nissan Altima GXE 4dr Sedan

I got mine for 3,200 from a private seller who had taken good care of it since the day it was bought. The inside of this car is beautiful. I felt like I was driving something I paid $20,000 for. Great combination of power and mileage. I got 33mpg once on a long trip. I love this car.

interior, looks nice and polished

My best car ever!
By Daddyniowa

1998 Nissan Altima GXE 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car with 58,000 miles on it and it is a five speed manual transmission. I only opened up the exhaust and installed a Tornado fuelsaver (for whatever thats worth). I burn Mobile one full synthetic oil in it changed at every 8,000 miles. For some time now I use the car 100 miles five days a week to commute my non-driving wife to work. I have done "nothing" to the car basically except put gas in it. Gets anywhere from 31 to 34 mpg on highway, and shifts out of third gear at 103 mph! Uses one half a quart of synthetic oil every 8,000 miles. If you see a white 1998 Nissan Altima in northern Mo. to Southern Iowa screaming down I-35 highway, that would be me!

I'm almost fifty two years old, and have owned a lot of fast mostly import cars, and this would be one of them. Sure it has some road noises and squeaks, but they are hardly noticeable to me over the sound of the tires turning over. I have driven all of my cars hard and this one more than delivers.

Better seals around windows,also to dampen road noise and interior squeeks. But the engine absolutely "rocks" and is bulletproof! I have 143,000 miles on it to date and it drives like a new car and still screams!

Loved and Lost
By Lucky7

1998 Nissan Altima GLE 4dr Sedan

My '98 Altima GLE was killed in a crash, and I miss it so much. It's been 3 months, and I've tried to replace it wit the same style (98-2001) and trim, but they're hard to find. So no luck so far. I've gone 3 months without a car just because I can't bear to own something else. This really was a tremendous car. Not only did it keep me safe during the rear-end that totaled it (airbags didn't deploy, though), I never had a major problem with this car. The driver's power window went out after a couple years but it wasn't too expensive to fix. It had 130,000 miles on it and I would have gotten another 130,000, I think. Can't go wrong with this car.

Roomy leather interior. Reliability.

Mine didn't have keyless entry, and the wheel base is so wide, U-turns aren't an option in most cases. But nothing major.

Bullet Proof!
By Daddyniowa

1998 Nissan Altima GXE 4dr Sedan

When I bought this car it had about 59,000 miles on it. It is a five speed. The only modifications I have made is opened up the exhaust and installed a "Tornado fuel saver". I do use Mobile One full synthetic motor oil changed every 8,000 miles, and synthetic gear lube as well. I have owned a lot of Japanese cars in my past, and I have to say this one is one of the very best! I consistently get 32 to 34 mpg on the highway which is most all that I drive. It corners very well, and if you redline 3rd gear you are doing exactly 103 mph! Whenever I give a friend a ride or let them drive it they cannot believe the power and torque that it has. As as far as repairs there have not been any yet!

Reliability, speed, torque, cornering ability.

Has some road noise and also some creaks and ticking noises in the interior. Not as solidly built inside as say a Toyota.

Good Dependable Automobile
By RodR7679

1998 Nissan Altima SE 4dr Sedan

Excellent car. This car was dependable even at 15 degrees below 0 F and handled good even in snowy winter driving.

The automatic transmission with the 2.4L I4 DOHC 16V FI Engine provided good power and acceleration. Excellent visibility all around from the drivers seat. No blind spots!

ABS would have been nice. Also would have liked disc brakes for the rear wheels.