1998 Nissan Altima - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Altima model:
Long-life reliable car
By Joe on 05/12/08 11:52 AM (PDT)

1998 Nissan Altima SE 4dr Sedan

My Altima SE is a 5 spd manual which makes a 4 cyl a little more fun! Bought the car at 124k in fall '04 and will be retiring it soon with 190k. No real problems until last few months - engine is still great. Still using original clutch (needs replacement). Odometer broke a few months ago, and windshield wiper motor just died. Those are the only mechanical things to go wrong in the 4 years I've owned it... not bad! I am now looking to buy an '05 Altima because they are very reliable.

Reliable until now!
By russ on 03/17/08 10:52 AM (PDT)

1998 Nissan Altima SE 4dr Sedan

Up to last Saturday, my 10 year old Altima has been nothing but ultra reliable. It is a noisier car on the highway, especially compared to my wife's Accord, but otherwise a nice car to drive. It handles well, accelerates very well, with power to spare from its 4 cyl engine. Cruise control is a "must" to avoid speeding tickets! Until 3/14/2008, biggest maintenance expense has been for tires (Arizona roads eat them!), and minor maintenance. Saturday (3/15/8) morning, at 65 mph on the freeway the transmission failed. Car has 144,000 km (89,300 miles) on it. Failure occured within coasting distance of a dealership. Cost to repair almost $5,000. Grrrr!!

Best Car So Far!
By ck1986 on 02/19/08 17:37 PM (PST)

1998 Nissan Altima GLE 4dr Sedan

Considering the only other vehicle I've owned was an 88 Buick Regal this was quite the improvement! I received this car as a gift from my grandfather in the summer of 07. It's been a great car since. He did have some work done previous to my ownership (replaced the front axle as well as the head gasket two years ago) I haven't experienced any major problems, although as of this week I've been experiencing some over heating issues. Hopefully a problem soon to be easily solved. Everyone who's driven the car has been amazed, apparently it's not what they've expected out of a ten year old nissan. So far so good!

Luxury
By jbesad01 on 02/15/08 13:24 PM (PST)

1998 Nissan Altima GXE 4dr Sedan

I got mine for 3,200 from a private seller who had taken good care of it since the day it was bought. The inside of this car is beautiful. I felt like I was driving something I paid $20,000 for. Great combination of power and mileage. I got 33mpg once on a long trip. I love this car.

My best car ever!
By Daddyniowa on 02/13/08 22:31 PM (PST)

1998 Nissan Altima GXE 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car with 58,000 miles on it and it is a five speed manual transmission. I only opened up the exhaust and installed a Tornado fuelsaver (for whatever thats worth). I burn Mobile one full synthetic oil in it changed at every 8,000 miles. For some time now I use the car 100 miles five days a week to commute my non-driving wife to work. I have done "nothing" to the car basically except put gas in it. Gets anywhere from 31 to 34 mpg on highway, and shifts out of third gear at 103 mph! Uses one half a quart of synthetic oil every 8,000 miles. If you see a white 1998 Nissan Altima in northern Mo. to Southern Iowa screaming down I-35 highway, that would be me!

Loved and Lost
By Lucky7 on 10/29/07 05:57 AM (PDT)

1998 Nissan Altima GLE 4dr Sedan

My '98 Altima GLE was killed in a crash, and I miss it so much. It's been 3 months, and I've tried to replace it wit the same style (98-2001) and trim, but they're hard to find. So no luck so far. I've gone 3 months without a car just because I can't bear to own something else. This really was a tremendous car. Not only did it keep me safe during the rear-end that totaled it (airbags didn't deploy, though), I never had a major problem with this car. The driver's power window went out after a couple years but it wasn't too expensive to fix. It had 130,000 miles on it and I would have gotten another 130,000, I think. Can't go wrong with this car.

Bullet Proof!
By Daddyniowa on 08/27/07 12:32 PM (PDT)

1998 Nissan Altima GXE 4dr Sedan

When I bought this car it had about 59,000 miles on it. It is a five speed. The only modifications I have made is opened up the exhaust and installed a "Tornado fuel saver". I do use Mobile One full synthetic motor oil changed every 8,000 miles, and synthetic gear lube as well. I have owned a lot of Japanese cars in my past, and I have to say this one is one of the very best! I consistently get 32 to 34 mpg on the highway which is most all that I drive. It corners very well, and if you redline 3rd gear you are doing exactly 103 mph! Whenever I give a friend a ride or let them drive it they cannot believe the power and torque that it has. As as far as repairs there have not been any yet!

Good Dependable Automobile
By RodR7679 on 08/17/07 21:32 PM (PDT)

1998 Nissan Altima SE 4dr Sedan

Excellent car. This car was dependable even at 15 degrees below 0 F and handled good even in snowy winter driving.

Good Alternative to Accord and Camry
By Donna (TX) on 06/11/07 15:00 PM (PDT)

1998 Nissan Altima GLE 4dr Sedan

For less money than the Accord and Camry, you're getting a car with similar reliability and build quality. I owned this car for 5 years and never had any, even minor, problems. Service only involved regular oil changes and such. The car did have a horrible turning radius for its size.

Good Reliable Transportation
By Tim on 01/14/07 19:19 PM (PST)

1998 Nissan Altima GLE 4dr Sedan

My '98 GLE has 90,000 miles on it and I have owned it since 22,000 mi. It has treated me very well. It's not a sports car or SUV, but just sound, comfortable transportation. The car has been very reliable with no major maintenance at all. It seems to be well designed and will likely go to our daughter for many years to come. Previously had a 1983 VW Jetta that was awesome & was concerned that the Altima wouldn't measure up, but it has. Overall very good.