Used 1998 Nissan Altima Sedan Consumer Reviews - 69 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Nissan Altima Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Altima model:

great delivery car
By R.Rushing

1998 Nissan Altima Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan

This is a great car. The handling is really good, not what you expect when looking at it. U-turns can be a problem. Has great power concerning the 2.4 4 cylinder engine. Roomy on the inside & I'm 6'4''. Everything is in a good place to reach. The outside is nice, only the back doesn't look right without the spoiler. The sound is great with standard cd & tape players. Very good on gas. I've been a delivery driver since 05 & put well over 100,000 miles on it. Besides the normal (tiers, brakes, oil) i only spent about $700 on a fuel pump. I only paid $500 for the car but would have paid 4x that.

The power & handing makes you feels like you are driving a sports car. It over 10years old & rides like it's only 5years old. All the miles i put on it. Weather its delivering food all day at work or going back & forth from D.C. to Baltimore. This car has been there for me.

spoiler & better u-turn ability.

Well worth the money!
By Ernie

1998 Nissan Altima Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan

I have owned my Nissan Altima for just over 10 years. In that time, I have managed to accumulate over 200,000 miles on my vehicle with very little major repairs. I changed the oil, rotated and changed tires, and got regular tune ups done, but that is about it. The car still runs great. It was money well spent.

Great, dependable Car
By auntieannie2

1998 Nissan Altima Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan

This 1998 Altima GXE was my first brand new car and, after owning a series of VWs, I enjoyed the reliability and sporty looks of this car. I now have 176,000 miles on it, only ever needed tires, brakes, tune ups until two months ago, when the engine finally went out, ONLY because I got very lazy on the oil changes, mind you! I put in a used Japanese engine and it runs like a charm again but it now has a steering fluid leak that has to be fixed. I think its to be expected at 176000 miles. Its been a fantastic car and I would highly recommend it.

Sooo reliable, roomy, comfortable seats and controls, stylish, sporty looking.

1998 gxe audio system does not sound that good, could improve. Left window rattles at higher speeds.

Good Trooper
By northwest

1998 Nissan Altima Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan

Given as a gift after graduation, 65000 miles. Thanks aunty, some parts were modified for more power and sound, in turn most stock problems never happened. Runs like a champ with mobile 1 syn every 4000miles. Ngk sparkys & wires. I still get 22-25 city, 37+ highway. No prob w/engine yet. I have good mechanics:). 144300 miles strong.

After modification. I peel out at 2k rpm dead stop up hill by accident, yokohamas aren't cheap. Torque is fierce. It is a bit louder than most, but still a sleeper.

Weather stripping along the doors, too much wind noise past 60+ mph and door and rear speakers all blown :( no lumbar support.

Our Marshmallow Car
By MITZI

1998 Nissan Altima Sedan GLE 4dr Sedan

My grandkids call this the marshmallow car, because it's white & looks like a big marshmallow. I've replaced the CV joints on it and that's about it. I have fun driving my car, it has got me out of some scary jams on the freeway. It accelerates rapidly & is easy to speed in. I got my last ticket in it about 3 years ago going over 100 mph as I had neglected to set the cruise control. I hadn't even noticed. I have 128,000 miles on it & almost feel like it's a pet. I've never been one to attach to material objects but this one has inspired emotional attachment. I'll keep it until it's ready for the scrap heap. I'll never trade it off. I willing to paint it or whatever, it's a keeper.

Peppiness, fun to drive. DEPENDABILITY! Remarkably dependable under the hood. Steering. Wood grain console. 4 cyl engine has remarkable power. Mileage acceptable for my use. Handles well in heavy snow. It's 10 years old & the heater, air conditioner & rear window defrost still work. Heater is hot.

Body integrity seems a little flimsy, especially in the trunk. Visor mount broke,radio button came off & drivers window contact stubborn. Road noise. Radio control knob stripped. Right front speaker busted.So the problem with this car is body & trim integrity.